Aramith Pro Cup cue ball improved/changed? When?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had legitimate versions of this cue ball for 15+ years or whenever they came out, all ordered from Seyberts. My biggest complaint has been how quickly they get dirtied up and hold chalk marks, not easily rubbed off with your fingertips as chalk marks on red circles Cue balls can be.

I was told they have improved the outer surface on the measle ball and now they are much easier to keep clean, more like the red circle. Does anyone know when this change in the manufacturing process took place, if indeed it did? I last ordered new Pro Cup cue balls in the individual packs from Seyberts no more than a year or two ago, and still noticed the same problem when using.

Have they been improved more recently than that and is there anyway to tell the difference? I’ve heard the newer versions may be whiter in color as opposed to the slightly yellowish original Pro Cup cue balls, but then an Aramith dealer informed me today that all Pro Cup versions have a yellowish / ivory tint, and any of them that appear "white" are very likely Asian made counterfeit knock-off versions of the real thing.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a advertising gimmick like when you see a TV commercial......

New and Improved Dawn Dish Detergent........more suds for the money
but all they do is make the squeeze opening 10% bigger so you use more soap.
But you do get more suds for what you are paying, never said it was cost effective.

There might be some truth to this but generally, if it was true like a new Duramith
finish protection (?) then it’d get announced and advertised...just like soap detergents.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a advertising gimmick like when you see a TV commercial......

New and Improved Dawn Dish Detergent........more suds for the money
but all they do is make the squeeze opening 10% bigger so you use more soap.
But you do get more suds for what you are paying, never said it was cost effective.

There might be some truth to this but generally, if it was true like a new Duramith
finish protection (?) then it’d get announced and advertised...just like soap detergents.
After I get our shipment of new measle balls later this week, it won’t take long to find out whether there is any difference in how they hold chalk marks - one session. I’ll report back my findings at that time.

Just for kicks we switched up from the red circle CB to the measle CB last night for our weekly nine ball tournament. It didn’t take long to realize / remember why we had made the switch to red circles - no comparison regarding the surface appearance between the two in the course of a session. It’s virtually impossible to keep the measles ball looking clean during play, even with effort.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the things I’ve noticed is that cue balls mark faster depending on the player and chalk they use.

I still can’t understand why so many players misapply chalk to their cue’s tip that results in over chalking.
Some brands of chalk are just awful & I don’t know why people continue to use them but so be it I suppose.

Aside from the chalk mark imparted to a cue ball, there’s also chalk debris at point of contact on the cloth.
Even senior players manifest atrocious chalking habits & truth be told, way too many players do it wrong.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Duramith tier balls are supposed to stay much cleaner (I can't personally attest). IDK if the latest and pro-cup CB's purchased separately are the "Super Pro" tier or the "Duramith" tier. If the latter, they should be much better.

Timeline is the Duramith came out maybe 5 years ago. But I think it caught on very slowly, and most tournaments were still using the Super Pro tier. The Duramith is the top of the line.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Duramith tier balls are supposed to stay much cleaner (I can't personally attest). IDK if the latest and pro-cup CB's purchased separately are the "Super Pro" tier or the "Duramith" tier. If the latter, they should be much better.

Timeline is the Duramith came out maybe 5 years ago. But I think it caught on very slowly, and most tournaments were still using the Super Pro tier. The Duramith is the top of the line.
So you are saying there are two versions of the pro cut measle ball out there (the Duramith being the more recent) and at some point they changed? Or are they are both still being manufactured and sold as new balls, and if so, how do you know which one you are getting?

Just seems very strange I can’t get some of the largest Aramith ball supplier / dealer account reps to confirm whether anything has changed with the pro cup cue ball since it was first introduced years ago, even when I questioned them directly about this?

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you are saying there are two versions of the pro cut measle ball out there (the Duramith being the more recent) and at some point they changed? Or are they are both still being manufactured and sold as new balls, and if so, how do you know which one you are getting?

Just seems very strange I can’t get some of the largest Aramith ball supplier / dealer account reps to confirm whether anything has changed with the pro cup cue ball since it was first introduced years ago, even when I questioned them directly about this?

I'm not sure, there is some ambiguity here. The Duramith when you buy the whole set all the balls look different. And the CB has a different logo. (I bought the set 4 years ago but its still in the box I never took them out to play the set). I know they now have a TV set of the Duramith (they did not when I bought my set), and IDK if that comes with a measles ball or not. If so, it probably looks exactly the same as the Super Pro resin measles ball. So I don't know how you'd tell them apart.

I think if you are buying a separate measles ball today, if it does not say Duramith on the packaging, I'd be pretty sure its the Super Pro resin.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.amazon.com/Aramith-Tournament-Pro-Cup-Value-Pack/dp/B01DR8JRO6

And here is the TV version of the Tournament Duramtih set, which comes with a measles ball. So here is proof two measles balls exist. One Super Pro resin, and one Duramith resin. If you can buy the Duramith resin measles separately, I don't know.

Edit, this is the value pack set, not the TV set, but the point remains valid.
So has anyone here purchased a pro cup cue ball recently that comes in the individual single ball packaging and says Duramith anywhere on the packaging?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.amazon.com/Aramith-Tournament-Pro-Cup-Value-Pack/dp/B01DR8JRO6

And here is the TV version of the Tournament Duramtih set, which comes with a measles ball. So here is proof two measles balls exist. One Super Pro resin, and one Duramith resin. If you can buy the Duramith resin measles separately, I don't know.

Edit, this is the value pack set, not the TV set, but the point remains valid.
This is not proof of anything, in my opinion. They could just simply be swapping the black Aramith logo Duramith cue ball with the pro cup measle cue ball. It doesn’t necessarily mean this measle ball has the same Duramith finish on it that the black logo cue ball that normally comes with this set has.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So has anyone here purchased a pro cup cue ball recently that comes in the individual single ball packaging and says Duramith anywhere on the packaging?

I just purchased a Aramith measles ball from a big online pool supply place. Unfortunately the ball showed up with no packaging. So I am just going on the reputation of the site that I got a genuine aramith ball.

I will say the ball I got is terrible for chalk marks and they don't come clean easily. Compared to my cyclop's hyperion cue ball this ball I got doesn't even compare when it comes to cleanliness. I constantly have to clean this new aramith ball with a microfiber towel, whereas the hyperion I could just wipe off on my shirt every few racks.

I did check the weight on the balls and it weights exactly the same as the rest of the duramith tournament balls that I have.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just purchased a Aramith measles ball from a big online pool supply place. Unfortunately the ball showed up with no packaging. So I am just going on the reputation of the site that I got a genuine aramith ball.

I will say the ball I got is terrible for chalk marks and they don't come clean easily. Compared to my cyclop's hyperion cue ball this ball I got doesn't even compare when it comes to cleanliness. I constantly have to clean this new aramith ball with a microfiber towel, whereas the hyperion I could just wipe off on my shirt every few racks.

I did check the weight on the balls and it weights exactly the same as the rest of the duramith tournament balls that I have.
Until someone here actually reports to me that they have a pro cup measle ball purchased from a reputable dealer and not a possible knock off version, that does not retain chalk marks badly when using normal chalk like master chalk far worse than a red circle cue ball does, I do not believe anything has changed with the original pro cup measle ball surface resin, and the problems with cleanliness that has always been the problem with this ball.

As far as ordering a pro cup cue ball from a reputable supplier that was not individually packaged, I wouldn’t necessarily be too concerned as to it being a knock-off. I just ordered a bulk of 16 pro cup balls from Felice at Ivan Simonis, who I’ve dealt with personally for 20+ years and who is an an authorized Aramith dealer. She quoted me a price of a couple dollars less per ball if I got them in bulk and not the individual packaging, but I did confirm with her that they are indeed the exact same ball.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I’ve had legitimate versions of this cue ball for 15+ years or whenever they came out, all ordered from Seyberts. My biggest complaint has been how quickly they get dirtied up and hold chalk marks, not easily rubbed off with your fingertips as chalk marks on red circles Cue balls can be.

I was told they have improved the outer surface on the measle ball and now they are much easier to keep clean, more like the red circle. Does anyone know when this change in the manufacturing process took place, if indeed it did? I last ordered new Pro Cup cue balls in the individual packs from Seyberts no more than a year or two ago, and still noticed the same problem when using.

Have they been improved more recently than that and is there anyway to tell the difference? I’ve heard the newer versions may be whiter in color as opposed to the slightly yellowish original Pro Cup cue balls, but then an Aramith dealer informed me today that all Pro Cup versions have a yellowish / ivory tint, and any of them that appear "white" are very likely Asian made counterfeit knock-off versions of the real thing.

If the cue balls are your main issue, suggest you just replace and keep buying red circle cue balls when you need to. Constantly buying brand new sets of Duramith or other Aramith top brand does not make sense for a pool room. The red circle lasts a long time, resists chalk marks better than any other. Also, less expensive than Measle cue balls.

All the best,
WW

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the Tournament TV set a few months ago. The Duramith measle ball is whiter than my older Pro cup version. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to play enough to say if it stays cleaner than the non-white version

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cue balls are your main issue, suggest you just replace and keep buying red circle cue balls when you need to. Constantly buying brand new sets of Duramith or other Aramith top brand does not make sense for a pool room. The red circle lasts a long time, resists chalk marks better than any other. Also, less expensive than Measle cue balls.

All the best,
WW
You are correct - the red circle is still easily my top choice for our pool room. I just like to mix it up for our regulars as well as for myself once in a while. Much like switching cloth color from Simonis green to tournament blue and back again, every few years.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Son just Ordered 2 new Super Pro Cup Red Triangle ball that comes in the Blister pack. This is supposed to be the newest bestest Cue Ball Aramith makes. Will report back once we give them a go

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
My Son just Ordered 2 new Super Pro Cup Red Triangle ball that comes in the Blister pack. This is supposed to be the newest bestest Cue Ball Aramith makes. Will report back once we give them a go

Good luck. If it exists, It's not made by Aramith.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is the Super Pro cue ball. It shows here on there website https://www.aramith.com/cue-ball. I said Pro cup my bad. The Super Pro with the red Triangle with Razor sharp ability it says lol
I think you mean red logo, not red triangle! The Aramith red logo Cue ball, which accompanies the super pro set is certainly not new. I believe the newest Aramith cue ball offered is the black logo Duramith cue ball that comes with the Aramith tournament ball sets.

Last edited: