Bocote Joint Collars

TwoRailDave

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was looking to have a custom made with bocote collars and butt cap. Does anyone have any experience stabilizing bocote for collars or caps? Does it stabilize well? I know bocote is a stable and strong wood in it's natural state. Is it strong enough or should I have it stabilized? The collars would probably be 3/8" long and butt cap .75 long

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking to have a custom made with bocote collars and butt cap. Does anyone have any experience stabilizing bocote for collars or caps? Does it stabilize well? I know bocote is a stable and strong wood in it's natural state. Is it strong enough or should I have it stabilized? The collars would probably be 3/8" long and butt cap .75 long

It doesn't have to be stabilized but I would sleeve it over phenolic.

kiinstructor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think when it comes to the joint area and the butt cap area Bocote in itself us not durable enough. Ive seen a few cues that had tulipwood, coco, and bocote joints and most were cracked. As far a stabilizing goes it may strengthen the wood a bit but its nothing like phenolic. Ive never sleeved under Bocote but that may work. Good luck.

JC

Coos Cues
I have made a couple of cues with bocote joints and butt sleeve. I'm a new builder and they have been daily players now for a couple of years without issue. Time will tell I guess but it seems plenty durable so far. If they break I'll do something else. I have tried Katalox too and had a butt sleeve split from slamming the cue to the ground.

JC