Mistakes were made, now to fix it as cheaply as possible - advice please

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you frequent here you know what I am talking about.

With that said before you read on (Please read on) Does anyone know if a cloth manufacture will sell just the rail pieces?

After 3 month long project I was very happy to start playing on my new table. Post HERE.

Then the issues started showing up. I noticed the rails are playing long and I am sure it's not new cloth sliding as my issue. HERE is that post I have played on many newly clothed tables (usually Simonis) and they never are this far off. Plus the ProForm cloth I went with has a lower nylon count and is not as slippery and feels and plays like very broken in Simonis.

So now back to the drawing board, do I actually even have the right rubber profile? HERE is my post trying to figure that one out.

New rubber aside which is going to cost me dearly. I was so happy to have my table up, now I have to explain to my wife why it has to come apart again. :angry:

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
If you frequent here you know what I am talking about.

With that said before you read on (Please read on) Does anyone know if a cloth manufacture will sell just the rail pieces?

After 3 month long project I was very happy to start playing on my new table. Post HERE.

Then the issues started showing up. I noticed the rails are playing long and I am sure it's not new cloth sliding as my issue. HERE is that post I have played on many newly clothed tables (usually Simonis) and they never are this far off. Plus the ProForm cloth I went with has a lower nylon count and is not as slippery and feels and plays like very broken in Simonis.

So now back to the drawing board, do I actually even have the right rubber profile? HERE is my post trying to figure that one out.

New rubber aside which is going to cost me dearly. I was so happy to have my table up, now I have to explain to my wife why it has to come apart again. :angry:

You can absolutely purchase a set of rail cloth. Might save on shipping, if you purchase the cloth and cushions from the same place. I have a set of Tournament Blue ProForm 505 rail cloth and MBS cushions in stock, but I don't know that I would have a chance to get to a shipping center.

I might suggest that you reach out to Rob Molina (Rob M.), to see if maybe he could help you out. I know that he sells ProLine cloth.

If he can't hook you up, let me know.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8057c00883f77da5ab9ddbe674a542b2.jpg

d37deb75de1c66362c069ca77231bf07.jpg

56b665cc1ef595085eb936818f677dbc.jpg

I think you will be fine, I checked this set of K-66 (MBS pink) and the difference between upside down and right side up is 1/32” at most. Probably closer to a 1/64”. The old 1970s piece I was measuring this morning was probably a unique profile like Monarchs (the tan piece in the pic). Anyway I can even donate to you a set of this MBS Championship that came off of a 9 ft, so they should still be long enough for your OS 8 ft. The only thing you will need are new facings and few more staples. These cushions would be fine on the right rails and I think your rails would match that rubber. You don’t have the glue surface side of the subrail to accept K-55, they would hang over the edge too much. Let me know if you want these and I'll get them shipped out. These cushions were incorrectly installed on my Anniversary by the restorer, so they were too high, but nothing seems to be wrong with the rubber itself, they just need to go on the right rails. If the nose height is too low you can always shim between the bottom of the rail and slate. Having said this, you might be alright as is with them upside down if the difference in nose height is so small after all. Like I said, you can always shim a little, even shim behind the rail bolts will bring the nose down some if you need to as well. Don't give up, the fix will just take a little time and don't worry about the mistakes, mistakes are okay, we are human after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you will be fine, I checked this set of K-66 (MBS pink) and the difference between upside down and right side up is 1/32” at most. Probably closer to a 1/64”. The old 1970s piece I was measuring this morning was probably a unique profile like Monarchs (the tan piece in the pic). Anyway I can even donate to you a set of this MBS Championship that came off of a 9 ft, so they should still be long enough for your OS 8 ft. The only thing you will need are new facings and few more staples. These cushions would be fine on the right rails and I think you rails would match that rubber. You don’t have the glue surface side of the subrail to accept K-55, they would hang over the edge too much. Let me know if you want these and I'll get them shipped out. These cushions were incorrectly installed on my Anniversary by the restorer, so they were too high, but nothing seems to be wrong with the rubber itself, they just need to go on the right rails. If the nose height is too low you can always shim between the bottom of the rail and slate. Having said this, you might be alright as is with them upside down if the difference in nose height is so small after all. Like I said, you can always shim a little, even shim behind the rail bolts will bring the nose down some if you need to as well. Don't give up, the fix will just take a little time and don't worry about the mistakes, mistakes are okay, we are human after all.

Wow, thanks for info. There is an obvious but slight curve to what is the top (now the bottom for me) and the bottom of the cushions. This seems like it could be why my kicks and banks are off. I've been a fan of rail movement of balls for 15-20 years and am familiar with how a table should play when new and when broke in. I feel it will never get better. If I don't fix this it will eat away at me. I put a lot of work in this table, I want it to play right.

My pool table restoration project, start to finish.

https://imgur.com/a/jejdliu

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you will be fine, I checked this set of K-66 (MBS pink) and the difference between upside down and right side up is 1/32” at most. Probably closer to a 1/64”. The old 1970s piece I was measuring this morning was probably a unique profile like Monarchs (the tan piece in the pic). Anyway I can even donate to you a set of this MBS Championship that came off of a 9 ft, so they should still be long enough for your OS 8 ft. The only thing you will need are new facings and few more staples. These cushions would be fine on the right rails and I think your rails would match that rubber. You don’t have the glue surface side of the subrail to accept K-55, they would hang over the edge too much. Let me know if you want these and I'll get them shipped out. These cushions were incorrectly installed on my Anniversary by the restorer, so they were too high, but nothing seems to be wrong with the rubber itself, they just need to go on the right rails. If the nose height is too low you can always shim between the bottom of the rail and slate. Having said this, you might be alright as is with them upside down if the difference in nose height is so small after all. Like I said, you can always shim a little, even shim behind the rail bolts will bring the nose down some if you need to as well. Don't give up, the fix will just take a little time and don't worry about the mistakes, mistakes are okay, we are human after all.

I'll take them! I am in for a lot of money as it is so if wife knows someone is helping to make it better and it doesn't cost me much, I'm in!

app4dstn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could the just installed cushions be detached with a thin scalpel like blade? Then clean up and re prep and attached the other way?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could the just installed cushions be detached with a thin scalpel like blade? Then clean up and re prep and attached the other way?

Pulling them off is no problem. The problem is that the pocket angles have already been cut with cushions upside down, so at a min the down angles would be way off.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pulling them off is no problem. The problem is that the pocket angles have already been cut with cushions upside down, so at a min the down angles would be way off.
This was my conclusion as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk