1970's Meucci Gambler with Porcelain inlays

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
1973 Meucci Gambler Billiard Cue - $1,500 shipped (no trades, sorry)

Supposedly purchased from Bob Meucci in 1973 at a pool tournament. It has Meucci's initials "RJM" in the wooden buttsleeve. It was recently refinished by Scott Sherbine who indicated that the inserts are a ceramic or porcelain-like material, which some of the first Meuccis had. It also has an original Cortland wrap, which Sherbine did NOT finish over, due to the rarity. The cue has a wood buttsleeve, and a wood joint, ebony forearm with natural,green,mahogany,teal veneers. Comes with one original shaft, 12.72mm, and one shaft that went with another gambler, and is included as a back-up, but the ringwork does not match (but it's sort of close) - it's 13.16mm. Both shafts have original Meucci ferrules. Also includes 2 green diamondwood joint protectors with MOP inserts, that match the veneers - these are not original to the cue.

Condition: Recently refinished except for the original exposed wrap, by Scott Sherbine. The original shaft was refinished and looks very nice, just a little wobble but a great player. A sliver of the metal insert is unattached, but the shaft screws on fine and the shaft plays very solid; otherwise, I would have sent it back. The back-up shaft has blueing and I've never hit a ball with it. This cue had seen a lot of action before being refinished, but only evidence of it is some damage to the bottom of the wooden buttsleeve, that has been refinished over - also, the cue did not come with a bumper, so one has been stuck in for protection, that's similar to what Meucci Originals had. Picture 10 shows detail of the buttsleeve, and you can see a crack that has been finished over, and also, because of the various materials used in the cue, while smooth at connection points, you can see some imperfections. Pic 10 also shows a very small kind of bubble under the finish where the wood connects with the black part.

**Ceramic Porcelain inserts - A lot of people make this claim, but these are real. The cards were painted onto the ceramic.

I have included as much detail as I can about the cue, but I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Continental U.S. only (no islands, etc.).

Plenty of images: Meucc Gambler Images

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
You continue to come up with the most unusual cues! It's definitely the most unusual gambler I've ever seen. It could be one of the first ones. The brass screw is an indication of the earliest Meucci's and the reverse ebony forearm is a nice touch. The old Gambler's I've seen have cards printed or photographed on what is like photographic film set over a plastic sleeve. I've not seen one like this!That should be a nice collectible.

Chris

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You continue to come up with the most unusual cues! It's definitely the most unusual gambler I've ever seen. It could be one of the first ones. The brass screw is an indication of the earliest Meucci's and the reverse ebony forearm is a nice touch. The old Gambler's I've seen have cards printed or photographed on what is like photographic film set over a plastic sleeve. I've not seen one like this!That should be a nice collectible.

Chris

Hi Chris - hope you are doing well. I haven't been following billiards discussions on the boards, so was hoping this cue might generate some discussion. But it was a very pleasant surprise to see a post from you! Thanks for posting the additional information.

Everything about the cue looks like early production (not prototype or anything), except the wood buttsleeve and 'RJM' initials - that part has me stumped and I received only garbled responses to an email I sent Meucci. Unfortunately some lackey got my email and didn't read it very closely. I sent another one, also addressed to Bob Meucci, and didn't get any response at all.

robert777

Robert777
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Scott, I have a simular MO-12 with the wood butt sleeve and wood joint. It also has the same forearm but does not have the same MO logo placement. My cue has a black Hoppe style ring with Meucci Originals embossed into it right below the walnut butt sleeve. The cards are 4 kings but are of the traditional printed method described by Chris.

Best of luck with your sale, someone will be getting a very unique MO-12.
Robert

Last edited:

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Scott, I have a simular MO-12 with the wood butt sleeve and wood joint. It also has the same forearm but does not have the same MO logo placement. My cue has a black Hoppie style ring with Meucci Originals embossed into it right below the walnut butt sleeve. The cards are 4 kings but are of the traditional printed method described by Chris.

Best of luck with your sale, someone will be getting a very unique MO-12.
Robert

Thanks Robert. I saw 'wood joint' as an option in one of the early catalogs, but from your cue description, it appears 'wood buttsleeve' was also an option. I have seen other MO's with the Hoppe ring - very cool.

I've always thought it strange that so many collectors were dead certain about the porcelain inlays, but this is the first one where a photograph has been made available.

If I'm wrong about that, please post them up.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Bump for an absolutely beautiful cue and a great piece of history! If my Dishaw sells, this cue will be mine :D

Jim

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
lol - so has the economy gone to hell so bad that not a single person is interested in this cue?

Are you guys all shooting with broomstick handles these days?

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0

Chris

BTW - I didn't come up with this - it was a friend who has always been great about keeping an eye open for unusual cues that he thinks I'd be interested in.

Chris, other than your comments above, I've gotten absolutely ZERO feedback on this cue. I keep expecting someone to show an image of another Gambler with ceramic inlays, or another Meucci Originals with 'RJM' initials, but I'm getting nothing.

Anyone who knows me also knows that if I have a cool cue and think about it too much, I put it back in the closet. This one's about there - I would love for someone to send examples of another Meucci cue with similar odd features (wood joints/buttsleeve, RJM initials, ceramic inlays). From a historical perspective it would be interesting to discuss.