One Pocket on a 7 ft?

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize I may be flamed for asking this but: I only had room for a 3 1/2 x 7 at home and live 2 hours from the nearest 9 ft tables. I realize many despise the "bar boxes" but given my situation could I still begin to learn the fundamental strategies of 1 pocket on my small table? Hopefully someday(post Covid) I will be able to trek once weekly to the big tables but just wonder if it's advisable to practice 1pkt on my smaller table. Thanks In Advance,Mike S.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4th row break
Never leave a combo or a shot period
Keep clutter to a min. Don't open more balls
than needed.
It is a totally different game on the short track

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize I may be flamed for asking this but: I only had room for a 3 1/2 x 7 at home and live 2 hours from the nearest 9 ft tables. I realize many despise the "bar boxes" but given my situation could I still begin to learn the fundamental strategies of 1 pocket on my small table? Hopefully someday(post Covid) I will be able to trek once weekly to the big tables but just wonder if it's advisable to practice 1pkt on my smaller table. Thanks In Advance,Mike S.
I'd rather have a root canal.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

The 3.5 X 7.0 should be fine to learn the game. I do not see no problem, except moving to a larger 4.5 X 9.0. Transition should be faster then doing nothing.

Have fun learning the Best GAME in POOL, IMHO.:)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think it's possible to learn a few key things with the understanding that the principles involved will change markedly on the larger table.

If I had to do this I would play with a 10-ball or maybe even a six ball rack. And I really wouldn't focus on the offensive part of the game as much as the defensive part of it and work on safeties, caroms, and takeout shots. It's still going to be a whole different bag of squirrels when you play on a 9 footer but it's something.

Lou Figueroa

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem-it’s fun

I play on a 6 foot valley. It’s a blast. In many ways harder than a 9

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can learn the principle strategies associated with one pocket, especially defense.
But no bones about it, the game is much, much more difficult & challenging on a 9’ table.

IMO, the transition would be arduous because of the table area when separating the balls.
If 1 pocket was your main goal on a 7’ table, since you can’t get a 9’ table, change your goal.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing that you probably can't work on effectively is bank shots. Are your rails anything like the 9-foot tables you play on? Little safeties off a cushion with spin might be different too.

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that you probably can't work on effectively is bank shots. Are your rails anything like the 9-foot tables you play on? Little safeties off a cushion with spin might be different too.

Bob,They are Ridgeback rails. I just started playing again after a 14 yr hiatus.I don’t know about the rails on the 9 ft tables as I haven’t been to get out to play them due to Covid. As suggested earlier perhaps I should currenty continue centrate on rotation games on the 3 1/2 x 7. Thanks for the input. Respectfully,Mike S

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can learn the principle strategies associated with one pocket, especially defense.
But no bones about it, the game is much, much more difficult & challenging on a 9’ table.

IMO, the transition would be arduous because of the table area when separating the balls.
If 1 pocket was your main goal on a 7’ table, since you can’t get a 9’ table, change your goal.

Possibly my best option.Thanks for your input.Respectfully,Mike S

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's possible to learn a few key things with the understanding that the principles involved will change markedly on the larger table.

If I had to do this I would play with a 10-ball or maybe even a six ball rack. And I really wouldn't focus on the offensive part of the game as much as the defensive part of it and work on safeties, caroms, and takeout shots. It's still going to be a whole different bag of squirrels when you play on a 9 footer but it's something.

Lou Figueroa

Thanks Lou. I need to put in some FaceTime at the table or I guess the squirrels will continue to outrun me at any game!😄😄

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 3.5 X 7.0 should be fine to learn the game. I do not see no problem, except moving to a larger 4.5 X 9.0. Transition should be faster then doing nothing.

Have fun learning the Best GAME in POOL, IMHO.:)

Thanks for the encouragement!! Respectfully,Mike S

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go for it! Especially with upgraded rails.

There is a really good one pocket tape I can’t remember the guys name. He’s about 70 in the video showing a bunch of one pocket shots on I guess his home table. Anyway it’s a barbox. He died about 10 years ago.

Edit: the Willie Joppling instructional tapes are the ones I’m referring to.

Edit #2: It might have been Toledo Joe and not Willie Joppling. I watched so many one hole tapes over the past 25 years they all blend together. Anyway here is a short clip I found from Toledo Joe playing a one hole shot on a bar table:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfh2_qO8zgY

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i have a 6.5fter that im getting my 14.1 on with
im up to 23, highest in a few yrs, it has pro cut pockets 4.25 inch

work with what you have, hoping to break my high and get into the 30s this yr

Last edited: