Played APA today.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roger on the grandeur and I also enjoy playing with friends and having a good time, that's why I stick to APA. More pool, more opportunities, and more fun.

Speaking of APA and CPA, our LO just posted a tournament - Idaho against Canada in 9B! It's a random draw so not sure if I'll make it, it's 8's and 9's and I'm not sure how many 8's we have. That is something I definitely want to play in. It's taking place on 7/3 (4's and 5's) and 7/10 (8's and 9's).

And yeah, the 7's (8B) and 9's (9B) can definitely vary. I think we only have 5 9's in our area and we range from 520 to 611 in FargoRate. One of them just recently got back into pool and he should end up in the mid 600's by the time he has 200 games in. We joke that the league operator needs a new patch that says "I beat a 12".

It can go the other way too. I don't play much 8 ball in APA but there is a 7 that I have played a few times and I've beat him up pretty good.

As someone mentioned, it completely depends on the area. If there aren't that many strong players then people that really should be 6's move up to 7's then a true 7 joins the league and demolishes them.

Can't be too many 8s or 9 handicaps in Idaho. I'm pretty sure they don't have a 9ft table in that entire state;)
My $ would be on the Canucks.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
couldnthinkof01...How much would you like to bet that there aren't 9 foot tables in ID? Nah...don't bet. I don't want to take your money. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Can't be too many 8s or 9 handicaps in Idaho. I'm pretty sure they don't have a 9ft table in that entire state;)

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
couldnthinkof01...How much would you like to bet that there aren't 9 foot tables in ID? Nah...don't bet. I don't want to take your money. :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Rural states must not have 9' footers...heh heh...I'd love to have someone say that about Maine... :p

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
americancuesports.org

I'm North of the border so I play in the CCS. Honestly the CCS doesn't have the same grandeur of the CPA (APA). I believe the ACS was one of those splintered off groups after the BCA buy out.

The strength of the league wasn't a consideration for my decision to play though. It was all about having a good time with buddies. I show up, drink some, bug my teammates about the shots they missed and go home.

Well a player's APA 8 ball ranking much like every other organization is subject to the pond they swim in. I've always maintained that there is 3 levels to a '7' in APA.
1) The guys who are strong 6's and get to swim with the bigger fishes for a short time before being cobbled up
2) The legit 7's who hammer the rest of the league and battle with only other 7's
3) The 'super' 7's (if you will) that hammer everyone and should really be a 8 or more if that was possible in APA

I say this because I find the mass majority of the 7's in my region aren't top tier players at all. These guys "get the rolls" because they play with that "lucky" methodology. ~I got nothing so lets swing at something~ The 'super' 7's would be a 7 anywhere. Everyone else's ranking is subject to the quality of talent in their area. For me, I fully expected all the roll to go against me...lol. Having a reputation as a strong player has it's advantages in this regard though. There's been more than once I've "played" a roll in my favour and my opponent just assumes I meant to do it...lol ...good times :)

There really needs to be an SL8 level in APA 8 ball. Your assessment is spot on.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee
You see the winky face right?

How many 9ft tables do they have in public like a bar?
I don't know if they even have a pool hall.

Their biggest tournament is the Pocotello Open, I believe,
played at a bunch of bars because they dont
have enough tables to play in one venue.
I also don't know how many of the top 10 in their big
tournaments are from Idaho. I would guess less than
30%

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't be too many 8s or 9 handicaps in Idaho. I'm pretty sure they don't have a DECENT 9ft table in that entire state;)

Fixed that for you :)

And this is APA, do the Canucks play APA on 9 footers? I know they do in the Boston area.

Scott Lee

You might be surprised Scott. There are two public places, that I know of, in the Boise area with 9ft tables. The local pool hall and the local university. The tables at the pool hall are, frankly, crap. The rails are dead and some are literally falling off. They also have brown felt, which to me is one of the worst colors to put on a table. I love the pool hall and the people that work there and the one owner I know is awesome but I've come to the realization that I simply don't enjoy my time there (as a pool player) so I only go there if I have to, ironically I have to go there Saturday for an APA tournament. I have not been to the university but have heard they are worse.

I do know one person with a 9ft at home and have heard others have either bought them or are going to soon, but those are private individuals.

Paddy's in North Idaho had some 9 footers but the last time I was there they had a bunch of new diamond 7 footers, I would hope they would keep the 9's but I'm not sure if they still have them.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There really needs to be an SL8 level in APA 8 ball. Your assessment is spot on.

I'm not sure it would do much here, in places with a lot of strong players it would probably bring in more revenue because it would force teams to split up but I don't think there are enough high level players in the Boise area for it to make that much of a difference.

You see the winky face right?

How many 9ft tables do they have in public like a bar?
I don't know if they even have a pool hall.

Their biggest tournament is the Pocotello Open, I believe,
played at a bunch of bars because they dont
have enough tables to play in one venue.
I also don't know how many of the top 10 in their big
tournaments are from Idaho. I would guess less than
30%

I think the biggest tournament in the area is the Wormo Classic in Twin Falls. It's a 3 or 4 day event with scotch doubles, 8B and 9B (I think those are the three games). Either way, it's the largest one in the area that I am aware of.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is when guys like Felix and Vince come down
from the great white north those
guys aint got no putt putt bar table stroke:)