8 ft Olhausen table question.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Son bought this Olhausen table well with the money , very cheap. The owner just wanted it gone. It is Stamped underneath Mfr -1-1994 so I presume that Mfr date. The owner told me the house was built in 1994 and the table was delivered to the home and has not moved since. The cloth is fair but could be replaced. Does anybody have any info on Olhausen tables from that time frame.

Attachments

• C3F94810-E076-4151-924D-779766469B19.jpeg
    C3F94810-E076-4151-924D-779766469B19.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 289

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Olhausen

I have an Olhausen Innsbruck from about that time. Mine doesn't say Accu-Fast on the name plate but it does have Accu-Fast cushions; I'm guessing yours does too. I hope your post and my response do not set off the customary "Get a Diamond or Gold Crown" alarm bells but I am very happy with my table.

At the time there were no Diamond tables and Brunswick Gold Crowns were not available in regular 8 foot size so as I recall, Connelly, A.E.Schmidt, Golden West and Peter Vitalie were about the only real alternatives to Olhausen.

Mine has held up perfectly; I am on about my fourth cloth but the rails are as good as new (please no Olhausen haters jump on this statement).

You can search for "Olhausen" on this forum to learn about the Olhausen "ratlle" if you are not already familiar with this issue. .

And as a reality check, the table mechanics in Atlanta I use say that many of the tables they move or recover are Olhausens and they've only ever seen a few Diamonds. And they like working on Olhausens and how they are put together.

Again, I like my table a lot. Have fun with yours!

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
yea. good tables and play well. only drawback is the pocket mouths are wider than most of us like so balls hit hard down the rail rattle if not hit right. and if hitting the open side of a corner pocket too far out rattles it too. you have to learn and adjust to it.

FJames

Registered
I've been reading about the infamous rattle associated with Olhausen tables for about a year now, and took special note of several owners of such tables , who in effect confirm what I was advised by a salesperson from one of the major billiard retailers in the U.S. just a couple of months ago. The store in question sells tables made by several of the most popular and respected billiard manufacturers. Basically, the reason Olhausen has not changed the pockets to address this " issue ", is that they have always played a little tight, and are intentionally wanting to stay true to their history. Many others have ' eased up ' their pockets, especially those which have over time become Chinese owned. That's not better or worse, . just different. If one is used to playing the popular pool hall Gold Crowns and Diamonds, which can also be difficult in that dept., . . they play different than Olhausens, . . . not better or worse, just different. But in general, the problem is basically in the corners, and the result of being a hard forceful shot off the rails. As always, you just need to learn the table and to ease up with a somewhat softer shot. . not always easy. Regardless, I'm a Canadian, and prefer either Made in Canada, or Made in good ol' USA. :) . . so am happily expecting a well built Olhausen very shortly.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played a lot on Olhausen tables- the real problem with the pocket rattle is that so often when you have a ball on a rail, you NEED a certain speed to get where you need to be for your next shot. You can't really adjust by shooting at a speed that just is too slow for your needed roll - so you have to try and adjust by getting your cue ball on your shot PRIOR to your rail shot to be in position to require less speed on your rail shot.

Having to always think about that extra position need for every rail shot is quite a challenge over a long match. So for every ball on rail with an Olhausen you have to stop yourself TWO balls prior to that shot and look at where you need to be AFTER that rail shot and adjust your position going forward accordingly. I find it to be a real pain quite honestly. It takes some of the enjoyable rhythm out of the game itself.

blehnhard

Registered
My neighbor has a 8.5 x 4.25 Olhausen. Play once a week there for about 2 hours. Just had new cloth Simonis (sp) put on. Corner pocket rattle is a fact of life. Foot end of table is a little out of level - extra roll toward center of table, have to allow for. Other than that, nice table.
We also have 2 Connelly 9 footers at out clubhouse, about 5 years old. Nice tables but play differently. Hoping to get new cloth soon.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with the Rep at Olhausen and the lady was very nice and helpful She said that the table is a American Provincial with oak finish . The cloth is fair but needs new , Any recommendation on cloth and balls , he wants Tournament Blue . Thanks

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a couple of Olhausen tables in that time period, wish I kept either one. I did
have thin pads put in the pockets to narrow them, do not remember anything of
a pocket rattle, but, back then, the music was louder when I played.
If you play tournaments, go to tournament green, it's what is on the tables
you play tournaments on, forget other colors, is my opinion

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Son bought this Olhausen table well with the money , very cheap. The owner just wanted it gone. It is Stamped underneath Mfr -1-1994 so I presume that Mfr date. The owner told me the house was built in 1994 and the table was delivered to the home and has not moved since. The cloth is fair but could be replaced. Does anybody have any info on Olhausen tables from that time frame.

Olhausen had 5 levels of tables in the early 2000s. I am projecting this back into the mid 1990s.

The 5 levels are/were ::
1) laminate over plywood
2) veneer over plywood
3) veneer over soft wood
4) hardwood over soft wood
5) hardwood through and through

I suspect the table you are looking at is (4) or (5). You can tell by looking for a seam between the outer oak hardwood and the inside of the frame. No seam it is of (5), seam but both sides are oak (probably 5), any difference between outside and inside (likely 4).

{Somewhere along the path, the slate frames changed from particle board to something like birch. I forgot where; both (4 and 5) will be birch.}

I have an 8-foot Olhausen from mid 2003 done in solid cherry with mother of Perls diamond inlays with a Diamond light also done in cherry. It has been a good table so far (a bit more than a decade.)

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Olhasen rep told me it was solid Oak with a American Walnut stain and the model is American Provincial it is still in production. That table today retails for $ 5000.00 , not for sure about back then in the 90's what it cost tho.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Olhasen rep told me it was solid Oak with a American Walnut stain and the model is American Provincial it is still in production. That table today retails for $ 5000.00 , not for sure about back then in the 90's what it cost tho.

It was a bit over $3500 in the mid 2000s.