Age Old Drill w/Variation

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I know this is an old drill but most players and instructors will tell you it is still a good one. Shoot the CB down the table and have it come back to hit your tip. Helps check for alignment, aim, stroke, etc, etc.

But...….Do any of you players ever shoot this drill with a draw stroke? Hitting the CB about 6:00 with a little oomph, simulating a draw stoke? And then having it come back to hit your tip?

I believe I have read and been told that this type of drill would be extremely difficult. But then again, wouldn't it give you feedback on your draw stroke?

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/73990.png

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I do it, and show it all the time.

It is difficult unless you practice it.

Ok, I know this is an old drill but most players and instructors will tell you it is still a good one. Shoot the CB down the table and have it come back to hit your tip. Helps check for alignment, aim, stroke, etc, etc.

But...….Do any of you players ever shoot this drill with a draw stroke? Hitting the CB about 6:00 with a little oomph, simulating a draw stoke? And then having it come back to hit your tip?

I believe I have read and been told that this type of drill would be extremely difficult. But then again, wouldn't it give you feedback on your draw stroke?

r/DCP

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
What makes this hard to do with a draw stroke.... As the CB slows down it wants to flip over toward one side and comes off the rail with side spin.

r/DCP

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What makes this hard to do with a draw stroke.... As the CB slows down it wants to flip over toward one side and comes off the rail with side spin.
...if you hit it off center.

For maximum feedback, use a striped ball as the CB (with the stripe oriented vertically). Then any slight off center hit will be visible as soon as the ball leaves your tip.

pj
chgo

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

r/DCP

Another variation.. The CB is on the head spot and OB on the foot spot... Hit a stop shot on the OB... Stop the CB dead and have
the OB rebound back into the CB... Use a speed that leaves both of the balls somewhere between the foot spot and side pockets.

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another variation.. The CB is on the head spot and OB on the foot spot... Hit a stop shot on the OB... Stop the CB dead and have
the OB rebound back into the CB... Use a speed that leaves both of the balls somewhere between the foot spot and side pockets.

That is stop/stun shot practice. Not draw stroke practice. The long straight-in draw shot is my nemesis shot.

r/DCP

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

That is stop/stun shot practice. Not draw stroke practice. The long straight-in draw shot is my nemesis shot.

r/DCP
It doesn't have to be a stop shot - and it would be a much more challenging draw shot than just shooting into a pocket because you have to get both balls to come straight back. Maybe see how far you can get the CB to draw back before the OB catches up to it...

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

its tougher with the object ball on the center spot

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

Have you tried it with backspin?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't have to be a stop shot - and it would be a much more challenging draw shot than just shooting into a pocket because you have to get both balls to come straight back. Maybe see how far you can get the CB to draw back before the OB catches up to it...

pj
chgo

One of the benefits I had as a teacher is that I got to watch hundreds of people close-up, work on their games. Here's what I learned: Most players are willing to adjust their fundamentals when they are attempting to pocket balls but not when they are shooting balls into rails --- and those few that are willing to adjust by shooting balls into rails, often revert back to their old selves when shooting balls into pockets.

So my advice is to use things like that as a gauge rather than as a drill.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

r/DCP

"most players and instructors will tell you it is still a good one"

Yes, but so many tables have bad spots along their rails. Maybe this drill is reasonable to a side rail nearby, maybe...

Draw shots give feedback on draw strokes.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what you mean Fran?

I am talking about hitting this age old shot like a draw shot. In other words, with backspin.

You're asking about doing it but my question was have you actually tried it yet or are you just asking about it without having tried it.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're asking about doing it but my question was have you actually tried it yet or are you just asking about it without having tried it.

Yes, I have tried it. Been doing it about 10 minutes a day for several days now. Its very difficult to get it to come back and hit the tip with a harder draw stroke. If I get close to the tip I feel like that's a good thing.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, I have tried it. Been doing it about 10 minutes a day for several days now. Its very difficult to get it to come back and hit the tip with a harder draw stroke. If I get close to the tip I feel like that's a good thing.
The shot is much harder to do with draw because any slight side spin you get on the cue ball is effectively multiplied when the forward speed is reduced by the draw as the ball goes towards the far rail. All of the side remains, so the side spin/speed ratio is increased.

The shot is easiest to do by hitting the cue ball as high as is safe from miscuing.