Shooting drills or practice ideas?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place an object ball on the spot.

Take cue ball in hand anywhere behind the head string,

Pick a corner pocket (left or right).

After you pocket the ball in the pocket you picked (right or left), play the cue ball as it lays
and place another object ball on the spot and play it into the same pocket.

You repeat this until you miss and when you do miss, you start over again but this time, you
play the opposite corner pocket.

Sounds pretty simple, right? It's just a spot shot exercise.....right? If you think that, then you
had better not even bother with this drill. It's actually a cue ball speed and position drill.

If you think not, then tackle this one.......how many can you pocket in a row to both pockets and
you will pocket more balls to one side but the question is how many in a row can you make.

The personal best at Blue Fin Billiards by a player I won't reveal because I do not want to scare
away his action is 36 and 32 balls pocketed consecutively.

Now don't cheat.......cue ball in the kitchen......EZ spot shot.......but it's to the same pocket and you
do not move the cue ball after pocketing the first spot shot.....play it as it lays until you miss and then
start over switching corner pockets.

This may sound simple, boring, not much of a challenge.....to which I say "Really?" ......then pick up
your cue and walk the talk because talking the walk sitting on your ass at home typing a reply is easy.

More seriously, this drill is harder than it looks because most good players can pocket 1/2 dozen or a
dozen balls but breaking the 20 barrier is a lot harder. It distinguishes the stronger players really fast.

Matt B.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to be clear....the player I am referring to did not start out by making those high runs.
The personal best run is just that. It's his highest run performing this drill and just like you
and me, he practiced this drill to get good. Anyway, high runs of >30 balls is very impressive.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya don't do drills...when you do drills you are setting up the balls in artificial positions that you don't come across in a game situation. Better to spend time on your fundamentals. When the pressure is on players rely on their fundamentals. Appleton was saying while running the last rack in the US open (?) Anyway all that was going through his head was "don't move your head".
(and yes I know DA does drills)

Drills give a controlled environment in which to work on fundamentals while also working specifically on problem areas. I'm not sure why you would tell anyone not to consider drills as a valid and useful form of practice. The shots you set up in drills are absolutely shots you will see in games. If you do not think this is true then I don't think you have played this game enough to give such pointed advice.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP:

I have never been one to set up drills and practice that way, but I certainly can see the benefit of doing it that way. I just always hated setting them up. I usually just set up particular shots that have the elements that I feel I need to work on, and do that over and over and over again. It's the same as drilling just without the setup work.

I also think there is benefit to not shooting the same exact shot every time, as can be the case with well set up drills. Having to make slightly different calculations every time will help keep you on your toes. Having said that there certainly is benefit to shooting the same exact shot over again in order to really fine tune certain aspects of the shot.

You have to keep track of what things are giving you trouble in competition, even if you jot them down in a little notebook. When you get to the practice table, take out your notes and attack those problems head on. Also pay attention to your psyche while you play and attempt to find areas that may need improvement. how do you react to missed postion or missed shots? How do you react to what your opponent does. A ton of improvement is to be had when you can identify ways to make your mental game stronger.

I have been playing mostly rotation so most of my practice nowadays involves throwing all nine or ten balls out on the table and running them. This gives you a lot of different things to practice and helps in achieving the eventual goal of running more tables. If a problem area arises during this process I will stop and work on that area, setting the shot or a similar shot up over and over again until I have solved the reason why I was struggling with the shot. Nowadays, though, usually one or two times setting up the offending shot will right the ship and the run will continue.

drlouis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I'm an 'A' rated player in my pool league. Been stuck here for a long time and not improving much. In leagues I will typically run out a table in 8 ball off the break about 10 percent of the time. I often do better in practice, but lack confidence at times in actual competition which affects my ability to play to my best game. I'd like to step up my game to be able to compete with the master level players in my league.
I've always battled with social anxiety, so I have never been able to make many friends in the pool world to practice with. So I usually practice alone. I know this has been a hindrance in my progress towards improving my game, but I love to play and want to get better. So I was wondering if any of you better players out there have any ideas for Shooting drills, or anything else, I could use to improve my game? I don't own a pool table so I go to the pool hall to practice. Thanks
I don't have a lot to contribute, but I see you're in Lincoln... just a little closer and I'd be more than happy to play with you. I'm just down I-80 in Hastings. One thing I noticed while looking for a table if you do look into getting a home table is don't buy in Lincoln they are higher than Omaha even if you factor in mileage for delivery.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I'm an 'A' rated player in my pool league. Been stuck here for a long time and not improving much. In leagues I will typically run out a table in 8 ball off the break about 10 percent of the time. I often do better in practice, but lack confidence at times in actual competition which affects my ability to play to my best game. I'd like to step up my game to be able to compete with the master level players in my league.
I've always battled with social anxiety, so I have never been able to make many friends in the pool world to practice with. So I usually practice alone. I know this has been a hindrance in my progress towards improving my game, but I love to play and want to get better. So I was wondering if any of you better players out there have any ideas for Shooting drills, or anything else, I could use to improve my game? I don't own a pool table so I go to the pool hall to practice. Thanks

Video record yourself doing drills then watch it back. It works wonders for your self critique/coaching (which all players need in order to improve).

Take lessons from a professional coach. The best investment you will ever make.

Only practice on 9 foot tables. Your flaws will show and allow you to focus your energy on areas you need to improve.

Do demanding drills, and stay on them until you succeed. Even if you make it part way through, you will still be improving. Conquering the drill is not needed to improve.

Here are some:

Darren Appleton Dynamite Cross of Death
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=469270

Lee Brett's Snooker Line-up drill for Pool
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=422084

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this! Going to try it soon as I have time. More fun than playing the ghost and this may actually be an interesting alternative to 3 ball when playing with a few people.

Place an object ball on the spot.

Take cue ball in hand anywhere behind the head string,

Pick a corner pocket (left or right).

After you pocket the ball in the pocket you picked (right or left), play the cue ball as it lays
and place another object ball on the spot and play it into the same pocket.

You repeat this until you miss and when you do miss, you start over again but this time, you
play the opposite corner pocket.

Sounds pretty simple, right? It's just a spot shot exercise.....right? If you think that, then you
had better not even bother with this drill. It's actually a cue ball speed and position drill.

If you think not, then tackle this one.......how many can you pocket in a row to both pockets and
you will pocket more balls to one side but the question is how many in a row can you make.

The personal best at Blue Fin Billiards by a player I won't reveal because I do not want to scare
away his action is 36 and 32 balls pocketed consecutively.

Now don't cheat.......cue ball in the kitchen......EZ spot shot.......but it's to the same pocket and you
do not move the cue ball after pocketing the first spot shot.....play it as it lays until you miss and then
start over switching corner pockets.

This may sound simple, boring, not much of a challenge.....to which I say "Really?" ......then pick up
your cue and walk the talk because talking the walk sitting on your ass at home typing a reply is easy.

More seriously, this drill is harder than it looks because most good players can pocket 1/2 dozen or a
dozen balls but breaking the 20 barrier is a lot harder. It distinguishes the stronger players really fast.

Matt B.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My favorite drill, taught to me as a teenager and I still enjoy doing it at 61, is the L drill, with 8 balls lined up and spread out evenly in a straight line from the foot spot back to the end rail closest to the foot spot, and the other 7 going from the foot spot straight across to the side rail at the 2nd diamond. You can do this drill to either corner pocket, altering the placement of the final 7 balls.

You can do this drill either starting with ball-in-hand first shooting the ball on the end rail and trying to maintain the proper angle to make all 15 of them in order, or you can start with ball-in-hand and shoot the ball on the head spot first, then playing shape for any other ball, in order you choose. Either way you choose is very demanding - probably moreso to try to go in order from the end rail first.

When you miss, you set them back up and start over. When/if you've mastered getting through all 15 without a miss (not easy), then you can add 2-4 more balls, and move your lines of balls to 2-1/2 diamonds/sights from the corner pocket instead of 2 diamonds, making it much more challenging.

I can do this drill for hours without getting bored - frustrated maybe! I'm not a one pocket player, but I can only assume this is a particularly valuable drill for one-pocket players.
One Pocket instructor Tom Wirth stresses using the L drill.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Video record yourself doing drills then watch it back. It works wonders for your self critique/coaching (which all players need in order to improve). You must know what to look for,
before watching video helps you much.

Take lessons from a professional coach. The best investment you will ever make. Absolutely true. Be sure to get a coach/instructor that uses and understands video analysis. Hint: A pro player will frequently not know how to effectively use video analysis.

Only practice on 9 foot tables. Your flaws will show and allow you to focus your energy on areas you need to improve. This one I have to disagree with. While I prefer 9' tables, to tell people not to practice on smaller tables (when, for some, that's all that's possible) is ridiculous.
Disciplined practice on any size table can yield substancial results.

Do demanding drills, and stay on them until you succeed. Even if you make it part way through, you will still be improving. Conquering the drill is not needed to improve.

Here are some:

Darren Appleton Dynamite Cross of Death
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=469270

Lee Brett's Snooker Line-up drill for Pool
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=422084

It's not true that a "less demanding" drill cannot benefit you in a big way. The simplest drill in the world (throw out 3 balls and pocket them numerically) can bring long term results when practiced properly.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After removing snow this morning and not feeling like kicking my arse any longer, less demanding drill was in order. Forced myself to do it 3 times and retired to the recliner. Just one of them days, but can say I accomplished something. lol https://youtu.be/qO9RGHiSpLM

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not true that a "less demanding" drill cannot benefit you in a big way. The simplest drill in the world (throw out 3 balls and pocket them numerically) can bring long term results when practiced properly.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

This is kind of a simple response, Mr. Lee.
The guy said he is an A player in leagues (I'm assuming 7 foot tables) and asked how to get better because he's stuck in a rut.

Throwing out 3 balls and running them is like getting on a treadmill and trotting out a mile at a speed of 3.
Sure you "ran" a mile, but did you press yourself to work outside your comfort zone and improve your fitness?
Sure he runs 3 balls repeatedly for 3 hours, but did he get outside his comfort zone and improve?

Can you at least let us know of a drill you would recommend to an A player who is looking to improve?
The 3 ball ghost is not going to test him.

I'm a professional in another industry other than pool, so all I can do is apply the same teaching/practice/progression theories to pool.
The best learning about your true skill is done under pressure and through intense focus.
I think that applies to pool here and it's what I'm recommending to the OP.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
...social anxiety.

You answered your own issue, social anxiety.
Take everyone's advise here about it.

ANXIETY, begets case of nerves, begets the shakes, sometimes begets second guessing, begets missing shots.

I had it when started playing Steel Darts, so I shrewdly entered only doubles tournaments.
I got QUICK advice, after all if my partner wanted to win... :rolleyes:
BTW: Never picked up a steel dart, I hit pro status in 1 year then got invited to a world tourney. Talk about HIGH "social anxiety". At first OH SURE but making friends there worked wonders. Quickly felt like home. Won the first round, second was a nightmare. BUT WAS SILL FUN!

HOPE WE HELPED :thumbup:

Last edited:

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this post as some good information was shared. I printed out some pages and
showed my wife. She started some of them and could see the examples.

I did shoot the 7 Up drill and after hitting them, threw in the suggestion about continuing
the run without ball in hand for extra points. Great suggestion as after shooting three racks
with ball in hand, I was getting bored already, but, with the twist of shooting the 8 ball in after
a matched set was in, going to the next set without a ball in hand made in worth while.

Thanks for the post and the comments,

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is kind of a simple response, Mr. Lee.
The guy said he is an A player in leagues (I'm assuming 7 foot tables) and asked how to get better because he's stuck in a rut.

Throwing out 3 balls and running them is like getting on a treadmill and trotting out a mile at a speed of 3.
Sure you "ran" a mile, but did you press yourself to work outside your comfort zone and improve your fitness?
Sure he runs 3 balls repeatedly for 3 hours, but did he get outside his comfort zone and improve?

Can you at least let us know of a drill you would recommend to an A player who is looking to improve?
The 3 ball ghost is not going to test him.

I'm a professional in another industry other than pool, so all I can do is apply the same teaching/practice/progression theories to pool.
The best learning about your true skill is done under pressure and through intense focus.
I think that applies to pool here and it's what I'm recommending to the OP.
one way to make the 3 ball run a challenge to an A player is to put a small target where you want the cue ball to land
determine the margin of error ie distance from target that seems challenging
if you dont get there you lose... 3 ball ghost wins

debyw

Registered
I might suggest to join Behindtherock.org All games are against the Ghost and forces you to stay focus on every shot or you get punished. It's a weekly tournament that pays weekly and can played anywhere anytime (including your home table). 5 divisions and coming with more new games soon. Visit the website to find out more https://behindtherock.org/home/general_information or call 541-204-1929 to find out more on how to get started.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Here's a drill Roy posted on his facebook page. It's another tough drill, similar to Darrens, but well worth the time. Roy said it was shown to DoDong and a few others by Ruslan Chinahov.

https://www.facebook.com/RoysBasement/videos/1524654534292472/

Another drill I always go back too from time to time, is the Ladder Drill from Kinister(I believe).
Start with a ball 1 inch off the rail at every diamond that is not a middle diamond. This means you will have 2 balls on every rail section, separated by center diamond. The remaining 3 balls go on Head spot, Foot Spot, and Center Spot.

Take ball in hand, run them all out without touching another ball. Touch a ball, start over.
This is a good start point. After you do this a few times, move the balls to 1/2" from the rail....then lastly, frozen.... which is tough.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best way to improve is to work on your weaknesses. This is obvious and trite but I think it's also correct. The two problems this leads to are:

First, what are your weaknesses? It is hard for most players to analyze their own games. Looking at self-videos can help but as has been pointed out it takes some experience to know what to look for.

You have identified lacking confidence during competition. Competing more will help. Force yourself to find a practice/sparring partner for regular friendly competition. For me, "The Inner Game of Tennis" helped a lot with the mental side of the game.

When you are in competition, try to note -- as in make entries in an actual notebook -- which shots you have trouble with. Be sure to note those shots that come up more than once. Maybe it's making a shot; maybe it's playing position from a shot; maybe it's having no clue about how to play a safe when you have no good shot.

Second, figure out how to work on those weaknesses. I think too many players have some favorite drill they happen across -- some examples are in this thread, and I have my own favorites -- that they spend time on when they should be spending time on the thin cuts that cost them two games last Saturday or the lousy draw control that left them hooked three times on Sunday.

Find a drill that addresses a weakness that you found in part one. If you can't find a pre-made drill in some book or online, make up your own. Somewhere in my archive of columns is an explanation of how to design your own drills for problem shots in the style I call "progressive practice." My columns, which also include a lot of drills:
http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/BD_articles.html
and
https://issuu.com/thebreak (one column each issue)

Dr. Dave has a lot of drills listed at: http://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/index.html#drills He and I also did a whole series of videos about practice methods called the Video Encyclopedia of Pool Practice, in case you want to spend a little money. A lot of samples from that are free on-line. See Dr. Dave's site.

If you can, take at least a couple of hours of lessons from a pool instructor. It could be that you have some major flaws in your fundamentals.

Read. There are lots of good, useful books about pool. There are also some real pieces of crap. (Actually, that's true about videos as well.) Read and study until you can tell which is which.

HemiRR

Registered
Ya don't do drills...when you do drills you are setting up the balls in artificial positions that you don't come across in a game situation. Better to spend time on your fundamentals. When the pressure is on players rely on their fundamentals. Appleton was saying while running the last rack in the US open (?) Anyway all that was going through his head was "don't move your head".
(and yes I know DA does drills)

I AGREE

Do you have to think about walking up a down stairs in public? Probably not. Why? Like most of us, we have done it so often it becomes rote (thousands of time). You need to have you fundamentals down so pat its like waking up and down stairs, you do it with out thinking about taking each step.

But you need to do both. Proper drills to to set your fundamentals in stone, and compete as often a possible (even other types competitions will help) I was a champion marksman when I was late in my teens and early 20s, I shot hundreds of rounds a week - I even had exact replica CO2 rifles, so I could shoot in the basement. If I had 20 minutes I could just go down stairs and get 20 minutes of shooting in. I competed in dozens and dozens of high level matches. That match experience carried over to cue sports - I just don't feel nervous in competition, I seem to relish the opportunity for the competition.

I don't think I have natural talent for cue sports, but I was able to bring that discipline to pool and snooker. I am a decent player (at 68 I break down on my stroke too often to compete against the best and win, except once in a while when the sun, moon, stars align and I beat a good player). I even managed to win an open tourney once (as much to do with the luck of the draw, as anything) and been 9-12 in a few big regional tourneys