Advice on Picking a Pool Table

Whopper

Registered
I was hoping to get some guidance from the folks here that have a lot more experience than I do. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions in advance and hope to return the favor.

I have a second floor room in North Florida that I plan to make a billiard room. The area of the room that will hold the pool table is 15' 3" by 17' 9". There is also a separate cutout for a small bar area not included in these dimensions.

I have played pool recreationally since i was young and play pretty well naturally, but I am looking to step it up a bit and play regularly and join a local league with the goal of becoming a very good pool player (hopefully) like my father.

My budget for the pool table is approximately $3,000 and I have the money set aside to pay cash when the right table comes along. I have looked at what I can get new in this price range (eg Brunswick Contender series or an Olehausen Americana 4' x 8') and I'm not convinced that is the best way to spend the money. My father recommends a Diamond table but I can't afford a new one.

My question for the group is what is the best approach in spending approximately $3,000 on a pool table (new or used). Also, what size table would you recommend for this space?

I appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thanks!

Chris

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi In my area there are some giveaway prices on table on Craigs list . People buy tables and move them into a rental , then when they move , no place in the new place to put the table . Hence the low prices . I'd make sure I got a 3 pc. slate , so I could getter up stairs . GL Jim

Bucknut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 2 cents

Being as that is what I do in selling home tables this is my suggestion. I would make sure it is a 3 piece slate table, preferably 1". A lot of people on here are going to tell you to get a Diamond. While I like the Diamond tables the majority are 1 piece slate tables. Our company won't touch a 1 piece slate table due to the shear size and weight it makes it difficult going up and down stairs, chances of someone getting hurt is far greater. As for a good home table that will last you can't go wrong with most Olhausen tables or a Brunswick table. The Brunswick Contender is their entry level table that would generally have veneers and an entry level cushion. These tables will say Contender on the name plate. The Olhausen tables will say Accu-Fast on the name plate if it has their top of the line cushion. Good luck with your purchase. Beware on used tables. There are some good deals out there, however a lot of people think they should get what they paid. Remember at least in our area to move a table is $350 and if you want it recoverd add a couple hundred more.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would search out an 8' Gold Crown. You can't go wrong with a Gold Crown.

Bucknut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was hoping to get some guidance from the folks here that have a lot more experience than I do. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions in advance and hope to return the favor.

I have a second floor room in North Florida that I plan to make a billiard room. The area of the room that will hold the pool table is 15' 3" by 17' 9". There is also a separate cutout for a small bar area not included in these dimensions.

I have played pool recreationally since i was young and play pretty well naturally, but I am looking to step it up a bit and play regularly and join a local league with the goal of becoming a very good pool player (hopefully) like my father.

My budget for the pool table is approximately $3,000 and I have the money set aside to pay cash when the right table comes along. I have looked at what I can get new in this price range (eg Brunswick Contender series or an Olehausen Americana 4' x 8') and I'm not convinced that is the best way to spend the money. My father recommends a Diamond table but I can't afford a new one.

My question for the group is what is the best approach in spending approximately $3,000 on a pool table (new or used). Also, what size table would you recommend for this space?

Chris

I would get the Americana. It's solid wood with a lifetime warranty on everything on the table vs veneers and 5 yr on cushions. For an 8' table industry recommends 13'6" x 17'. I say add a foot each way so you have enough clearance. The Ameicana or the Belmont is the best buy from Olhausen for the money in my opinion.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member

Chris

What part of the country do you live...my boss is gonna sell his 8' Brunswick ...which he paid 5k for just a few years ago...he doesn't really play, and it's been covered up with a custom cover...champ cloth...table is like new and he will sell it for 2250, myrtle beach area...might be worth transporting at that price. It comes out of a smoke free million dollar house-it's clean as a whistle.
Ps, I think you could go 8' or 7' in that space. Diamond is a great table in a bar, but not as attractive or easy to move as a 3 pc slate, as mentioned earlier. Don't go diamond for the home table even tho they are awesome tables.

EagleMan

Banned

Chris

First...go here to get an excellent idea about pool table room sizes.

http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/helpful_information/room_size_requirements.html

Next GO USED. You are likely to save a bunch of money.

The owner won't want the table disassembled until it is sold. But that means you can't inspect the slate...cushions...bracing, so there is a little bit of a pig in a poke. But you should be able to feel for slate and cushion imperfections.

Basically, if you PLAY on it...for AT LEAST a half hour...and everything seems to be OK...it probably is.

Or, if you find one you really like, you could give the owner a REFUNDABLE deposit and ask a table mechanic to take a look at the table for you. If that person is going to get the $$$ for tear down, moving and set up at your place, then I would be surprised if you can't get someone to check out a table for you...possibly without charge or $100.00 TOPS.

I am partial to Diamond tables but I owned and liked an Olhausen too. Depending on how big a town you live in (near) will make a BIG difference in the selection of used talbes.

But I would just GUESS that you would tend to save a grand or more off the new price...BUT you won't get new cloth...or even the kind of cloth you will want. AVOID nap cloth....IMHO.

EagleMan

PS: I'm not sure Diamond makes an 8 ft. table.

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
The room size will hold a 9' table. If your going to take the game seriously I would opt for a Diamond or a Gold Crown. An older Diamond Professional has a 3 Peice Slate, as do Gold Crowns. A Diamond Pro Am old or new for that matter comes with the 1 peice slate I would not let the 1 peice slate deter me if I found one somebody will move and assemble the table.

What part of the house is the table going to be placed. Unless it's going in a Family Room or Living Room I could'nt care less whether it was a Funiture Style Table or not.

My first table was a Diamond Professional Model. So I'm a little biased, but you can't go wrong with a Gold Crown either.

Black Cat :cool:

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond Pro Am 7ft

I think you will want 5ft around the table to play comfortably. With those dimensions a 7ft would be ideal.

The best 7fts are Diamonds IMO. You only have to move the table once, so don't worry about the one piece slate. You can usually find used Diamond Smart tables (coin-op) around that price. A used Pro Am model (minus coin-op) will be a bit less.

These tables hold their value very well and are a quick sell. In 5 years it will probably be worth exactly the same. I have a 7ft Pro Am, and cant imagine anybody making a better players table. I plan on having it for a lifetime.

Just make sure you will have enough room if you go for an 8ft, I cant stand playing when you hit something on your backstroke!
Good luck.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

Chris

I would choose an 8 footer for the space you have to work with.

This link may be helpful in determining size requirements. http://www.billiards.com/article/pool-table-room-size There's no way I would put a 9 foot table in a room that small but that's just me. I play with 60 inch cues and want more than 5 feet of clearance around the table.

I chose a Brunswick for my home and I'm very happy with it. I personally can't stand the way Olhausen cuts their pockets. Remember the table you choose will be in your home. Buy something that will work in your home and that YOU will like. While I like how Diamond Tables play, their design and style did not match with the decor of our home.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
room size

Chris

You need 6 ft min all the way around the table is best.

MMike

LucasBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7 ft is the only size you can fit without any limitations. Any bigger and you will need either a short stick or have to jack up on shots on or near the rails at either end of the table, which becomes very annoying very fast. Go with a 7 ft and enjoy the table.

Second, as far as the table is concerned I'd definitely recommend used over new. More bang for your buck. Olhausen, Brunswick, and Connelly are brands I would look for. Diamonds are nice but if your budget is $3000 you'll be hard pressed to find one and be able to have it moved and setup for that. You could probably find a used table in excellent shape for $1000 or less and have it moved and setup for $3-500. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in Palm Coast and I am looking for a 9 foot table, preferably Gold Crown.

Let me know if you come across any in your search.

Also, personally I say buy used. I can't understand why people don't consider used first actually.

Perhaps we should talk since we are in the same region? Maybe we can help each other search?

I haven't even talked to a mechanic or mover yet. There is a lot I don't know.

:)

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
With the dimensions that you have provided I believe the 4 x 8 table is the right way to go.

You can possibly get close to your budget on a used diamond, however, it would have to be a lucky find and on top of that there will be the moving and reinstall / cloth expenses to consider. There will be more 9 foot used tables avail as compared to used 8 footers in most brands so keep this in mind.

If it were me, I'd be targeting a used Gold Crown 8 footer and looking here on az wanted for sale is always a good bet as well as craigslist and any other local penny saver type publications.

These tables are built for commercial duty and as long as you find one that has not been abused for it's life, it should offer great play for a lifetime.

Another brand I would highly recommend is Gandy.

And one of the most important considerations in achieving a good result would be finding a *qualified* table mechanic to do the work. The right guy will have your table playing superbly and for a long time. And, btw, you can start a separate thread on here now asking for names of good table mechanics in your area and they may actually be a good resource to put you on to a good table.

I don't know where in North Florida you are but one of the best mechanics in the country is based in Atlanta his name is mark gregory (az member perfectpocketz). You can pm him on here and see if he works in your area or if not, whether he may be able to recommend someone in your area. Also, he may know of an 8-footer.

The used Brunswicks or Gandy 8's fair price range would be from approx $700 on the low side to $2200. Pool tables are like pianos, when people are done with them, there's deals to be had. :wink:

I would not recommend Olhausen tables for a few reasons, most prominently, funny (not in a Joe Pesce "what am I here to make you laugh" kind of a way) pocket cuts.

Good luck with your search and if you were to team up with Chop Doc, as he suggested, you would def have a very good guy as a search mate. :thumbup:

Let us know how you make out.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't go wrong with any of the tables mentioned such as Connolly, Brunswick, Diamond, and Olhausen will do you just fine. Olhausen and Connoly wil probably be in your price range though, as other have mentioned you need to have extra money for incedntals in moving and setting up your table.
Check your windows in the room you will be using, if they are double hung then the panes can be removed and the slate should fit through the opening, if you find a table with a 1 piece slate

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck with your search and if you were to team up with Chop Doc, as he suggested, you would def have a very good guy as a search mate. :thumbup:

Let us know how you make out.

best,
brian kc

Thanks-

That looks like a lot of good advice.

Since he is probably looking for 8 foot and I am looking for 9 foot we can look together without stepping on each other's toes.

I did talk to an AZBer about one for sale South of here, a GCI, but I have to find a mechanic and look into getting it moved. He gave me the contact of a mechanic local to him but I have not called yet.

One issue is the table is disassembled, no pics, and I can't get down there to check it out.

Also, I am not in a hurry and need to learn more first.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I agree that the room is the right size for a 4' x 8' table. You must take into account whether or not you are going to have poolroom style furniture in the room or not. If the room is going to be devoid of anything BUT the table, you "could" get away with a nine-footer (it'd be a stretch though).

Here's what I did before I purchased my home table: I got the OUTSIDE dimensions of both a nine-foot table and an eight-foot table. I got blue painters tape and made an outline on the floor of my room of both sizes to kind of get a feel not only where I exactly wanted the table centered, but also how much room there would be on the sides/ends for cue "swing". I made my determination based on the fact that I was going to put high tables and spectator chairs in the room.

My room is 20' x 15 1/2' and I went with a 4' x8' table (the standard 4 x 8, not the oversized 8). The room is almost too small for the table and furniture and I I ever replace the table, I will go with a 7-footer.

Know this: When giving advice on what size table to get, some people answer with their hearts and not their heads. I strongly advise you to NOT get a table that is too big for the room.

Happy shopping!!!

Maniac

Last edited:

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As has been mentioned a few times before Olhausens have strangely cut
pockets. I play on them in the winter and definately would never buy one.
My table at home is an 8' Brunswick Anniversary, plays great.

Whopper

Registered
Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and suggestions.... The information is so helpful.

8onthebreak - I live in north Florida - Jacksonville.

Chopdoc - I will let u know if I come across a 9 footer. I haven't talked to a mechanic yet either, but I hope to get in touch with one soon using some of the groups suggestions. I'll be glad to share any info! Let me know what is the best way to reach you.

Kicken chicken- thanks for the suggestion on the mechanic. I'm in Jacksonville so not that far off from Atlanta. For buying used the mechanic was one of my main concerns so finding a good one will really help a lot!

Thanks again to all. I'm likely to give the used market a try for a bit with the fallback of buying new if I can't find something to fit for me focusing on 4'x 8' I will circle back with more info as I move ahead.

THANK YOU

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try 'Searchtempest' search engine of Craigslist offerings. Put in a search radius miles choice to adjust your search range. Might get lucky. Also search 'pool table' generically-sometimes sleeper well regarded tables are listed.

Consider an 8 foot Gibson(Brunswick)-lines similar to Anniversary. I think Jay Helfert has posted that he had one-and liked it.(9 foot?)

Good luck in the search