Nice out by me

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what was going through my head when I saw the layout of this rack:

There was a thread here maybe 5 years ago, maybe even started by me, I really forget now. It was a WWYD type thread. There was a super tight position option available in that thread, and there was great discussion, as always, on how to play it. I believe the forum consensus was it was too tight a position, and to play safe instead. Then J Bergman got on, and said he would go for the tight position.

So when I saw where the 1 and 2 ended up after the break, I laughed at myself, and immediately thought of that old thread (which I haven't given second thought to in these years). I said to myself, I'm going to go for that shot, and post it on AZ. So I went for the tight position shot on the 2, got great on it, and then made a couple of tough (for me) shots to follow it up. At that point, the layout was easy (for a good player), and I was thinking to myself, I really don't want to screw up the rest of the out, because then the rack wouldn't be worth posting on here. So that made me tighten up a big and get nervous. Since there was something "on the line" for me getting all the way out.

While I was in that "nervous" mode, the shot that gave me the most pause was the 6 to the 7. I wanted to hit it with slight inside, and with a bit more speed, so I can get closer to the 7 than I did. Similar final angle, but closer. I said to myself, that shot is harder to pocket, so I will go for the safer route instead, that would leave me further from the 7. I'm still not sure if I made the right choice here. When I was down on the shot on the 7, I did feel far away from it. It doesn't look that far in the video, but it felt far when I was down on it, and my nerves were high, so I can complete the out for posting here.

Its funny how my brain immediately went to that old thread, and JB saying he'd go to it.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what was going through my head when I saw the layout of this rack:

There was a thread here maybe 5 years ago, maybe even started by me, I really forget now. It was a WWYD type thread. There was a super tight position option available in that thread, and there was great discussion, as always, on how to play it. I believe the forum consensus was it was too tight a position, and to play safe instead. Then J Bergman got on, and said he would go for the tight position.

So when I saw where the 1 and 2 ended up after the break, I laughed at myself, and immediately thought of that old thread (which I haven't given second thought to in these years). I said to myself, I'm going to go for that shot, and post it on AZ. So I went for the tight position shot on the 2, got great on it, and then made a couple of tough (for me) shots to follow it up. At that point, the layout was easy (for a good player), and I was thinking to myself, I really don't want to screw up the rest of the out, because then the rack wouldn't be worth posting on here. So that made me tighten up a big and get nervous. Since there was something "on the line" for me getting all the way out.

While I was in that "nervous" mode, the shot that gave me the most pause was the 6 to the 7. I wanted to hit it with slight inside, and with a bit more speed, so I can get closer to the 7 than I did. Similar final angle, but closer. I said to myself, that shot is harder to pocket, so I will go for the safer route instead, that would leave me further from the 7. I'm still not sure if I made the right choice here. When I was down on the shot on the 7, I did feel far away from it. It doesn't look that far in the video, but it felt far when I was down on it, and my nerves were high, so I can complete the out for posting here.

Its funny how my brain immediately went to that old thread, and JB saying he'd go to it.

Good stuff. I'm horrible at 9 ball but enjoy these videos and conversations.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A nice run. The first shot from the 1 to
the two is a very nice shot into tight
position. The rest were pretty standard.

You have a nice stroke and speed control.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The angle he left from the 5 to the 6 by hitting the stop shot left him a longer shot, but a better angle to pocket the 6 and go 2 cushions for good shape on the 7. Perhaps he was afraid if he drew it too far he would have lost his angle on the 6, leaving a tougher route to the 7.

I agree the 4 to the 5 was the best played shot in the runout. Fear of scratching in the side makes that shot much tougher for me than he made it look.

The shot on the 5 wasn't bad.

But you can hear the difference in how he hits the cueball on that shot as opposed to all the others.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shot on the 5 wasn't bad.

But you can hear the difference in how he hits the cueball on that shot as opposed to all the others.

I honestly don't remember if I was trying to draw it back more (in which case you would be correct my stroke let up), or if that's where I was playing the CB fearing if it came back further I'd lose the angle on the next ball. On the video it is clear the CB came back at an angle. But for some reason when I was at the table I may have though the CB would draw perfectly straight back, in which case I would lose the angle. I really can't recall what I thought while playing this shot.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Luckily you had ball-in-hand to start with so you could set your angle to follow and fall just right on the two ball, as that was the only pocket the two ball could be made in.

A good tip is that for most of us, it’s much easier to control the speed of that cue ball to set up that shot using follow as opposed to trying to use draw to set it up.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/wyz72RcrOzE

I thought I did a decent job of this ghost out. At least during the run I thought so:) Video edited to remove all time between shots.

I’m impressed with your straight follow thru and lack of extra movement. I would like to see a side and back view of your stroke. My stroke has been getting crooked and inconsistent. I haven’t had much time to work on it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m impressed with your straight follow thru and lack of extra movement. I would like to see a side and back view of your stroke. My stroke has been getting crooked and inconsistent. I haven’t had much time to work on it.

ha ha, a select video of a good runout makes everything look good:)

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I like how you stunned the cue ball ever so slightly forward on the 7 to get perfect on the 8. Micro positional shots can take a lot of time to get the feel of.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice runout! Getting on the 2 was the key to that runout in my opinion. A really tough shot with a very small margin of error.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all. Thanks for the suggestions. I made a followup video trying all the suggestions in this thread. It looks like going to the end rail from the 2 to the 3 was a better shot. I did this in one take, without any editing, and only missed one ball while talking the whole time. Pretty good for me:) Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/8IVViHWosfA

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, 5" pockets. Only the factory single shim. I torture myself enough on 5", I would never in a million years get a tight table for home. (but I do enjoy gambling on tight tables, just not for home).

But that's the best place to have a tight table, for practice. Then you want the actual matches to be on easier equipment.

Imagine a sniper saying "when I practice I shoot at 30 yards to a 1 foot wide target, I only shoot at 100 yards for a 6 inch target during war".

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll agree to disagree. I have a lot of experience gambling 10 years straight on triple shim GC’s. Both 9 ball and one pocket. For my home table I want to have more fun.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also it’s still a GC, not a furniture table with bucket pockets. On a furniture table you can hit pretty much anywhere and the ball will fall. On a factory GC, you still have to hit the pocket facing if you expect the ball to fall. If you rub the rail on the way in, it will only fall at very shallow angles and slow speed.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I had a not so bad couple outs in this tournament. This landed me an 8th place finish. I was a six handicap and the other guy was a three. And he was on the hill. I played semi strong. I’m happy with my turnout, with 53 players. 20 of them could have won it.

https://youtu.be/jxlI6B2E1RQ