Gold Crown 5 Pocket liners

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Everyone,

I am getting close to recovering my table. Whalen I do a couple things I want to do is to is

1-Put more attention. Towards flushing the corner castings. I think I have a handle on this one but will accept any advice anyone can give.

2-Try and tuck in the pocket liner ears. Here I need some advice. I have seen in pictures how those liners get tucked in nice and flush like designed. However I have no idea how to do it.

Please advise.

Thanks In Advance. Image1598837291.998707.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
The liners on my GC 4 do the same thing, even more so on the sides. It appears if I trim away some material from the liner below the "lip" it could help it flush up more, but I'm leary of cutting them.

The GC4 manual says you can trim them also.

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your pocket looks to be trimmed properly on the top lip. However, from there downward, you need to trim it back a bit to fit flush and parallel with the back edge of the pocket facing.

After that, your pocket's memory will still cause it to fit proud of the areas noted. The best solution there is to use an electric hair dryer to warm the rubber into pliability. You may need to cut a wooden dowel to place inside the pocket to get the rubber forced into position to fit properly during the whole process. Because of the persistent memory of the pocket rubber, you will probably have to repeat the warming a few times. In some cases, you may need to put the dowel back in place when the table is not in use. The whole idea is to retrain the memory of the rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The liners on my GC 4 do the same thing, even more so on the sides. It appears if I trim away some material from the liner below the "lip" it could help it flush up more, but I'm leary of cutting them.

The GC4 manual says you can trim them also.

Thank you for the response.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your pocket looks to be trimmed properly on the top lip. However, from there downward, you need to trim it back a bit to fit flush and parallel with the back edge of the pocket facing.

After that, your pocket's memory will still cause it to fit proud of the areas noted. The best solution there is to use an electric hair dryer to warm the rubber into pliability. You may need to cut a wooden dowel to place inside the pocket to get the rubber forced into position to fit properly during the whole process. Because of the persistent memory of the pocket rubber, you will probably have to repeat the warming a few times. In some cases, you may need to put the dowel back in place when the table is not in use. The whole idea is to retrain the memory of the rubber.

[/QUOTE]

I thought about using a hairdryer actually. I just wasn’t sure if it would be a permanent solution. I don’t want to use a nail.

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I thought about using a hairdryer actually. I just wasn’t sure if it would be a permanent solution. I don’t want to use a nail.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums[/QUOTE]
I just set up a GC1 that I had in storage for five years. It was very hot in the storage facility here in Texas. Two of my pockets had deformed due to the heat plus some heavy items stacked on top of them. In order to get them to fit, I had to take them back off the table and hyper stretch them out while using the hair dryer. Occasionally, one of them tries to contract a bit and I have to get the dryer after it again.

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
Guys this is how I get the pocket liners to go flush with the corner and side castings.
1. Get a bucket of boiling water - yes boiling.
2. Drop a pocket liner in and leave it in there for about 1 minute.
3. Remove the pocket liner with gloves and force the tip ends out by about half a inch either side while everything is still hot.
4. While forcing the tip ends out dunk the liner in a bucket of cold water.
you will have to re dunk the liner several times in and out of the cold waters to cool the liner.
The liners are now over exaggerated at the tips.
5. What you've done is force the tips of the pocket liner outwards so when they are in the castings they will push themselves to sit flush.

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great tip. You don’t ruin them by doing this?

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
No,
All your doing is re-softening the pocket liner and working the tips back out plus a bit more.

DennisG

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I am getting close to recovering my table. Whalen I do a couple things I want to do is to is

1-Put more attention. Towards flushing the corner castings. I think I have a handle on this one but will accept any advice anyone can give.

2-Try and tuck in the pocket liner ears. Here I need some advice. I have seen in pictures how those liners get tucked in nice and flush like designed. However I have no idea how to do it.

Please advise.

Thanks In Advance. View attachment 556358

I know its been a while, but the problem you have here is that your facings are cut so that they are running too far back and they are holding the pocket liners over. If you look down into the pocket, you can see that the pocket liner is being held by the facing. It should not be protruding into the pocket opening it should be even with the edge of the facing.

if you were able to cut the facing back on a line with the edge of the pocket liner, the pocket would be able to be tucked over and behind the back of the facing. Ask me how I know? I just had someone recover my GC5 and even tho they did a great job with the cloth and replacing the funky thick hard rubber facings someone had put on before I got the table, this was overlooked and I now have the same problem. He is going to come back over the weekend and trim those facings so that they fit properly, allowing the pockets to open up and get tucked behind the back of the facing/cushion.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip....bend the pocket liners in at the corners and tuck them under the facings. This may not totally solve the corner edges from protruding so what I did once tucked in was just apply a small drop of super glue and hold till it bonds to the castings. Don’t worry if you ever do the table again the super glue scrapes off easily.

DennisG

Registered
Tip....bend the pocket liners in at the corners and tuck them under the facings. This may not totally solve the corner edges from protruding so what I did once tucked in was just apply a small drop of super glue and hold till it bonds to the castings. Don’t worry if you ever do the table again the super glue scrapes off easily.

That might work in your case. My facings go so far back, the liners cannot be tucked in there.

DennisG

Registered
Yup. Bend in the points.

I know its hard to tell from the pic, but the facing continues back more than an eighth inch behind the pocket rubber. There is no possible way to tuck the rubber pocket behind the facing. I suppose it might be possible to push the points over on top and glue them down, but that is just a band aid fix and the pocket rubber will still protrude into the pocket opening, essentially shrinking the pocket size by the thickness of the rubber x2. I don't think this pocket rubber will hinder a ball from entering because by the time it hits there it is well into the pocket, but IMO it is not right. If those facings are trimmed back, the rubber can be tucked behind the facings and the top points will naturally fit the indent on the top of the castings naturally, no glue required.

DennisG

Registered
trim the pockets to fit. I have to do it all the time. good luck.

I know you have installed these GC5 tables new from the factory. Have you ever had to trim the pockets on a new one? My pockets did not require trimming until these new facings were put on. Obviously trimming the pockets is the easier way to deal with this at this point , but then the top ear with the point on it will no longer be supported as well as it is now and may start to dog ear upward.