Dufferin Question

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Need opinions.... I have some used red leaf Dufferins that I will be converting to 2 piece cues and am wondering if I should strip and refinish or leave them with the battle scars? Which is preferred by the customers? I have to clean the shafts and I don't mind doing the extra work if it pays for itself, but if it isn't required then I won't do it.
Thanks,
Dave

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
That old finish always feels kind of tacky to me. I prefer to refinish them, but that's just me.

Alan

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Kinda hard to install the joint screw if you don't take a taper pass.
That finish is also very thick.

Never mind the single steep angle/taper.
I throw away the shafts .

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMG_0396.JPG I have both Dave and I would agree. The finish does make a difference. They don’t feel the same at all. And without getting the calipers out I think the refinish one is smaller which feels better also.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would take a pass on the butt portion to make it have the same taper as my custom cues. Then make a shaft for it and finish the cue..

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Surprisingly, these have pretty straight shafts, but the ferrules are 12.2mm, so no room for a tweak if needed. The butts have some meat to them, but are not the same taper as my cues. I'll play with them later today.
Dave

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The real answer is. How much is your knowledge and time worth. What would you like to make on them?

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Retapering, refinish, new shaft, new joint. At some point it's going from simply making them into a 2-piece cue to a full-on conversion. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I'm sure it affects profit margin pretty heavily.