DCC Straight Pool Thread

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Some may not even kniw much about it, but the George Fels Memorial Straight Pool Challenge at the Derby has built quite a reputation for itself over the last few years. There is quite a bit of added money, and the players are really showing up and making some high runs. Dennis Orcullo has had multiple 100 plis ball runs this week including a 198. Chris Melling is in the lead with a 225 ball run . Several other players have had big runs. It's being streamed by TV Mike, and if you get a chance to watch the stream or in person there's a pretty good chance you'll see something special.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

banditgrrr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 different PPV's for the same event is asinine. I paid for AccuStats and I paid for the action room. I can't see paying for a 3rd stream. Mike can call it a "membership" all he wants. If money comes out of my account to watch it, it's PPV.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hard to know about it with little to no information about the high run standings in either the Main Forum or the 14.1 Forum, at least the top eight, as eight qualify for the tourney that will decide the champion.

One must wonder whether the results represent classified information.

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
b2d2366c2bdbf42a8ba6a71c1f57f591.jpg

Here is a picture of the standings after yesterday's play. I'll post a picture of more updated standings once I see one on Facebook. *photo is from Dennis Walsh who is one of the benefactors and organizers of the 14.1 event*

mmktierney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you....appreciate the update.....wish I was there. I went a few years and it was the best trip I ever made....pure action 24 hrs a day, everyday....non stop

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stronger than a trout flavored milkshake.

Yet Dennis O came within 15!
Did anyone watch his run at catching Melling? Was it nerves being a rack away from the lead?
How did he lose the run?
Heartbreaking I'm sure.

Any details would be greatly appreciated.

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis Walsh posted his last rack on his Facebook. He made about 5 stellar shots in a row and he was on 210 when he made his break shot. Break shot glanced off the rack (excellent spread) and dribbled slow into the side pocket. What a shame

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis Walsh posted his last rack on his Facebook. He made about 5 stellar shots in a row and he was on 210 when he made his break shot. Break shot glanced off the rack (excellent spread) and dribbled slow into the side pocket. What a shame

Oh, that's a heartbreaker for sure.
Thanks for the details.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Here is the bracket for the single elimination the Phil Capelle posted on Facebook. He says the order or pairings could change.

5dc3d68e54e63272ea676907150d88d7.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the matches played Thursday afternoon/evening Shaw beat Archer and Melling beat Lo.

Shaw broke, Archer missed a tough half-ball cut from the end rail and Shaw ran 112 (going to 125) before very uncharacteristically missing a break ball. Archer ran a few and Shaw got out in a few innings. He made the mistake on the final break shot of letting up thinking he only needed one or two after the break shot. As Irving Crane taught us, don't play an "almost there" break shot any differently than a middle-of-the-game break shot. Play what you know and have practiced.

In the Melling-Lo match there was a lot more back-and-forth. I think the score was 125-90 or so. The end of the match was notable for safety play that made me grit my teeth. I think Melling may have played only one or two matches before and simply has never seen the standard plays. I talked to him after the match and he did not know how the 15-point penalty for three fouls worked.

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big thanks to Bob, Dennis, and Phil Capelle for keeping everything updated.

Has Melling ever played in a 14.1 tourney before? He's an excellent cueist so I expect nothing less.