RIP Gary Benson

Samantha820643

aka Lady Lock
If you've ever played in a VNEA, APA, ACS or many other bar box tournaments in Canada or the USA, you've probably met Gary Benson. He has been a tournament director and table supplier for tournaments for over 30 years.
Today he passed away.
I've had the pleasure of knowing him since I played in my first tournament when I was 15 in Greeley Colorado. I got to take care of his house when they'd be in Vegas for their long tournament stretches, you'd see him at all local league functions and tournaments, hanging out at Bugsys's in Vegas and he was also my boss at High Country Billiards and BMW Billiards for many years. I have so many great memories and I'm sure many of you do as well.

This is from his son, Shannon, on Facebook:
A little about dad:
Dad served proudly in the United States Marine Corp. He was a Vietnam Veteran and loved the service he did for his Country . He used to talk a bit about some of the stories from his tour there . He used to have some really great old 8mm film of his time in Vietnam. We will be having a full military burial to honor him and his service in the Marine Corp at Logan National Cemetery in Denver CO . We felt that would be a great way to honor his service and his life .
He was an icon and true champion in the growth of amateur pool in the billiard world . Helping build the foundations of many Leagues and Major tournaments around the US and Canada. He was one of the first league coordinators for D&R Star in Rochester MN . There for the creation of the VNEA Pool leagues with Dick Hawkins. That led to our own amusement route in Colorado , called High Country Games and Music. That really increased the size of pool and dart leagues in Northern Colorado for many years . He started High Country Promotions with Jim Mason back in 1988 , with 40 pool tables and a couple goose neck trailers . I am proud to say we have grown that to 9 semis with 360 pool tables setting tournaments year round all over US and Canada. I am truly lucky to have learned from the best in the business on how to run a pool tournament and really learn this industry from the ground up .
The foundations he has laid will continue to survive in the billiard world for a long long time.
He has also been in the bar business for a long time off and on. From Gary and Jo's Place in Pine Island MN , Match Ups Pool Hall in Fort Collins CO to Bugsy's in Las Vegas NV.
It really has been a great outpouring of love and memories that you all have shared. It really shows how many thousands of people he's interacted with and touched over the years . Lots and lots of stories over the years lol .
We will be having a celebration of life for dad at Match Ups Pool Hall in Fort Collins CO. Since we owned that for many years, I thought it would be a great place for everyone to have some drinks , food and tell some great stories . Not a big fan of funeral homes so I figured let's party it up , tip a few back for dad and celebrate his life.
We will put out information for services as soon as we have them scheduled . It will be about a week or so for us to get arrangements set . I have a hunch there's going to be a few people wanting to attend and that will give you some time to plan your travel arrangements.
Thank you again to everyone for the really amazing support and the outpouring of love thru this difficult time.
Peace and Love
Shannon and Corey

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Please let us know the details. I'll be there for sure. PM me if needed. He and I laughed and dealt with this game so many times together and during the BCA yrs when they moved from IA to CO.

Bill Meacham...saddened, but he and I could get it going....what a great sense of humor he had. All I can think of, is how he was always the light in a dark room.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gary Benson was a pillar of the pool community! He was the first I know of to stockpile large numbers of 7' tables just for the purpose of putting on pool tournaments all over the country. He provided me with a truck load of tables for the U.S. Bar Table Championships for many years in Reno. He was a great guy to work with. He had a terrific attitude, a keen sense of humor and was an honorable man. We never had and never needed a written contract between us and we did business for fifteen years.

Last I knew he was living in Las Vegas and I saw him there maybe a couple of years ago. He was a good friend to me and to the sport we all love. Rest In Peace my friend!:lovies:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Met Gary roughly thirty years ago when he ran the BCA league events at The Riv. He always had a smile for me and me for him. Since then, I've attended many events he was TD for. ACS, VNEA and APA. Always enjoyed our banter. The pool world is a much emptier place with Gary gone. My condolences to his families. Both personal and business.

Lyn

PS When Gary said I'd be a Master player for the rest of my life, he wasn't kidding :eek: !!!!

Island Drive

Silver Member
Bump...........I'm surprised so few non pros don't comment on this thread.

He was at the core of amateur play in the USA for DECADES.

Like Helfert said, a Pillar of the billiard community, and a man of his word.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Bump...........I'm surprised so few non pros don't comment on this thread.

He was at the core of amateur play in the USA for DECADES.

Like Helfert said, a Pillar of the billiard community, and a man of his word.

Bill,

I'm guessing the greatest percentage of amateur players that attended events Gary and company ran have no idea who Gary was. Just another TD to most players. Some of us grew to understand just how much Gary contributed to the pool world. Sad but true!

Lyn

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Gary seemed like the kind of guy the pool world needs and maybe its because of Gary and others like him that the game is alive and well in the Rocky mountain region.

RIP Gary and condolences to his family and many friends.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I saw Gary at Matchups a few month ago
Gary will be missed up here in Northern Colorado
RIP Gary Bensen

Island Drive

Silver Member
Many pros in their early years, cut their teeth in bar pool.
One of the greatest games is 8 ball on a tight bar table.
Perfect congestion....Shane loves this game on a Box.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts to the Bensen family. I am a amateur player only as I play in the VNEA league program. I have participated in roughly the last 30 VNEA world championships in Las Vegas and one in Reno and can't say for sure in the early days if I knew Gary or not, but as the years went by, we would share some conversations and on a couple of occasions, have a few drinks. Mr. Bensen put a lot of time into creating and improving the sport for amateur players.
Chuck

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a friend to all

Gary was truly a man that would make time for a story or thought you wanted him to hear. He always tried to make the game fair for everyone. In the 80's when I really started to take pool serious Gary helped me enjoy and want to raise my level of competition. Being from Wyoming at the time Gary and Kevin Archer always made me feel at home and would go out of their way to accommodate me any way they could. I will never forget the fond memories of Gary and Kevin and the wonderful Matchups crowd. May God be with Garys family and friends during this time of mourning. tom bourdeon

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
R I P, Gary. Most pool players should know the man behind supplying pool tables for the vast majority of the largest league and bar table tournaments.

Pool has truly lost one of the best promoters, tournament directors and just an all around great guy.

I knew Gary from mid 80's, last got to talk to him in Wichita Falls in June. Always very friendly and personable.

Gary was the kind of man, that if I had lived closer to him, I would have liked to have known a lot better and had for a close friend.

YES, the pool world lost one of our Best ! R.I.P.

Robert Newkirk

Last edited:

Samantha820643

aka Lady Lock
From Shannon Benson:
FUNERAL SERVICE ARRANGEMENTS

Funeral arrangements are confirmed . Please share this post so we can get the word out to everyone. We will also be doing a Facebook live feed from the service so even if you can't travel you can certainly still be a part of the ceremony . I will put out the details of where to catch the feed later this week .
We are going to ask people, that in lieu of flowers if they so choose , to make a donation in Gary's name to the American Cancer Society.

Obituaries and additional information will be available at www.ncccremation.com

Funeral service will be :
Tuesday , Dec 17th at 11:15 am
Fort Logan National Cemetery
4400 West Kenyon Avenue
Denver , CO 80236

If you are planning on attending please be at Staging Area C no later than 11 am . From there , there will be a procession at 11:15 am to where the service is going to be held . I have never been there so if you need directions please contact Fort Logan National Cemetery directly . (303)761-0117 .

Celebration of Life Gathering :
Following the service we will be having a Celebration of Life Gathering for Gary at
Match Ups Pool Hall and Grill starting at 4pm .
625 South Mason
Fort Collins , CO 80524