Cue length

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I was about to ask the same question. Can anybody elaborate on this?

Best to try one out for yourselves. I am 6' and like a 60" cue. If anyone in the DFW area wants to try one I have some you can try and afew for sale!

Larry

Pangit

Banned
I agree with everything except the using a glove means your lazy. I take excellent care of my equipment and I wash my hands regularly during play, but sometimes I still need to use a glove. ( during hot humid missouri days!) If your hands are sweating it doesn't matter how clean your cue is. Also using a glove will help keep you cue clean. A person could almost argue that your being lazy for not using one....... but I'm not that person!
Don't like the glove thing. It's a "crutch" in many ways. You can't "feel" the cue. Not to mention the non-heterosexual factor. Here in the PI "IF" U pull out a "glove"--game on! Alcono uses one, other than that....tis, tis tis.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I do think it is important that the shaft and butt be the same length, 32"/32" in my case.

Not wanting to argue, but imo, it is not important that the shaft and butt be the same length. I, and others I know, use a 31" butt with a 29" shaft . My cue hits and feels just fine to me (and to the others as well, I'm sure). Balance is fine, hit is fine, length is PERFECT. FWIW, there are some on this site that believe any shaft over 30" in length tends to be a bit whippy (I am not one of those people). In cues, likes and dislikes for every individuals tastes are as numerous as the stars in the sky.

Maniac

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Don't like the glove thing. It's a "crutch" in many ways. You can't "feel" the cue. Not to mention the non-heterosexual factor. Here in the PI "IF" U pull out a "glove"--game on! Alcono uses one, other than that....tis, tis tis.

You do loose some feel, no arguing that. But if your hand is sticking because of sweat I would rather loose some feel than not have a smooth stroke. I dont use a glove often but I will when I need to. As far as the non- hetero thing goes all I can say to those people is grow up and be a leader not a follower.

I'm more worried about winning and playing my best than what others think about how I look.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a 60inch have done since 2006.Its great for not using the bridge too often.it is only 2 inches added though,if you use something for long enough you can get use to it, but its more about what feels right for you! Order one and see:smile:

It Can also be tricky to find a case to fit a cue with 30 inch plus pin/joint protectors:(

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I use a 60inch have done since 2006.Its great for not using the bridge too often.it is only 2 inches added though,if you use something for long enough you can get use to it, but its more about what feels right for you! Order one and see:smile:

It Can also be tricky to find a case to fit a cue with 30 inch plus pin/joint protectors:(

When I switched to a 60" cue it just felt natural. No more adjusting my grip to a shorter cue. Now I have a natural pendulum swing without having my grip hand on the bumper!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wilt had a 72" GinaCue... No bridge needed huh?

Attachments

• wilt-chamberlain-50703523.jpg
    wilt-chamberlain-50703523.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I switched to a 60" cue it just felt natural. No more adjusting my grip to a shorter cue. Now I have a natural pendulum swing without having my grip hand on the bumper!

Same here.though I just grip further up on my wrapless than I would have. When you stretch there is more cue in your hand:smile: makes it much easier for the long shots.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member

I agree. When I first tried a longer cue. It was natural. I think for years I was adjusting to the 58" cues I was playing with

Larry

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
What are the advantages or disadvantages of 58" vs 60" cues? I'm thinking of buying a longer cue because I don't stretch and stay on balance like I used to.

I like my current set-up. The cue was originally 60" (30" handle and 30" shaft). I put a 29" shaft on it and like it a lot better. There's less flex in the shaft, so it's more consistent.

The other thing to cionsider is just getting a cue extension for those stretch shots. They work great with just a little practice.

Chris

brophog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P.S.
keep your equipment clean and take care of it, a glove is just being lazy for doing that. This is an extension of YOU, YOU paid good money for it and expect it to come thru for YOU in the clutch, so why not treat the dame thing with some respect.

P.S. I hope whatever remaining posts you have on this site are far less judgmental than this one. Think before you type.

The proper question here is not why somebody would want to use a 60" cue, but why the 'standard' size hasn't properly kept up with the times.

Last edited:

72Beetle

The first cue I had made for me was a 60" Black Boar back when he started making cues. I am 6'7" and even a 60" felt short to me, I like my backhand on the wrap not on the very back of the cue. I think you shoot what feels good to you, My reach dictates I use one at least 60". When I shoot a 58" I feel like I am trying to shoot up against the wall on the rail, chocked up taking short strokes, not very comfortable.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dirtydog48...Wow! You're ONLY 6'2"? I would have guessed closer to 6'5", when we met! LOL I definitely noticed the 64" cue, though! Hope things are going well at your room!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Tennis players, and baseball players use clubs, rackets, and bats of lengths to match their size. Can you imagine a 6'2" golfer using clubs made for a 5'2" player? I am 6'2" and have used a 64" cue for years. I do think it is important that the shaft and butt be the same length, 32"/32" in my case.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
brophog...Actually I think it has. 90+% of poolplayers will play just fine with a 58" cue...even people over 6' tall. As long as you don't mind holding the cue on the butt sleeve (and there's no reason not to), you don't HAVE to have a longer cue. Now somebody 6'5" or taller may benefit from 60" or longer...but I still say it's a matter of preference, rather than performance. JMO

Personally, as an instructor, I find more people who don't know where the correct place to hold their cue is (for them), than people who are holding in the proper place, in relation to their bridge length.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

The proper question here is not why somebody would want to use a 60" cue, but why the 'standard' size hasn't properly kept up with the times.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pangit...You need to preface these types of posts with "In my opinion", because in the "real world" you don't what the heck you're talking about. There are many top pros who use a glove, and many more who keep a glove in their case, to use if they happen to be in a very humid environment. I don't agree that you "can't feel the cue", and the "non-heterosexual" remark is so outdated, and homophobic as to be ridiculous, and laughable. So...are you calling Alcano "gay" too? Not that it matters, but if you're a world champion, you can use any equipment you want to...without any kind of stereotyping. Grow up, sir!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P.S. I hope whatever remaining posts you have on this site are far less judgmental than this one. Think before you type.

I can say the same to you sir, and for that that i call you an idiot. I would read a few more post before approaching someone, or at least trying to read the one that you are commenting on properly. I highlighted two seperate point/opinions in my first post and then tried to clear up a few things in a later.

You sir stike me as one of those players that like to pick up the chalk when it's not even your turn at the table. How's that for judgmental

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 6'3" and have on 59.5" cue that I play with and I have one on order. I agree with the comments about how it feels "natural". It feels like it was made for me. I know that weight and balance point should be all that matter, but I can tell that the cue extends past my hand rather than having everything in the cue be in front when I'm holding on the butt cap of a 58". I find it easier to know that I am drawing the cue straight.

The potential disadvantage is that the vast majority of players prefer 58". Reselling a 60" cue is more difficult. If you're going to get one, I would advise keeping the design simple and classic. The more creative you get in the design, the more difficult it will be to find a buyer later.

Raider510

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, I wish someone would come up to me and say something asinine about my use of a glove, they would have more than just a "game on". FWIW, my cue is pretty damned clean, i like the consistency of the glove, dont have to worry about chalk getting it dirty and throwing off my stroke during the game.

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
Another fan of the 60" here... Love the feel of the longer cue. More natural feeling? Absolutely... I'll still shoot with a 58 and continue to buy them...but my preference is the longer combo when it comes time to play.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Durbin Cues

As for custom fitting cues, I do it all the time. This first started 12+ years ago when making a cue for Mark Wilson. Mark is about 6'3" and has long arms. Again, as others have said, when the tip is at the cue ball the arm needs to be straight up and down, this is not possible for long armed players and standard cues. Marks cue is 61" and is split equally in 30.5" parts and he still uses a porper case and it works fine without joint caps. Most of the new quality cases will accept the longer cues with caps. I have made custom length cues for Mark for a long time, and offer his own line called Advanced Accuracy Cues. I stock 58, 59, 60, and 61" cues at most times and others and customs can be ordered. By the way, they all cost the same. On the other side, the cues I make for James Baraks are 1/2" shorter than standard. It is a timing thing for him. You really need to consider the cues length to match your frame, and also the way it feels to determine exactly which is for you. Mark travels around alot teaching, and has an assortment with him if you can get with him you can try them all instead of spending money on something you are not sure of. You can find Mark at www.playgreatpool.com .