What are you doing when suddenly your deep concentration gets interrupted?

al-capool

Imagine all the people...
Silver Member
How can I get back that deep concentration, when it suddenly gets interrupted?

Dear Instructors and/or Pros
I'm playing Pool since 1982. At this time period I'm playing in the Swiss National League, category Seniors (40+)
I can honestly pretend that most of time, I'm playing quite good.
Some times I'm so deeply concentrated, that I'm playing, to work oneself up into a real frenzy! At these moments I don't see and hear anything else anymore, than my game. Everything else is just like switched off. My concentration is then at the top and I don't have to think anymore at what I should doing. All goes quite automatically. The aiming and potting, the resolving of problematic situations and the cueball is rolling and stopping on the next position, where and the way I want it! In these rare moments I'm just feeling great and I can run out easily 3-4 games in a row…BUT then suddenly my deep concentration gets interrupted! Most of times by such stupid thoughts ore reasons, which very often hasen't absolutety anything to do with the game or even Pool at all!

HOW CAN I KEEP HOLDING UP THAT DEEP CONCENTRATION AND STATE OF MIND?
WHEN THAT DEEP CONCETRATION GETS INTERRUPTED, HOW CAN I GET IT BACK AS FAST AS POSSIBLE?

I already thank you very much for your honest answers!
KR, Roberto

Last edited:

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if this will help but when I lose my concentration I need to actually get away from the table for a moment.
If possible I will excuse myself, go to the bathroom and wash my hand and face.
Doing this refreshes me quite a bit. As I walk back to the table I am able to get back my game face and regain my focus.
I hope you find what works for you.

al-capool

Imagine all the people...
Silver Member
I don't know if this will help but when I lose my concentration I need to actually get away from the table for a moment.
If possible I will excuse myself, go to the bathroom and wash my hand and face.
Doing this refreshes me quite a bit. As I walk back to the table I am able to get back my game face and regain my focus.
I hope you find what works for you.

Hy madhatter44,
I already tried that and other kinds of destractions many times. If it happen during a tournament, I take my time out. But even when I'm trying to get during these few minutes a bit distracted it just won't work. I tried diff. way to calm myself. Like you already said, for example refreshing my face with some cold water...going out of the Poolhall and breathing some fresh air...talking with someone about anything else than Pool...trinking a Pepsi...smoking a cigarette...etc.
But most of times, when I coming back to the table, I just can get back in that state of mind, that deep concetration!
IMO Mainly because I'm putting some preasure on myself like that!?
I still thank you very much for your good advice

Last edited:

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Concentration

I just had a lesson with Jerry Briesath and he gave me what would be a "swing thought" if it were golf. This helps me when I just can't seem to focus. He has me plan the shot, align and aim, etc. then forget everything except to take the cue straight through the ball 4-6 inches. By giving myself a single task I am able to forget everything and focus. If I miss, so what, "everybody misses" etc. So one thought. Did I do my job or not? Did I go straight through the ball 4-6" and if I did I succeeded if not I failed, regardless of the outcome.

This helps me concentrate and forget, not only pool thoughts like stance, grip, position and aim, but outside thoughts too. One thought.

This helps me I hope it helps you.