ferrule material?

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I've had a custom cue with an elforyn ferrule, for a little over a year. the ferrule developed a couple of cracks in it. The ferrule on my matching shaft looks fine.
what type of ferrule material would you recommend or do you think it might have cracked due to a mistake in instalation?
the ferrule is 1" long, non threaded.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a custom cue with an elforyn ferrule, for a little over a year. the ferrule developed a couple of cracks in it. The ferrule on my matching shaft looks fine.
what type of ferrule material would you recommend or do you think it might have cracked due to a mistake in instalation?
the ferrule is 1" long, non threaded.

If you like the way Elforyn performs, stay with it.
The second part of your question, doesn't have an answer.
Nor does it deserve one. How could it.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The second part of your question, doesn't have an answer.
Nor does it deserve one. How could it.

Michael - you are an expert and maybe you have inside info on who made it as being another pro who would only do a faultless install. But as a general comment, that was a little brusque.

Is the tenon centered? (as opposed to ferule being thin on one side fat on the other)
Was the fit a "good" fit - thin glueline and no voids?
How thin are the ferule walls? IOW, what is the tenon dia vs the OD of the ferule?

As another possibility even if the ferule was centered as built, it might have been user induced if you ever had the shaft reduced. Only one of mine that cracked was due to that. I drill most shafts. When a customer later requested an additional pro-taper shaft with slightly reduced dia, i told him i would make one but it might take a while. He went to a tournament and had one of the set-up mechanics there reduce the existing shaft. Actually, even then the thin-wall capped ferule survived, but a couple months later the hollow shaft cracked - it was turned slightly off center, and of course thinner than my design accounted for.

smt

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael - you are an expert and maybe you have inside info on who made it as being another pro who would only do a faultless install. But as a general comment, that was a little brusque.

Is the tenon centered? (as opposed to ferule being thin on one side fat on the other)
Was the fit a "good" fit - thin glueline and no voids?
How thin are the ferule walls? IOW, what is the tenon dia vs the OD of the ferule?

As another possibility even if the ferule was centered as built, it might have been user induced if you ever had the shaft reduced. Only one of mine that cracked was due to that. I drill most shafts. When a customer later requested an additional pro-taper shaft with slightly reduced dia, i told him i would make one but it might take a while. He went to a tournament and had one of the set-up mechanics there reduce the existing shaft. Actually, even then the thin-wall capped ferule survived, but a couple months later the hollow shaft cracked - it was turned slightly off center, and of course thinner than my design accounted for.

smt

The answer is straight to the point. I'd rather tell people the truth rather than sugar coat it. It is not my job to condemn someone else's work. That's between the customer and the Cue maker. I am a Cue maker first and a Forum member 2nd. I've witnessed Cue makers (Top names) put others under the bus. It's BULLSHIT at best.

Last edited:

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
First off, Thank you for the responses.
i understand that you can't critique the installation/build without seeing it, just thought since one ferrule cracked and the other didn't it could be a installation error. could be a bad piece of elforyn...
May be a mute point, I've been thinking about getting a performance shaft, this might make the decision a little easier. thanks again.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i understand that you can't critique the installation/build without seeing it, just thought since one ferrule cracked and the other didn't it could be a installation error. could be a bad piece of elforyn...
May be a mute point, I've been thinking about getting a performance shaft, this might make the decision a little easier. thanks again.

Thank you for understanding. There's more to Cue making than just building a cue.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you were happy with it then have a new elforyn ferrule put on but have it capped and threaded so it will be less likely to crack.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not likely a bad piece of Elforyn, and like Mike said, not good to criticize work that isn't in hand. Chances are if a guy can build a nice cue, he will know how to install a ferrule correctly. There are many factors that can cause a ferrule to fail. Under normal conditions, Elforyn will withstand breaking. Maybe somehow conditions were no longer normal, or the previous owner has a ball smasher of a break stroke, breaking with a playing cue. Also, like you said, the player may have had the shaft taken down, or constant sanding from excessive cleaning (excessive/poor maintenance) may have taken it down.
Elforyn is a good material for ferrules. If hat is what was on it, probably replace it with same. Assessment of tenon can be done at the same time.
Like Cueman said, capped and threaded ferrule instead of tube will help, also a tip pad.