What Cue Ball do you prefer and why

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello

Wanting to get a couple of new Cue balls. I am looking at Aramith Super Pro red circle , measles ball , and Blue circle Aramith. Which do you like best and which one gives the best quality. I had read were the Aramith red circle cue ball is lighter but according to Cuestix the weight is the same for all mentioned. Thanks

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the cueball that came with the set of balls I’m using. I don’t like it when there’s a weight difference or size difference between the two. After that, I don’t really care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the red cue ball that comes with Aramith Super Pro, the black cue ball that comes with the Aramith Tournament, and the red measles ball.

I play 98% of the time with the measles ball so I can see the effects of spin, deflection, and spin transfer.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I prefer the cueball that came with the set of balls I’m using. I don’t like it when there’s a weight difference or size difference between the two. After that, I don’t really care.

This, to me, is the right philosophy,

lawlist

Registered
I use the Aramith red circle 2-1/4. I bought it from Seyberts to guarantee that it was a genuine Aramith ball. For me, it is as simple as having played a zillion hours in my youth with a red circle and I wanted the same experience now that I am twice the age I was since the last time I played.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello

Wanting to get a couple of new Cue balls. I am looking at Aramith Super Pro red circle , measles ball , and Blue circle Aramith. Which do you like best and which one gives the best quality. I had read were the Aramith red circle cue ball is lighter but according to Cuestix the weight is the same for all mentioned. Thanks
Red Circle - simply because it is the easiest CB to stay/keep clean of chalk marks as well as much easier to remove miscue marks from than any of the others.

Last edited:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agree. I’ve weighed and checked ball sets in our lab. Any set Today is accurate to within a thousandth in size and weight. Balls made in a different manufactured batch are always different.

An aside, at home if I want to see any movement on the cue ball, I just substitute a striped ball as the cueball, white becomes that number. I’ve never really understood the idea of red dots. Much easier to follow the Spin on a striped ball.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the Difference between the Measles pro cup ball and the Aramith pro red circle ball. According to the description they are made from the same stuff. Only the Measles ball is about $20 bux higher. I guess maybe they charge for the extra red dots 😆

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the Difference between the Measles pro cup ball and the Aramith pro red circle ball. According to the description they are made from the same stuff. Only the Measles ball is about $20 bux higher. I guess maybe they charge for the extra red dots 😆

You're probably right.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I question that they could have the same surface, as the Measle ball retains Master blue chalk marks and the red circle doesn’t.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
it's a mistake to concentrate on the spin of the cue ball visually

Hello

The best cueball used to be the "Blue Dot" and the "Blue Circle" - Now apparently the Red Circle is equivalent to those other two.

The Measle Ball is my least favorite, it's a mistake to concentrate on the spin of the cue ball, it makes the player too visual, spin and deflection should be a FEEL - the human mind can't process feel as well in a visual mode.

The Game is the Teacher

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reminds me of Lazers

Attachments

• J K 121.jpg
    J K 121.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 583

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Circles are nice, but I have two Hyatt Blue Circle balls that have never been on the floor and they are my vision of a perfect cue ball.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Circles are nice, but I have two Hyatt Blue Circle balls that have never been on the floor and they are my vision of a perfect cue ball.
Unfortunately, blue circles retain chalk marks more than any other cue ball, without question. Quite obviously that’s a high priority negative for me when rating my preference for cue balls.

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately, blue circles retain chalk marks more than any other cue ball, without question. Quite obviously that’s a high priority negative for me when rating my preference for cue balls.

In my opinion the red circle ball looks and plays the best. It also does not hold chalk and scuff marks on the ball as much as a blue circle or measle ball. I think the measle plays the worse.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I confirmed it with a scale. The first three come in at 5.9 ounces or 168 grams, while red circle at 5.6 ounces or 159 grams, same as Rempe Training ball.

Hello

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
the best cueball used to be the "blue dot" and the "blue circle" - now apparently the red circle is equivalent to those other two.

The measle ball is my least favorite, it's a mistake to concentrate on the spin of the cue ball, it makes the player too visual, spin and deflection should be a feel - the human mind can't process feel as well in a visual mode.

The game is the teacher

amen......

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I confirmed it with a scale. The first three come in at 5.9 ounces or 168 grams, while red circle at 5.6 ounces or 159 grams, same as Rempe Training ball.

I doubt that the red circle you are weighing is new. A new genuine Aramith red circle will be very close to 5.9oz and 168g.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Circle - simply because it is the easiest CB to stay/keep clean of chalk marks as well as much easier to remove miscue marks from than any of the others.

Yes - this. I also frequently use a measle ball for practice to see the spin, but have to clean chalk marks off a lot more frequently than the red circle. BTW - chalk marks on cue balls are easily cleaned off with a paper towel and some isopropyl alcohol.