Carbon Fiber shafts (opinion)

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am getting back into pool, and I finally purchased an older diamond table (9 footer - it plays great, by the way... LOL...). So, playing will be much easier now - for me.

I know there have been threads about CF shafts, but I specifically wanted some opinions on the Jacoby, Pechauer, and some of the others. Dr Dave's video was super helpful, but the Jacoby version was not included (I am guessing it wasn't out then? I have been out of pool for a long time, so I could be wrong).

As far as finish and playability, which do you prefer and why? I have a Black Boar, custom Pechauers, a super nice custom Jacoby and several others.

I have never had a chance to play with one, but I have LD wood shafts from all the makers I mentioned (minus the Black Boar). So, do you really see a difference in deflection, playability, etc. I do not care about sound. Sound doesn't matter to me at all.

My concern is where to purchase these at for a good price, and which one to really focus on and why? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like the Meucci Pro since I sell them and shafts I make myself.

The Meucci Pro plays great.

And the shafts I make myself play good and have a 20 inch pro taper.

I give discounts to all players and not just APA players. :lmao:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am getting back into pool, and I finally purchased an older diamond table (9 footer - it plays great, by the way... LOL...). So, playing will be much easier now - for me.

I know there have been threads about CF shafts, but I specifically wanted some opinions on the Jacoby, Pechauer, and some of the others. Dr Dave's video was super helpful, but the Jacoby version was not included (I am guessing it wasn't out then? I have been out of pool for a long time, so I could be wrong).

As far as finish and playability, which do you prefer and why? I have a Black Boar, custom Pechauers, a super nice custom Jacoby and several others.

I have never had a chance to play with one, but I have LD wood shafts from all the makers I mentioned (minus the Black Boar). So, do you really see a difference in deflection, playability, etc. I do not care about sound. Sound doesn't matter to me at all.

My concern is where to purchase these at for a good price, and which one to really focus on and why? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Don't own one but have used both Revo's, Cynergy and BeCue. Not a lot of difference in how they play to be honest. Biggest plus, to me anyway, is the SUPER slick finish. As far as sound goes i liked the Cynergy the best. Not as "pingy" as the Revo. Just need to find some and test hit them yourself.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Don't own one but have used both Revo's, Cynergy and BeCue. Not a lot of difference in how they play to be honest. Biggest plus, to me anyway, is the SUPER slick finish. As far as sound goes i liked the Cynergy the best. Not as "pingy" as the Revo. Just need to find some and test hit them yourself.

I own a Cynergy w/ sniper tip and like it :) I been using a Lucasi Slim Hybrid shaft for years and switched this year. If your stroke is true you will like a carbon fiber shaft. Easy to keep clean and seems to avoid dings much better! I have always been an Indian and not the arrow kind of guy, I don't think it "makes" anyone's game. Have hit the Revo and I liked it as well. I think it is neat to try new technologies in pool. Things have surely changed since I was a teen playing: cloth, tables, cues and balls as well.

Filler is the best in the world and still shoots with a wood shaft.

To each their own. If you know people who have the different brands of CF shafts, ask them to let you hit a few with them! Good luck to you and congrats on getting back into pool/ getting a new to you Diamond!!!

Trent from Toledo

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really should try out different shafts if possible before purchasing. They do hit differently and what hit you prefer is only for you to decide.

I started using a Revo 12.9 which I loved. I switched to a Cuetec Cynergy because of the taper and 12.5. To me it has a less pingy sound and I like the small white "ferrule".

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A word of caution - don't let it out that you tried CF and didn't like it or write anything anti-CF. Best keep that under your hat. LOL

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
A word of caution - don't let it out that you tried CF and didn't like it or write anything anti-CF. Best keep that under your hat. LOL

There is a difference between giving an opinion and being a hater/ troll about it....

I was tricked by your post, never again...

Trent from Toledo

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like em, I like the consistency from shot to shot. I don’t seem to under apply or over apply English as often. I feel like I know what the cue ball is going to do and can adapt to different tables a little quicker because of that, which results in confidence, which results in better play. I own a revo 12.9 but have tried a few others with longer and narrower taper that had a better soft feel but I think the stiffness of the 12.9 is where that shot to shot consistency comes from.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Jacoby doesn’t ping like the Revo. Seems to mimic a wood sound on good spin shots. It’s what I ended up with.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member

Prices are pretty standard across the stores. just check the main online retailers and see who has what cheapest. I haven't seen much flux.

I don't own a CF shaft but tried a number of brands. I haven't noticed a great deal of difference between them deflection wise. they are all similar to a 314-3 in my opinion. I liked the response and slick feel, but disliked the somewhat hollow feeling. they just didn't feel as solid to me as what I usually play with.

the main difference's seem to be spec related. Ferrule or not. some folks really like having no ferrule, while others need it for sighting. Some shafts are available in a lot of joints, some are not. same for diameter.

I would suggest to choose your shaft diameter, your joint, and if you want a ferrule or not. that will shorten your list to choose from.

as a side note, If you have a boar, and have not used their ferrule-less shafts you may want to go that route. I would probably be more inclined to do that than CF if I was lucky enough to have a boar.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You have to try as many as you can, and then only you can decide. Two things I can tell you for sure about CF shafts .. They will never warp and they will only break if you run over them with your vehicle. Good luck.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a Cynergy w/ sniper tip and like it :) I been using a Lucasi Slim Hybrid shaft for years and switched this year. If your stroke is true you will like a carbon fiber shaft. Easy to keep clean and seems to avoid dings much better! I have always been an Indian and not the arrow kind of guy, I don't think it "makes" anyone's game. Have hit the Revo and I liked it as well. I think it is neat to try new technologies in pool. Things have surely changed since I was a teen playing: cloth, tables, cues and balls as well.

Filler is the best in the world and still shoots with a wood shaft.

To each their own. If you know people who have the different brands of CF shafts, ask them to let you hit a few with them! Good luck to you and congrats on getting back into pool/ getting a new to you Diamond!!!

Trent from Toledo
According to Predator Filler likes the Z-taper better. That's why he went back. They said when a Z-taper Revo is available he'll use it.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Predator Filler likes the Z-taper better. That's why he went back. They said when a Z-taper Revo is available he'll use it.

What exactly is the Z-taper, is it similar to the Meucci Pro maple shaft taper? How can I tell the difference, any site for this?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

I've tried 4 different carbon shafts extensively: The Predator Revo (both 12.4 and 12.9), the Cuetec and the Mezz. The Mezz and Cuetec felt most like wooden shafts, the Predator seemed to deflect less. The Predator has a both harsh and dead hit, as strange as that may sound. I didn't like it much, but I played well with it for the most part. The Mezz was easy to get used to (I played with a Mezz WD 700), and I don't think the transition will be too difficult from a wooden shaft to that one, same with the Cuetec.

Honestly, lots of people in my poolhall bought these Carbon fibre shafts at 4-500 dollars each, and none of them improved as players as far as I can tell. They're ok, but they're vastly more expensive than most wooden shafts and it's tough to get bargains on used ones. Some will claim that they're better in some aspects, maybe they are in some imperceptible way, but I sure can't tell. They're slick when they're clean, I'll give them that. You seem to have lots of expensive cues, so you probably have plenty of money to use on these. Go right ahead, but like I said, I doubt you'll see much improvement as far as playability is concerned. Tried the Jacoby only briefly, to briefly to give a good opinion on it, but didn't feel any special "revalation" as compared to the others.

As far as I'm concerned the Mezz is the best one, as to me it hit the closest to my Mezz shaft and I just forgot that it was carbon and played my normal game. It probably deflected less, but I just adjusted to it, naturally. However, I didn't end up buying any of the above mentioned shafts. There simply wasn't enough value in it for me to consider it. I currently play with a 13mm wooden shaft, even though I came up with ld shafts, so I may not be a typical guy as far as my preferences are concerned. I still have Mezz shafts but rarely use them any more.

If money is of any concern to a player, I'd advice him or her to pick up a used wooden LD-shaft instead. It'll cost you maybe 1/4-1/5 and perform pretty much the same.

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best to go somewhere that has them for sale and try them.
See if you can try a tip a little softer than what you would normally like as well.
Different tips on the same carbon shaft have a different hit and feel to different people.
Don't necessarily go by price alone. It maybe that with the right tip a cheaper one may be good for you, or no matter what tip is on it, it does not suite you.
Take your handle with you, if you are only looking for a shaft.
Neil

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a difference between giving an opinion and being a hater/ troll about it....

I was tricked by your post, never again...

Trent from Toledo
Trent, I don't hate nor do I troll about CF shafts. My earlier post was to draw comments about MC players using them vs maple shafts. I got the exact responses that I wanted. No hard feelings, please!

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I've tried them all and decided to keep 3. First and foremost the Revo is still the best out of any of them especially if the sound isn't an issue for you. The Revo is my main shooter, 12.4 version. I also kept the Meucci CF pro in 30" 11.75mm and the Pechauer Rogue 11.75mm. All the rest I had issues with but id give an honorable mention to the Becue as well.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

if that black boar is ferruleless it qualifies as LD