where to aim to make cb travel/hit as many rails as possible?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no hope of reaching a table to test this
and my imagination is fried after considering the second rail
does using inside kill the cb at some point?
better then, to hit it center? tip of anything?
cheers-

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cheers-

Not necessarily. You should think of side spin as running or reverse. In some cases, inside can be running, and in those instances, you'll be surprised if you expect it to kill the cue ball speed.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not necessarily. You should think of side spin as running or reverse. In some cases, inside can be running, and in those instances, you'll be surprised if you expect it to kill the cue ball speed.

hi fran and thanks
interesting I seem to gravitate towards inside here
but of course I could just as easily hit outside
either way-
going around the table's rails
doesn't the running spin reverse at some point?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
cheers-
There is an absolutely standard 9-cushion lag shot that is part of the Artistic Pool competition. Place the cue ball on the headstring about 10 inches from the side rail. Hit that side rail just before the corner foot pocket. The cue ball should go diagonally to a similar spot on the diagonally opposite corner from the first two cushions.

On a carom table with new cloth, it is possible to hit 11 cushions when the cue comes in long to rails 8 and 9. I saw Mike Massey do this on his third try on such a table.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cheers-

Taking the question literally, there are only 6 rails. So the most possible rails that can be hit are 6. Now, the puzzle becomes how to hit all 6 rails on a single stroke. I have a solution which I leave for you to solve.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Taking the question literally, there are only 6 rails. So the most possible rails that can be hit are 6. Now, the puzzle becomes how to hit all 6 rails on a single stroke. I have a solution which I leave for you to solve.
Actually, according to the rules, there are four rails and six cushion sections. This is an important distinction for some rules.

One solution for your poser is for a plus-system shot to hit the third cushion about where you are shooting from. End, side, side on one end of the table and then side, end side on the other end.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
going around the table's rails
doesn't the running spin reverse at some point?
Running spin will remain running spin all the way around the table - unless you skip a rail (say, if you go longrail>longrail instead of longrail>short rail>long rail).

Reverse spin, on the other hand, can become running spin within a rail or two, because rails tend to rub running spin onto the ball.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Running spin will remain running spin all the way around the table - unless you skip a rail (say, if you go longrail>longrail instead of longrail>short rail>long rail). ...
And in the 11-cushion shot mentioned above, the spin remains running for the first nine cushions.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Running spin will remain running spin all the way around the table - unless you skip a rail (say, if you go longrail>longrail instead of longrail>short rail>long rail).

Reverse spin, on the other hand, can become running spin within a rail or two, because rails tend to rub running spin onto the ball.

pj
chgo

thanks pat, makes sense
to really stamp this stuff on my brain
I need more time on the pool table
I really like bob's idea of playing billiards, too
but as my dad used to say
"one beached whale at a time"
thanks again

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen that..much enthusiasm trickled to a crawl
maybe this is dumb, but does table size matter for this/similar exercises?
The condition of the cloth and rails is probably a larger factor but I don't think 9 cushions is the type of drill that you want to spend much time on unless you are going to compete in Artistic Pool events.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
One solution for your poser is for a plus-system shot to hit the third cushion about where you are shooting from. End, side, side on one end of the table and then side, end side on the other end.
Like this?
all 6 rails 1.jpg

Here's another, harder way.
all 6 rails.jpg

I couldn't think of any others without hitting some rails twice.

pj
chgo

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought of one more - but you have to pound it...

pj
chgo

View attachment 554054

Couldn’t figure out how to load an image from my iPad so will describe a shot starting with check side into the first rail. Starting near the middle of an end rail aim at the second diamond up on the immediate side rail (with check side remember). The ball travels across to the adjacent long side rail where the applied english becomes running side into the opposite end rail. From there to the opposite far side rail and back across table to the remaining side rail and then the last end rail. Hope the description doesn’t suck.

Last edited: