Break Shaft Oponion

manopr350

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried a dymondwood shaft with a G10 tip as a break shaft and I find it "lifeless" for lack of a better word.
Who, in your opinion, makes the best break Shaft.

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
Ive always liked the OB break shafts. Lomax and gilbert make a helluva break cue too. It really depends on your budget. For me the OB rift with control shaft is perfect.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Wood with conical taper...brand not important on this one.

+1

Conical shafts don't bend as easily, IMO, so more of the energy goes into the cueball versus bending the shaft. If I get some free time I'll add a video of a leather-tipped McDermott break cue later.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried a dymondwood shaft with a G10 tip as a break shaft and I find it "lifeless" for lack of a better word.

For me, a break shaft needs to be stiff, strong and heavy .. You will have your choice of several good shafts.

What really makes the difference to me is cue ball control, and as far as I can tell the tip has far more to do with that than the shaft.

Three years ago I bought a new breaker, mostly because I just felt like getting something new and high quality, I got a Mezz Power Break Pro and it came with a Mezz Sonic tip.

In a very short while playing with this breaker my cue ball control became better than ever. I really like the results I was getting, so I decided to get a Sonic Tip and put it on my old breaker -- you got it -- now I was experiencing the same cue ball control that I was getting with the Mezz.

What I have found, and this may just be me, but if you have all the power you need in your break, and many of us are capable of generating more power than we actually use, at that time it all becomes about the tip and cue ball control.

A very hard break tip is always sold as, "Really transfers all the energy to the cue ball because the tip is so hard."

I say who cares - I can already deliver all the power I want, and that extremely hard tip will not allow me to control the cue ball with anywhere near the consistency of a softer tip.

So, for me, It's any good quality hard, stiff and heavy shaft with a Mezz Sonic tip.

Good luck.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:smile:

I only play on bar boxes so my Predator Z shaft with a leather tip works well for me.

:thumbup:

9ball mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo

I feel like my Predator Revo is the best break shaft I have ever had. I have had several of the top rated break cues such as BK3 OB Rift, Tony Layne, and several others and I think hands down the Revo is the best.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I like purple heart for a break shaft. I've got one by Andy Gilbert and it has a samsara break tip and it's a sledgehammer.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Purpleheart all the way. Get ahold of Ben Green, he'll sell you just a shaft.

Natural low deflection. Put a Taom on it, and your good to go.:thumbup:

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently got a G10 tip on my breaker, but I am not that thrilled about it. How are your experiences with the G10?

superpanget2

Registered
I have an Alex Brick J/B cue made of dymondwood, it came with a white diamond tip, I'd say it's very good but ball control can be hard if you're not breaking in the centre of the cue ball.

Funnily enough I was breaking one day and the tip came off! and for the love of me I cound't find it anywhere, it just vanished out of thin air LOL. Anyway I had a couple of spare Samsara break tip I installed myself and I'm very happy so far. I can now control the cue ball better even when breaking off centre. My 2 cents.:cool:

HyperioN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just switched up my break cue. I had a McDermott jump/break cue that I got before I knew any better. It had a very weak hit and the jump portion sucked too. I sold it and bought a break cue from Schmelke. I can't say enough great things about it. It's their model JB00: sneaky pete butt with cocobolo and straight grain maple, purpleheart shaft, phenolic ferrule with hard ultraskin tip. It hits like a ton. I may add a Taom or Hammerhead tip. It was a steal for $160!!

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What did you not like about your Mezz H shaft? Imo, they currently make the best break shafts/cues.