Mezz PB 2 problem and customer service

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everybody.

One year ago I bought a Mezz Power Break 2 cue with Deep Impact shaft, from a known member here on the forum. I used it all year without any problems, break with it, and used it for jump shots maybe 2-3 times. I was satisfied with cue performance, the Sonic tip hold chalk pretty well. I don't have a powerful break, for 9-ball I use soft break, and for 10-ball a medium break, trying to pop up cueball, something like SVB break.

2 weeks ago, in a Sunday 10-ball match, when I was ready to break I observed a crack on the ferrule, I thought it was a chalk mark, but on a close view it was a crack in phenolic ferrule. The crack starts from the middle of tip, extends through the tip pad to the ferrule. Must say I was surprised, I never thought that in a break cue a phenolic tip could crack, and it can cause a crack in a ferrule, I was for the first time disappointed in Mezz product. I'd like to say that I don't abuse my cues, didn't snap them or do anything abnormal with them. The ferrule and the tip are original.

In my vision, a crack in ferrule is a warranty problem, so I wanted to contact the Mezz, but on their site, there is no contacts. Everyone who has a problem with Mezz products should contact the local dealer, but the warranty is only available for the original purchaser. I decided to wrote an e-mail to Romanian dealer, even if I didn't buy the cue from them and I'm not the original purchaser of the cue. I asked them if they could ask Mezz if my problem is a manufacture issue and is there any warranty applied OR to ask Mezz if they could repair the shaft and I'd pay that work. Dealer called me after my second e-mail, and they said that they will contact Mezz and let me know if there is a solution.
After 10 days and another e-mail I have no answer.

My questions are:
1) Do you think such a crack is a manufacture problem?
2) Can somebody provide me the Mezz contact details, so I can contact them directly?
3) What do you think about this situation?

I trusted Mezz products, but now I can't recommend anybody a Mezz, they charge a lot of money for the products, but lifetime warranty protects only the original purchaser. If you buy a s/h Mezz, you don't have any warranty, even if it is a manufacture problem?

Here are some photos with the shaft, the crack on the tip is not very visible on pictures,but it is there.

P1070252_zps4037b49e.jpg

P1070259_zpscd99e73b.jpg

P1070231_zps3feb7e02.jpg

More links
1) http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj491/Alexandru_Mark/P1070220_zpsb51d76f1.jpg
2) http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj491/Alexandru_Mark/P1070225_zps76502075.jpg
3) http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj491/Alexandru_Mark/P1070229_zpsfeb6d3de.jpg
4) http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj491/Alexandru_Mark/P1070231_zps3feb7e02.jpg
5) http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj491/Alexandru_Mark/P1070232_zps1f7791b6.jpg
6) http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj491/Alexandru_Mark/P1070252_zps4037b49e.jpg
7) http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj491/Alexandru_Mark/P1070257_zps35aabdd3.jpg
8) http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj491/Alexandru_Mark/P1070259_zpscd99e73b.jpg
9) http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj491/Alexandru_Mark/P1070260_zps1df5dac6.jpg

PS Sorry for my English.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
wow, that is a nasty crack, I would not wait for Mezz to come back about warranty though. I would take it to local Mezz dealer and have them replace the ferrule, of course pay for it.

I am not familiar with cue warranty, and have not been explained properly by dealers also. Would love to hear from others.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
My questions are:

1) Do you think such a crack is a manufacture problem?
No. Break shafts take a lot of power (even if you break soft, what did the previous owner do?) and eventually
a ferrule can break. It should not but it happens with every brand of cue occasionally.

2) Can somebody provide me the Mezz contact details, so I can contact them directly?
Mezz does not deal directly with end-consumers, you will have to go thru a dealer.

3) What do you think about this situation?
I am very sure that if you did buy it new from a dealer Mezz would replace the ferrule for you free of charge.
In Germany where my company is, there is a 2 year warranty on all consumer products, so also on Mezz.
Not sure if Romania has 1 year or 2 or whatever.

You did not buy it from a dealer, have no idea how old it is or what happened to the shaft throughout it's lifetime.
It is unreasonable to expect Mezz to repair it for you on their cost. You should be able to have Mezz
repair it for you if you pay for it butt Mezz is in Japan. You would be looking at maybe € 75 in shipping and around
€ 35 in repair costs.
A local cuemaker can repair it for you and you will be good to go for around € 35.

gr. Dave <--- Mezz dealer.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Looks like someone took that tip down really close to the ferrule. They are normally a good 3-4mm taller.

That could be part of the problem.

mezz-deep-impact-break-tip-brown.jpg

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like someone took that tip down really close to the ferrule. They are normally a good 3-4mm taller.

That could be part of the problem.

Yes that could be part of problem, but in that case why they don't warn the buyers, if your tip is less than 2 mm, change it.
I thought Sonic is kind of phenolic tip, and there is no need to change it, seems I was wrong.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sonic tip is not phenolic .. It's carbon fiber based and it is a BEAST.

Best cue ball control I have ever experienced. Hard to believe this is a production cue.

Perhaps that's why it costs more than most Custom breakers ... Sure is nice to see a cue manufacture come out with a new product that exceeds the hype. :thumbup:

guitars34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
because that is common sense. there also is no reason to take a break tip down that low anyways.

I doubt anyone intentionally took the tip down. The sonic tip wears down. Mine is getting to the point of needing replacement as well.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
To expect a company to warrant a second hand break cue that's been pounding racks for so long the tip is worn down to the ferrule almost is asking a lot. I recently had to replace a phenolic ferrule on my custom break cue because it cracked also and I don't have a sledge hammer break! Phenolic will crack eventually from breaking. Mezz builds quality products and you should get a good repair man to fix your cue and enjoy it some more. It's a great J/B cue!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes that could be part of problem, but in that case why they don't warn the buyers, if your tip is less than 2 mm, change it.
I thought Sonic is kind of phenolic tip, and there is no need to change it, seems I was wrong.

What do you mean, warn the players? like include that information when the cue is new? you wouldnt know. email people who bought them? they didnt know you bought it.

It seems like you are pushing for people to take your side, but we can't.
The reason we can't is not because we want mezz to 'win' and you to 'lose', it is because the facts here indicate the problem isn't mezz's responsibility.

You bought it used, it was not in proper operating condition the last time it was used.

We don't think it is reasonable to expect mezz to fix it under warranty. I don't think mezz can even fix it under goodwill (to provide care for its customer), because you aren't mezz's customer.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you mean, warn the players?
I mean they should write on their website something like this - If tip is wore down more than 2-3 mm, the tip should be replaced.

I didn't expect that a carbon fiber, or a phenolic tip could crack in such way, that's why I used the cue, if I knew that I replaced that tip. I still think that a tip shouldn't crack in that way for any reason.

I don't push anybody to take my side, I just shared my experience and my vision on it, perhaps it's a wrong one.

Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I still think that a tip shouldn't crack in that way for any reason.

And I would think everybody knows that things like finish, wrap and tip on a cue wear out over time, they do not last forever.

I am sorry this happened to you, but please stop thinking it was a bad product or Mezz's responsibility to fix.

Live and learn.

gr. Dave

MalibuMike

Banned
Will Mezz replace the cracked Ferrule on my ProEx Shaft?

I have only had the shaft 3 months, I like it alot, but the ferrule has started to crack. Will Mezz replace this? I had the stock tip taken off and put a Longoni Medium Tip on it. Does that nullify my warranty? Jezz I paid 4 bills for that shaft! can anyone replace the ferrule on one of these or will a bunch of carbon pour out????? Can I put a Ivory Ferrule or an old school yellowed Schon Micarta Ferrule on it? or does that blow the whole light end mass theory?
BTW, I scored the new improved Tiger Pro X Shaft from Tony, Tiger's owner and a heck of a nice guy, now Tiger is not one of these outfits that come out with a new shaft every year like Pred, OB and even Mezz.
The New Tiger Pro X plays awesome and as good if not better then my Mezz ProEx! and $150 bucks cheaper!!! Its has a better taper down to 12 mm, up from the 11.75 which was a tad too small for me. This shaft literally has ZERO measurable deflection on a 9 foot table! No wonder Tiger is so popular with 3 Cushion players! I like both shafts and can pick up one or the other and not know the difference!
OK Any Suggestions on my Mezz Ferrule?

From the pics below, you can see I have played with many different shafts and I am down to only 2! Mezz ExPro & New Tiger ProX with awesome new logo!!!!! like on their shirts!

Attachments

• 20150429_174214.jpg
    20150429_174214.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 243
  • 20150425_172032.jpg
    20150425_172032.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 1458112516645.jpg
    1458112516645.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 257
  • 20150523_134027.jpg
    20150523_134027.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 253

Ill Gotten Gain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That tip was definitely taken down/ altered. Probably by previous owner. You would not have had an issue if the tip was left original. Mezz warranty wouldn't cover that even if you were the original buyer. It's altered. It's just that simple

Mezz has no obligation to post a warning about a break tip being too low because that tip would've lasted forever had it NOT been taken down/ altered.

Last edited:

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have only had the shaft 3 months, I like it alot, but the ferrule has started to crack. Will Mezz replace this? I had the stock tip taken off and put a Longoni Medium Tip on it. Does that nullify my warranty? Jezz I paid 4 bills for that shaft! can anyone replace the ferrule on one of these or will a bunch of carbon pour out????? Can I put a Ivory Ferrule or an old school yellowed Schon Micarta Ferrule on it? or does that blow the whole light end mass theory?
BTW, I scored the new improved Tiger Pro X Shaft from Tony, Tiger's owner and a heck of a nice guy, now Tiger is not one of these outfits that come out with a new shaft every year like Pred, OB and even Mezz.
The New Tiger Pro X plays awesome and as good if not better then my Mezz ProEx! and $150 bucks cheaper!!! Its has a better taper down to 12 mm, up from the 11.75 which was a tad too small for me. This shaft literally has ZERO measurable deflection on a 9 foot table! No wonder Tiger is so popular with 3 Cushion players! I like both shafts and can pick up one or the other and not know the difference!
OK Any Suggestions on my Mezz Ferrule?

From the pics below, you can see I have played with many different shafts and I am down to only 2! Mezz ExPro & New Tiger ProX with awesome new logo!!!!! like on their shirts!

Most likely not. I had a ferrule crack on one of my WX700 shafts after about 6 months of use and still under warranty. I was honest about some power draw shots I was doing that possibly cracked the ferrule. The dealer I bought it from tried to explain to me the proper way to draw a ball. lol Anyway talked to Mezz and they said they can't fix it, but will send me a ferrule. 3 weeks go by and no ferrule. I said the hell with it and bought 2 ferrules from the same person at Mezz. Man, I thought I was a cheap person. Then found out most of the cue makers in my local area don't have experience replacing the threaded ferrules. They all wanted to put slip on ferrules on or wouldn't touch it. Talked to one cue maker that would fix it for me. After paying to have it shipped and repaired was at least half the cost of the shaft. I just bought a new WX700. Now, why would I pay more for the Ex Pro that has the same weak nylon ferrule material and repeat history costing more money.

I gave the shaft to a friend of mine to experiment with it. He's replacing the wood tenon with a carbon fiber rod. Not sure the material he's using to make the ferrule, but it's light and flexible. If I like the hit of it, when the other weak nylon ferrules give out will have him take care of them too.