any pros use <58" cue?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just watching t-rex play and his cue looked short
any chance it actually is? any other pros playing with shorties?

smoochie

NotLikeThis
In the 70s and 80s cues were actually 57"

Come to mind Buddy Hall used to play with 57" up till the 90s, he also swore by that cue to be the best cue he ever played with.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anytime I have played with a quality 57" cue, it always seems to feel better in my hands in terms of balance- Most cues are made at 58" now unless you ask for a special custom. Personally liked the 57 better- I'm at 5 foot 10" - if I were to have a cue made from the lathe i would want something less than 58.

I don't know why 58 became the new standard- interesting question. maybe the general population just got taller - which is probably true.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pat Fleming played with a shorter cue during his playing career. I think 55” or 56”. (I recall him saying that in a video somewhere...)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Come to mind Buddy Hall used to play with 57" up till the 90s, he also swore by that cue to be the best cue he ever played with.

Above is right, 57" was standard, until 58" because sort of standard. Cuemaker Dle Teague use to do skinning 60" - 62" as his magic formula.

Talk about a weird guy/Cuemaker? Very strange ideas.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
Pat Fleming played with a shorter cue during his playing career. I think 55” or 56”. (I recall him saying that in a video somewhere...)

Yeah,Pat told my once shooting with a cue as short as his, it was almost like cheating.
I played him a few times and I am pretty sure he could pocket balls with anything !

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He says that about every cue 'cause he's trying to sell it off. I first met him in '79 and he used a 58 then and every other time i've seen him play.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would imagine that the majority of today's pros use 58" cues, since that has been the standard length for years.

When I started, 57" was the standard.

I still have my first custom cue and it is 57"...looks like brand new.

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my entire life I've never worried about cue length. I've just played with standard cues and shoot the balls in.

I guess I didn't even know the length of my cue. I thought it was 57" but maybe it's 58". I use a Predator something with a Revo 1shaft.

I'm not sure it really matters as long as you get used to it. If there's an advantage to a certain length I don't see that it's been proven in any way. I guess I'm just posting this to speak up for those of us who aren't equipment guys and get something and make it work.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my entire life I've never worried about cue length. I've just played with standard cues and shoot the balls in.

I guess I didn't even know the length of my cue. I thought it was 57" but maybe it's 58". I use a Predator something with a Revo 1shaft.

I'm not sure it really matters as long as you get used to it. If there's an advantage to a certain length I don't see that it's been proven in any way. I guess I'm just posting this to speak up for those of us who aren't equipment guys and get something and make it work.

I am not sure that most of us here who posted that they had played with 57 cues and really liked them are "equipment guys" - necessarily. Like you, I never make a cue excuse for a miss if I just have any decent cue in my hands.

I think rather that some of us here are just stating that, for whatever reason, certain 57 inch cues have a better feel in our hands in terms of playability - compared to the "newer" standard length of 58 inches.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
To the mustache!

Efren gave that measurement when asked what length cue he liked, it should reach from the floor to his mustache! Not a very tall guy so we will have to guess just how long that is.

I usually play with a 60" cue. A couple reasons, several of my all time favorite cues were long which is probably the main reason. The other reason is wingspan. I tend to run out of cue sometimes. Old bad habits come back to life when I grab a cue around the buttcap and bumper. Somehow I got in the habit of twisting the cue on many shots trying to get more bite from the tip. After fifty years that habit still wants to return if I grab a cue at the very back.

It should be noted that my sixty inch cue balances at the exact same distance from the tip as most fifty-eight inch cues. 21 inches from bumper to balance point on my cue as compared to a more typical 19 inches for most fifty-eight inch cues.

Hu

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure that most of us here who posted that they had played with 57 cues and really liked them are "equipment guys" - necessarily. Like you, I never make a cue excuse for a miss if I just have any decent cue in my hands.

I think rather that some of us here are just stating that, for whatever reason, certain 57 inch cues have a better feel in our hands in terms of playability - compared to the "newer" standard length of 58 inches.

I don't mind playing off the wall
but I like the idea of finding/dialing in specs that I feel "fit me"
it's fun and even tho I'm some novice, I enjoy digging into little pool sciences
I'm still playing with shapes and sizes, balance
length-wise tho, I'm digging the way a shorter cue feels
when I can hit the table again, I even got a 56" to try
anyway- was just curious if there were any sightings in the pool "mainstream"

how we got to 58" from 57" is intriguing tho- will have to dig into that, too ^_^

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren gave that measurement when asked what length cue he liked, it should reach from the floor to his mustache! Not a very tall guy so we will have to guess just how long that is.

I usually play with a 60" cue. A couple reasons, several of my all time favorite cues were long which is probably the main reason. The other reason is wingspan. I tend to run out of cue sometimes. Old bad habits come back to life when I grab a cue around the buttcap and bumper. Somehow I got in the habit of twisting the cue on many shots trying to get more bite from the tip. After fifty years that habit still wants to return if I grab a cue at the very back.

It should be noted that my sixty inch cue balances at the exact same distance from the tip as most fifty-eight inch cues. 21 inches from bumper to balance point on my cue as compared to a more typical 19 inches for most fifty-eight inch cues.

Hu

A custom cue maker, who got it from an older cue maker who taught him, told me that your cue should touch your bottom lip. For me, that is around 58".

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

hey hu,
I've heard that efren is 5'10- standing up straight, I could see it
average american I think is 5'9, so he must stand out a bit at home..

re: balance, I love that you have your balance points similar regardless of cue length
it's a working hypothesis
but I think that by finding/using a balance point a given player likes
scaled up/scaled down
other cue variables like height and weight potentially aren't as vital to being comfy on the table

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey hu,
I've heard that efren is 5'10- standing up straight, I could see it
average american I think is 5'9, so he must stand out a bit at home..

re: balance, I love that you have your balance points similar regardless of cue length
it's a working hypothesis
but I think that by finding/using a balance point a given player likes
scaled up/scaled down
other cue variables like height and weight potentially aren't as vital to being comfy on the table

I think balance is one of the key specs.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main rule for me the cue should allow me to make a grip depending on the shot and having follow through effortless without too much work.
It simply depends on the height and wingspan i.e. that is individual like it goes to the stance.
When it comes to those methods to measure the right cue length depending on the height. Well if the cue should reach my bottom lip then I need 180 sm cue (71") :eek:.
Till the time I started to have an interest in cuebuilding for 18 years I've had just two playing cues. Both were 60". There was not much of a choice back then in my country.
So I've just learned to get used to it and work for me. Back then when I was younger it actually worked just fine.
Now when I have possibility to build a cue in any length I need I found what feels the best. That is between 62 - 63". Yes I'm fairly tall so having my own "standard".