USA vs. Europe Styles

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone else notice how much more fluid the American players' games look?

Europeans really look tight an rigid, despite an overwhelming home court advantage.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin Hall just came back from 3-1 down to win 5-3. He just cooly walked over and shook Nick's hand. No sexy fist pumps and hip thrusts like the Euros like to do.

Just sayin.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin Hall just came back from 3-1 down to win 5-3. He just cooly walked over and shook Nick's hand. No sexy fist pumps and hip thrusts like the Euros like to do.

Just sayin.

Of course not they are still down and in no position to get cocky.

Euro looks more rigid, but focus. USA looks lose in an attempt to control nerves.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well..,

Europeans really look tight an rigid, despite an overwhelming home court advantage.

The Most of those guys have a Snooker stance or are converted from that game, its a more ridge look, but its not a matter of them being tight, its just their style of play.

They know they have a far better team, Shane is the only real threat to these guys and they know that.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

That's actually what most pool players say when comparing the snooker and pool stance/stroke/fundamentals. In snooker, the focus is on alignment and accuracy. In pool, the focus is on "comfort."

Trust me, after you convert from the pool stance to a snooker stance, what at first seemed "rigid" and "uncomfortable," quickly becomes natural and comfortable as the body adapts to it. To most snooker fundamental devotees, pool fundamentals look loosey-goosey.

The Most of those guys have a Snooker stance or are converted from that game, its a more ridge look, but its not a matter of them being tight, its just their style of play.

They know they have a far better team, Shane is the only real threat to these guys and they know that.

Yup, the Americans don't look fluid at all. In fact, with the exception of Shane and Justin Hall, they look like they're losing confidence. :(

-Sean <-- ever hopeful that the US Team knuckles down

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't know your definition of "fluid" and "rigid" but the Europeans players stance look as solid as a rock. Also, they can put the CB effortlessly wherever they wanted to, that's fluid for me.

the USA guys not only move the CB but also their body when they shoot, I assume that's what you mean by fluid ;)

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know your definition of "fluid" and "rigid" but the Europeans players stance look as solid as a rock. Also, they can put the CB effortlessly wherever they wanted to, that's fluid for me.

the USA guys not only move the CB but also their body when they shoot, I assume that's what you mean by fluid ;)

Euros got no rhythm like shane or the two justins. I bet if they stretch the races to 7 or 8 even, then the Mosconi Cup would be totally different.

Last edited:

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jhall is 3-1 and you think Shane is the only threat? I bet you'd be surprised if you could ask team Europe that right now.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you gotta define it, then you aint gots it my friend

Well I don't think I really care :).
Anyway, the fact is under pressure we better slow down. Trying to keep the rhythm may not the good idea. results never lie. If you watch the mosconi cup in the last few years you could see how the rhythm players like Rodney, Hatch, Earl, Shane (this year), Bergman,etc... played badly.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I don't think I really care :).
Anyway, the fact is under pressure we better slow down. Trying to keep the rhythm may not the good idea. results never lie. If you watch the mosconi cup in the last few years you could see how the rhythm players like Rodney, Hatch, Earl, Shane (this year), Bergman,etc... played badly.

You DO care, HelloBaby. I know you do

Pleinairrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I played with a dude about 6'5, 50+ years old. Played with some old McD with a wolf on it. The guy had the ugliest stroke. He played virtual straight, held the cue way up high with the ugliest grip, was cocky as hell, liked to bank and shoot behind his back. He also couldn't miss.

Then there is Fats. I don't know where all these stroke theories came from but citing these players throws much of that out of the water from my perspective.

I have noticed that besides SVB, most of the Euro players are in better shape. They also have the break and lag down pat.

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member
Euros stay in line better and make balls better it looks like. Their strokes aren't quite as good but who cares for this equipment.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say Europe got almost all the rolls so far. That counts for a lot in races to 5.

:eek:

Yeah...Europe got the rolls especially since they rarely miss and

play good position. They play nearly perfect.

A matter of fact, I think they might of missed some shots just to

make the scores a little closer.

I think team USA is just out classed playing as a team.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Europeans play a simpler style with mostly center ball. And most Americans play with a lot of spin, hit the balls harder and use the rails to play shape. The American Style also requires a feel for the table. In a short race, with a fast table, it gives the Europeans an advantage.

However, I don't think that the Europeans look tight at all. Actually, they walk around the table and look like they own the area. It builds their self image and sends a message to their opponent that they are in charge. Like the old adage, "Don't let them see you sweat."