Practice games and routines - Rate mine, give me yours!

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When i get to the pool hall on a day off at 11am, i have a 7 hour window of practice time, depending on who comes down to challenge me. I wanted an opinion from the instructors/pros on how beneficial this routine is to me or if i should make some changes, as i have heard conflicting answers.

1: I start off practicing a few kicks using the Zero X system i purchased recently, as that was a weak part of my game until now. I do short rail kicks, long rail kicks and some two railers followed by a few banks using the same diamond system. I do this for a half hour if its at my home base, sometimes longer if its at a new venue where i have a tournament coming up and want to see how the tables play speed wise and kick wise.

2: Then, i throw 1-9 out there and run a few 9 ball racks until i feel loose. Once i feel i am ready, i play the ghost in a race to 9.

3: A friend showed me this drill where you rack 15 balls, break and run as many as you can. The last five balls are worth 2 points and must be run in order, so 20 total points in a rack. Once you miss, you re-rack, break and run again. You do this 10 times and get a total score inbetween 0-200. Theres a table that displays your rating, or what level you play at, such as 180+ touring pro, 140-160 - Semi pro, 160-179 - open player etc. Something along those lines. So i do this once per practice session, as i feel it helps with straight pool, 8 ball and pattern play in 9 ball, as the last five balls have to be run in order and it makes you use your head to try and strategically lay out the last five balls.

4: Finally, on to straight pool. I set up a decent break shot and i go for a high run. If i miss, i restart and try again.

Looking for ways to energize my routine and get more improvement, open to tips and suggestions and your ways of practising!

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
When i get to the pool hall on a day off at 11am, i have a 7 hour window of practice time, depending on who comes down to challenge me. I wanted an opinion from the instructors/pros on how beneficial this routine is to me or if i should make some changes, as i have heard conflicting answers.

1: I start off practicing a few kicks using the Zero X system i purchased recently, as that was a weak part of my game until now. I do short rail kicks, long rail kicks and some two railers followed by a few banks using the same diamond system. I do this for a half hour if its at my home base, sometimes longer if its at a new venue where i have a tournament coming up and want to see how the tables play speed wise and kick wise.

2: Then, i throw 1-9 out there and run a few 9 ball racks until i feel loose. Once i feel i am ready, i play the ghost in a race to 9.

3: A friend showed me this drill where you rack 15 balls, break and run as many as you can. The last five balls are worth 2 points and must be run in order, so 20 total points in a rack. Once you miss, you re-rack, break and run again. You do this 10 times and get a total score inbetween 0-200. Theres a table that displays your rating, or what level you play at, such as 180+ touring pro, 140-160 - Semi pro, 160-179 - open player etc. Something along those lines. So i do this once per practice session, as i feel it helps with straight pool, 8 ball and pattern play in 9 ball, as the last five balls have to be run in order and it makes you use your head to try and strategically lay out the last five balls.

4: Finally, on to straight pool. I set up a decent break shot and i go for a high run. If i miss, i restart and try again.

Looking for ways to energize my routine and get more improvement, open to tips and suggestions and your ways of practising!

Number 3 is similar to the game of Equal Offence.
The game of Fargo starts numerical runs anytime ... https://youtu.be/CHj6KUw8xzE