Who initiated propeller cue inlays?

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was admiring the Tascarella post which made me wonder if "propeller" inlays had any basis in actual airplane propellers? If not, then was there any obvious inspiration, and who was the first guy to use them?

Occasional simple sneaky pete builder here.
Never seem to have any good ideas for "interesting" designs like many on AZ come up with. But it occurred to me that an airplane motif cue might have some merit.

smt

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I was admiring the Tascarella post which made me wonder if "propeller" inlays had any basis in actual airplane propellers? If not, then was there any obvious inspiration, and who was the first guy to use them?

Never seem to have any good ideas for "interesting" designs like many on AZ come up with. But it occurred to me that an airplane motif cue might have some merit.

smt

Or a boat propeller....used for fishin'.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or a boat propeller....used for fishin'

problem being that the "propellers" on cues are wrong aspect ratio and thrust distribution shape for water propulsion. :smile:

Of course lots of people who use influences from trades they are only peripherally familiar with get the details wrong. Or use image approximations that are easier to produce. So you could be right.

smt

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member

smt

I have no idea by who or why propeller's were added to cues but....
Randy Mobley's "Red Baron" cue always comes to mind when I see propeller cues.

2020-09-13 11.07.57.jpg

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I believe Gus Szamboti was the first cue maker to use them but I've seen a very similar inlay used in early 20th century banjo fret boards... Maybe thats where the inspiration cam from

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy Mobley's "Red Baron" cue always comes to mind when I see propeller cues.

Nice!

Interesting about fretboards on banjos.
Ruff Alley Banjo Works owner/hollowphonic designer is a close friend.
http://www.ruffalley.com/
He's into the old stuff. Will ask him about the influences.

Thanks!
smt

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe Gus Szamboti was the first cue maker to use them but I've seen a very similar inlay used in early 20th century banjo fret boards... Maybe thats where the inspiration cam from

Yes,
I recall hearing about Gus playing the banjo-
while the paint was drying on some of the cues he was making :grin-square:
just kidding-
" I been looking at cues from a lot of makers and eras over the years,
Pretty certain Gus Szamboti started with the propellers-
really cool , unique designs he came up with....
Like the barbell inlays he also occasionally put in"

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Yes,
I recall hearing about Gus playing the banjo-
while the paint was drying on some of the cues he was making :grin-square:
just kidding-
" I been looking at cues from a lot of makers and eras over the years,
Pretty certain Gus Szamboti started with the propellers-
really cool , unique designs he came up with....
Like the barbell inlays he also occasionally put in"

I'm pretty sure barbell inlays were done before Gus. At least in the 60's by Ernie. IMHO, Gus did create some of the best inlay layouts ever. Relatively simple, not always "lining up", but thats what made his cues look so good imo. Whether he tried to be an artist or not it didn't matter. I think most think he was a darn good one regardless.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think i solved the Q & may have overloaded my interest.
Was hoping for aviation connection, but as several pointed out, it seems to have started with banjos. My guy confirmed that they were "common around the turn of the (19th-20th) c". or WTTE.

Discovered there are also companies you can just buy them

https://www.ebay.com/p/1059624518

Refers to "Gibson style", too.

From catalogs it appears that the notched diamond probably started with banjos, too.

Banjo builders may be crazier than cue-makers with inlays, it appears.
There's a whole sub-industry with some very complex stuff in MOP and other materials. "Theme builders" and all.

http://www.romerobanjos.com/inlay

I'll stop there, never saw cues using some of the "obvious" cool catalog items, but maybe someone is.

Or, maybe it was just this:

20091221__banjo3.jpg

smt

Last edited: