Playing with an extension

michaelsu51216

Registered
I'm about 6 feet and plays pretty comfortable on a 58 inch cue, but seeing all the pros now playing permanently with an extension makes me wonder if i should get one, my bridge is about average length and my hand doesn't go too close to the bumper, I know that if i play with an extension i'll need to get used to it but are there any benefits playing with an extension apart from long shots, like added stability or a better feel to the stroke? nThe extension im looking at is 6 inches added to the bumper

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried playing permanently with one but found myself in too many venues with not enough clearance for it. After getting annoyed about taking it on and off, I decided to just pull it out when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm about 6 feet and plays pretty comfortable on a 58 inch cue, but seeing all the pros now playing permanently with an extension makes me wonder if i should get one, my bridge is about average length and my hand doesn't go too close to the bumper, I know that if i play with an extension i'll need to get used to it but are there any benefits playing with an extension apart from long shots, like added stability or a better feel to the stroke?
I'm just shy of 6'2" and recently added a 3" ext. to my Mezz. I love it. I took out the weight bolt and with the ext. it weighs the same as before(20oz). The ext i got is made of cf and you get them from Rick Roper on FB. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=498897

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...are there any benefits playing with an extension apart from long shots, like added stability or a better feel to the stroke? The extension im looking at is 6 inches added to the bumper
Adding it to the butt end can add a little stroke stability: a little more "ballast" = a little more inertial resistance to moving the butt offline.

pj
chgo

michaelsu51216

Registered
I tried playing permanently with one but found myself in too many venues with not enough clearance for it. After getting annoyed about taking it on and off, I decided to just pull it out when needed.

How did it feel compared to playing without the extension?

michaelsu51216

Registered
You don't always hold it on the extension. Are you referring to a mid or butt extension?? I only use it on long shots.

Butt extension, isn't the shorter the bridge the more front of the cue you should hold, the only concern im having is that the weight from the extension will make the cue extremely heavy at the back, making short bridged shots hard.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did it feel compared to playing without the extension?

I have a weight bolt kit so I’ve started without an extension playing with no bolts at all (super light), with all the extra bolts in (super heavy), various amounts in between, and positioned more front or back. I can’t say I learned much except that lighter kind of feels better to me.

So when I tried to permanently play with the extension it definitely made my cue heavier relative to it on. It felt different and was on my mind while stroking regarding speed control. I think I could have gotten used to it if I played with it more. And it did make the cue feel more bulky. I didn’t mind too much when playing on the 9th table because it helped me so often. Playing on a 7’ table made it feel extra bulky and clunky. But to be fair I was using the full Predator 8” extension. I can imagine a 3” extension being easier to adapt to.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How was it dealing with the cue ball on the rail with a longer cue, since the bridge needs to be shorter?

I play full time with a 5.5" extension. The only time I take it off is for shots where I'm cueing right over a ball or frozen to the rail... and some very close/jacked-up shots/masse.

I feel it helps the most in that you almost never have to stretch... just change you grip a bit. Keeps things flowing. Also seems to make long straight shots a little easier.

P.S. I play 99% on 9 foot tables.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Butt extension, isn't the shorter the bridge the more front of the cue you should hold, the only concern im having is that the weight from the extension will make the cue extremely heavy at the back, making short bridged shots hard.
That's why i took out my weight bolt. I barely notice the ext. Mine only weighs 2oz. I've hit cues with longer/heavier ext's and i didn't like that feel at all.

michaelsu51216

Registered
I play full time with a 5.5" extension. The only time I take it off is for shots where I'm cueing right over a ball or frozen to the rail... and some very close/jacked-up shots/masse.

I feel it helps the most in that you almost never have to stretch... just change you grip a bit. Keeps things flowing. Also seems to make long straight shots a little easier.

P.S. I play 99% on 9 foot tables.

Would you suggest me to get an extension? I play pretty good with my 58 inch cue and would it be beneficial, it's really to hard to try one in Australia and not many extensions fit my cue, I use cuetec and they only offer a 6 inch

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you suggest me to get an extension? I play pretty good with my 58 inch cue and would it be beneficial, it's really to hard to try one in Australia and not many extensions fit my cue, I use cuetec and they only offer a 6 inch
Contact Rick at those links i gave. My 3" cf was only 60bux. He makes really nice stuff and has a golden rep. Good guy to deal with.

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How was it dealing with the cue ball on the rail with a longer cue, since the bridge needs to be shorter?

If you watched Turning Stone this past weekend, SVB removed his extension on a rail shot for better balance. I think with it on the cue feels too butt heavy on rail shots.

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adding it to the butt end can add a little stroke stability: a little more "ballast" = a little more inertial resistance to moving the butt offline.

pj
chgo

I'm currently looking at having a butt extension made for my custom BHQ which sits at 63" right now. I'm 6'6" and have a wingspan closer to 7' so I had Brent make the cue for me as long as he felt comfortable doing back in 07. I've taken 10 years off playing and just getting back into it, I love the cue and it fits very nice, but I find it feels really light in my hand and when I choke up on it I like the feel of having cue length behind my hand. But when I choke up it throws off my stroke and I feel a bit "smushed" and clunky. I'm hoping the extension will level off my stroke a bit more and give me more of an feeling of inertia behind my hand.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm hoping the extension will level off my stroke a bit more and give me more of an feeling of inertia behind my hand.
I think it's mostly a feeling - doubt the inertia increases enough to do much physically. But how it feels is important...

pj
chgo

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's mostly a feeling - doubt the inertia increases enough to do much physically. But how it feels is important...

pj
chgo

I definitely know it's a placebo affect but I do thing there is something there when mass is added behind your hand in your stroke.

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just shy of 6'2" and recently added a 3" ext. to my Mezz. I love it. I took out the weight bolt and with the ext. it weighs the same as before(20oz). The ext i got is made of cf and you get them from Rick Roper on FB. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=498897

Hey garczar, how does your Rick Roper extension screw into your Mezz butt? Do you have an X-Bumper on the Mezz or did the extension come with its own bumper? Thanks for your time!

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm about 6 feet and plays pretty comfortable on a 58 inch cue, but seeing all the pros now playing permanently with an extension makes me wonder if i should get one, my bridge is about average length and my hand doesn't go too close to the bumper, I know that if i play with an extension i'll need to get used to it but are there any benefits playing with an extension apart from long shots, like added stability or a better feel to the stroke? nThe extension im looking at is 6 inches added to the bumper

My girlfriend prefers I use an extension. My wife could care less.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...I'm hoping the extension will level off my stroke a bit more and give me more of an feeling of inertia behind my hand.

I definitely know it's a placebo affect but I do thing there is something there when mass is added behind your hand in your stroke.
I think pool players are probably sensitive enough to physically feel the slight increase in the cue's resistance to sideways movement, so even if it isn't enough to limit movement it's still helpful as an "alarm".

pj
chgo