why does mezz charge more

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
for different joint types
i was looking at the wx900 and its $35 more for radial or 3/8x10 or uniloc or 5/16x18
compared to price for 5/16x14 united or wavy joints
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
My guess would be to sway you into buying their butt to match with their shafts

i was looking at the wx900 and its $35 more for radial or 3/8x10 or uniloc or 5/16x18

I am actually surprised that Mezz offers an option for other joint types, other then the United and Wavy joints.

I assume that most people who shop for a Mezz, want a Mezz because they are known to be very solid hitting cues.

I believe that the reason they have such a solid hit has to do with how solid their joints comes together.

I do not know about the United joint, but I have read that it is a super solid connecting joint, like the way that a Schon connects for example, to give it such a solid hit.

Have you ever screwed together a Mezz cue, with the Wavy joint?

It is not easy to screw together, and you can feel each turn, as you are screwing the joint together. It really helps to give that cue that 1 piece feel that makes the cue hit so solid.

The Radial Pin, or the 3/8x10 pin joints just do not screw together nearly as tight as the Wavy joint, in my opinion.

I imagine the same can be said for the United joint, vs the 5/16x14 joint. I imagine the connection on the United joint is more solid then the average 5/16x14 piloted joint.

Anyways, I highly recommend that you get one of their standard joint pins, but the Wavy feels amazing, and gives the hit such a solid feel to it, if that makes sense.

I assume the up charge is because they have to take one of their regular stocked shafts, and cue butts, and convert them to the pin of your choice.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was disappointed that my Mezz ignite carbon fiber wavy shaft did not screw together nearly as tightly
as any of the other wavy shafts or United shafts that I have.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was disappointed that my Mezz ignite carbon fiber wavy shaft did not screw together nearly as tightly
as any of the other wavy shafts or United shafts that I have.

I think that might have been done intentionally by Mezz cause its carbon composite

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a mezz alpha hybrid from mezz usa for 250 on sale....with a 5/16x14 insert instead of united. They did not charge for the option

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see now that they do charge for different joints on other shafting

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member

My guess would be the wavy joint and the united are Mezz's proprietary joints.

Any change to this means work, to change equipment [possibly chucks, adjust computer programming for different cuts, etc] and get your spec joint in their Mezz product.

>> happy Mezz owner :)

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I am actually surprised that Mezz offers an option for other joint types, other then the United and Wavy joints.

I assume that most people who shop for a Mezz, want a Mezz because they are known to be very solid hitting cues.

I believe that the reason they have such a solid hit has to do with how solid their joints comes together.

I do not know about the United joint, but I have read that it is a super solid connecting joint, like the way that a Schon connects for example, to give it such a solid hit.

Have you ever screwed together a Mezz cue, with the Wavy joint?

It is not easy to screw together, and you can feel each turn, as you are screwing the joint together. It really helps to give that cue that 1 piece feel that makes the cue hit so solid.

The Radial Pin, or the 3/8x10 pin joints just do not screw together nearly as tight as the Wavy joint, in my opinion.

I imagine the same can be said for the United joint, vs the 5/16x14 joint. I imagine the connection on the United joint is more solid then the average 5/16x14 piloted joint.

Anyways, I highly recommend that you get one of their standard joint pins, but the Wavy feels amazing, and gives the hit such a solid feel to it, if that makes sense.

I assume the up charge is because they have to take one of their regular stocked shafts, and cue butts, and convert them to the pin of your choice.

One thing I hate about newsgroups is that someone can write decently well, and influence people, without having a shred of knowledge about why joints are tight, and what the joint pin has to do with that.

Lots of imagining and assumptions. Perhaps an "hmm...I don't know" would work better than conjecture based purely on what you have read.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I hate about newsgroups is that someone can write decently well, and influence people, without having a shred of knowledge about why joints are tight, and what the joint pin has to do with that.

Lots of imagining and assumptions. Perhaps an "hmm...I don't know" would work better than conjecture based purely on what you have read.
So please enlighten us with your knowledge regarding this specific topic?

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
So please enlighten us with your knowledge regarding this specific topic?

If I need to explain the difference between threads cut into wood directly, vs threads cut directly into a phenolic tube, perhaps you need more enlightening than most.

I only meant to post my personal opinion based on my experiences with different cues.

I have never felt a more secure fit on any other cue then on a Mezz with the Mezz Wavy joint shaft.

I feel that it gives the cue a more solid hit then I have ever felt with any other cue, and I think that has to do with how tightly the Wavy joint pin screws into the Wavy threads of a Mezz shaft. It is the tightest fit that I have ever felt on a cue, and the Mezz Wavy joint cue hits super solid, thanks to how solid the joint screws together.

I mentioned Schon too, because I know how solid those cues hit, and I believe at at least in part, the hit has to do with that huge pilot, and how solid the Schon joint fits together. I imagine the Mezz United joint fits together in a similar way, and have been told that too, about how solid the Mezz United joint fits together with a Mezz United shaft.

So, that is why I do not understand why anyone would want to buy a Mezz, but not want one of their amazing joints (United or Wavy) with their new Mezz cue.

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I only meant to post my personal opinion based on my experiences with different cues.

I have never felt a more secure fit on any other cue then on a Mezz with the Mezz Wavy joint shaft.

I feel that it gives the cue a more solid hit then I have ever felt with any other cue, and I think that has to do with how tightly the Wavy joint pin screws into the Wavy threads of a Mezz shaft. It is the tightest fit that I have ever felt on a cue, and the Mezz Wavy joint cue hits super solid, thanks to how solid the joint screws together.

I mentioned Schon too, because I know how solid those cues hit, and I believe at at least in part, the hit has to do with that huge pilot, and how solid the Schon joint fits together. I imagine the Mezz United joint fits together in a similar way, and have been told that too, about how solid the Mezz United joint fits together with a Mezz United shaft.

So, that is why I do not understand why anyone would want to buy a Mezz, but not want one of their amazing joints (United or Wavy) with their new Mezz cue.

I don’t think the OP was talking about changing joints in a Mezz cue and was referring to picking up a Mezz shaft in a different joint to fit a cue he already had. I agree that Mezz has a great fit with their pins. But they also make great shafts and I have considered picking up an Ignite in 3/8x10 to fit my Diveney.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz makes cues in two joints: United Joint and Wavy Joint. If you want your Mezz shaft in Radial, 5/16-18 or whatever, you pay a little more as it deviates from the standard production line.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member

Justin, this has been done countless times. People with true experience and knowledge have engaged you in the past, and it results in the same thing - you slathering this page with half baked infomercials and a lot of conjecture.

I refuse to add to your personal database of half assed cue facts. I’m out.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Solid" iDk if joint pin has much to do with it. The pin centers and holds the shaft on the cue. As long as it does that it does not add much if anything at all to the solid hit a cue might have. I guarantee nobody can tell the difference in joint pin as long as its constructed and installed properly while playing. Outside of maybe a balance difference in the cue .
I appreciate the tight fit of mezz joints tho it has a "quality" feel to it. They are great cues. I own two.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
"Solid" iDk if joint pin has much to do with it. The pin centers and holds the shaft on the cue. As long as it does that it does not add much if anything at all to the solid hit a cue might have. I guarantee nobody can tell the difference in joint pin as long as its constructed and installed properly while playing. Outside of maybe a balance difference in the cue .
I appreciate the tight fit of mezz joints tho it has a "quality" feel to it. They are great cues. I own two.

The one piece tapered core, and Purpleheart handle section do a lot for the hit. Not the joint, as Justin seems to believe.

Personal edit: it’s a reddish wood that looks like either blood wood, or a very red Purpleheart. If anyone knows what this is, please correct me!

Last edited:

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red color wood

Your thinking of Padauk maybe.
Here is mine. Its padauk. Really cool wood. Gots an orange brown red thing going on. Cool grain too

Attachments

• 20200527_155017-1.jpg
    20200527_155017-1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 289

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Have you contacted them with that question?

Keith

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Your thinking of Padauk maybe.
Here is mine. Its padauk. Really cool wood. Gots an orange brown red thing going on. Cool grain too

No. It isn’t padauk. You’d have to cut the wrap off to see what I mean. There’s an exotic wood under the wrap section.