Breaking News: Lawyers, Loopholes, Covid 19 & Room Owners

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An update to my orig post:

The State of CT has backed off and is allowing our pool rooms to remain open with the current distancing and sanitizing protocols.

Currently CT is doing really well with .6 % positive covid testing.

stay safe everyone!

best,
brian kc

Really? CT has the highest mortality rate for confirmed covid cases at 9.05% (NJ
is second at 8.59%) and is third worse in deaths per million of population, at 1,238, behind only NY and NJ. As compared to, say, the bad boy state of Floride which has a confirmed case mortality rate of 1.41% and 263 deaths per million of population.

Even my own state of CO has a confirmed case mortality rate of 4.16% (compared to our national rate of 3.50%) and 311 deaths per million of population (compared to the national rate of 454 per million of population.).

CT may be doing "well" for a Northeast state but here in flyover country we have different standards. You can't cherry pick one metric, you have to look at the whole picture.

The problem isn't that people don't understand statistics, it is that people don't look at the numbers.

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Funny you didn't mention the APA barhacks of America douche pickle that started the mess...

JV

An update to my orig post:

The State of CT has backed off and is allowing our pool rooms to remain open with the current distancing and sanitizing protocols.

Currently CT is doing really well with .6 % positive covid testing.

stay safe everyone!

best,
brian kc

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Really? CT has the highest mortality rate for confirmed covid cases at 9.05% (NJ
is second at 8.59%) and is third worse in deaths per million of population, at 1,238, behind only NY and NJ. As compared to, say, the bad boy state of Floride which has a confirmed case mortality rate of 1.41% and 263 deaths per million of population.

Even my own state of CO has a confirmed case mortality rate of 4.16% (compared to our national rate of 3.50%) and 311 deaths per million of population (compared to the national rate of 454 per million of population.).

CT may be doing "well" for a Northeast state but here in flyover country we have different standards. You can't cherry pick one metric, you have to look at the whole picture.

The problem isn't that people don't understand statistics, it is that people don't look at the numbers.

Are you disagreeing with my statement that you quoted where I said "CT is currently doing very well"?

you may have missed the word "currently" and it makes a big difference. ;)

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Florida has 47,033 closed cases, either alive after 42 days or dead. 41,255 alive ( 88% ) and 5778 dead. ( 12% )

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

That is a clever way to give the impression of a vastly overstated mortality rate, because it ignores all of the active case people until they are still alive after 42 days. But it includes deaths of people who became cases in those 42 days.

If they were trying to do a reasonable mortality rate they would take the cohort of active cases on a given date, and then at the end of 42 days see how many are still alive and how many are dead.

So I guess that people don't look at the numbers or don't understand how the numbers can be presented to give the mathematically illiterate a completely wrong impression

Florida has over 400,000 active cases, which makes a hash of the implicated high mortality rate from worldmeter.

I think the tables on the left-leaning RealClearPolitics site of state and national data provide the best data without the statistical games worldmeter likes to play.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just yesterday the State of CT started telling pool halls who were allowed to reopen in CT's version of phase 2 that they now had to close again yet other similar businesses like bowling alleys are allowed to remain open.

Apparently, here's why the state is trying to do this. Reportedly, a number of clever bar owners who have been forced to remain closed for close to 5 months now are clearing out some of their interior space and installing a couple pool tables then declaring themselves as a "pool hall" so they can reopen their doors. Respect to them for trying to jump through a loophole but, unfortunately, the State of CT is not amused and is teetering on ordering the closeure of all pool halls.

Inside info tells me about a half dozen CT room owners have hired an attorney to hopefully protect their interest in this decision.

Here's a news clip where the room owners at Yale Billiards were interviewed about this yesterday.

https://www.wfsb.com/news/state-shu...cle_f90b235a-cc51-11ea-aea4-1fe3753068be.html

This is a nice room, I was there just a few days ago and I hope they will be allowed to stay open.

My local room owner at Shooters Southington says he'll be open today but that the state is scheduled to take this matter up today and it could end with a closure.

Any CT residents who wish to offer their opinion are encouraged to call CT state authorities at 860-500-2300 to ask that pool halls be allowed to remain open. If calling, request to speak with the commissioner or deputy commissioner.

best,
brian kc

More useless government idiots trying to run our lives

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is ironically sad, if not pathetic, that the debate has come down to arguing over how many deaths
& illness problems associated with COVID-19 seems to be acceptable as the new norm of daily life.

Guys, get real. The death rate is higher than it had to be, and still is, because people are stubborn,
government leaders abdicate accepting responsibility, exert little leadership, and deny how bad it is.

Letting politicians decide the safety and welfare of the U.S. population is like letting your lawyer perform
open heart surgery. It’s stupid since they aren’t qualified. Only medical experts should have the final say.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please. You really believe this is part some master plan????

some are clueless,
first,
everyone, anyone can vote.
then Islam destroyed the concept of safe passage and
now china has slaughtered the liberty of association.

...all clear now?

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to my first pool hall in months tonight. There was a tournament going on. Out of the 60 or so people including the staff and owners. Two people had a mask on, me and one other. There was many people I knew including one pro. Forget social distancing not needed nor are masks. It says so on the door but forget that. I lasted about 60 seconds and out the ****ing door I went. If they have such disregard for the guidlines and each other's lives how do they think Covid will ever be controlled. They are their own worst enemy and ultimately will prolong the pandemic.. It is a nightmare. No more pool halls for a while...

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went to my first pool hall in months tonight. There was a tournament going on. Out of the 60 or so people including the staff and owners. Two people had a mask on, me and one other. There was many people I knew including one pro. Forget social distancing not needed nor are masks. It says so on the door but forget that. I lasted about 60 seconds and out the ****ing door I went. If they have such disregard for the guidlines and each other's lives how do they think Covid will ever be controlled. They are their own worst enemy and ultimately will prolong the pandemic.. It is a nightmare. No more pool halls for a while...
Yep, I really miss pool, but I’m not in any hurry to get out amongst the masses.
I have to go to work and the grocery, that’s about it. I am a bit encouraged, most people are wearing masks, but I know the bars are a different story.

MooseKnuckle

Registered
Some perspective and observations :

Automotive/transportation was one of the sectors that never stopped working. Besides grocery store clerks who touch everything, you would expect auto technicians to be dropping dead like flies after touching the steering wheel, door handles and switches.

Some car dealers would "lysol" the interior but that didn't start till late in the doom panic and now at the end of July almost none of them bother with it other than a few high end dealerships like Mercedes etc.

It's all a front, the customer service writers pretend to be concerned and do wear a mask but if you walk out back into the shop, none of the technicians are concerned about it.

Your mileage may vary. :)