Diamond tables (Black phenolic vs. Dymondwood)

amicenheimer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As many of you are surely aware, the main Dymondwood factor recently had a fire, making Dymondwood incredibly tough to get. With that being said, Diamond is moving to a black phenolic resin table until Dymondwood is steadily available again. Has anyone played on one of these new tables? Do they play as well as the Dymondwood tables or should I without a doubt wait until they produce the Dymondwood tables again?

Thanks!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
As many of you are surely aware, the main Dymondwood factor recently had a fire, making Dymondwood incredibly tough to get. With that being said, Diamond is moving to a black phenolic resin table until Dymondwood is steadily available again. Has anyone played on one of these new tables? Do they play as well as the Dymondwood tables or should I without a doubt wait until they produce the Dymondwood tables again?

Thanks!!

Dymondwood is not what makes the Diamond tables play great or bad, it's just the finish of the rails. Diamond is actually happy with the change to a new rail cap finish material, so there's no loss of quality in production, I personally think it's an improvement over the use of Dymondwood.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any source for pictures of the new look? I'm having trouble imagining what this looks like.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And you can still get real wood if you don't mind a few dimples accumulating on the rail caps over time.
For a home table that you actually intend to take care of, I think that anything more than real wood is overkill. Pool rooms are much rougher on a table, so I think that the dymondwood or resin rails make sense there. Another consideration is the corner shape; I know that when I bought my table, they would only do rounded corners with real wood since dymondwood was so hard on tools. I'm not sure if that is the case with the new material or not. If you are buying a new Diamond table for home use, my recommendation would be to put the money that you would spend on upgraded rails into upgrading the wood from the standard oak.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the turning stone stream, the table is flat black. I'm taking it this is what diamond makes now, the black phenolic. Not sure I like it, looks like the Brunswick tv models of last decade.

I'll be headed there tonight to see them in person, maybe they look better than the stream.

amicenheimer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the turning stone stream, the table is flat black. I'm taking it this is what diamond makes now, the black phenolic. Not sure I like it, looks like the Brunswick tv models of last decade.

I'll be headed there tonight to see them in person, maybe they look better than the stream.

If you are able, would you mind taking some pics and posting?

Thanks!

Bucknut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We just recently became a Diamond dealer and got one of the new tables on the show floor. The main difference I can see is it is more of a solid black whereas the older Dymond wood was a smoke color. Personally like the smoke color, but the black is nice as well. Like they said it has no effect on the play of the table.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
In the future I hope that DIamond can offer the Dymondwood rails as well as their new material. I love the way the veneer Dymondwood rails look when they are polished, there are no two alike.

Moonraker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As of a 2-3 weeks ago, Donny at West State Billiards in California had the last order of 16 Dymondwood tables from Diamond. I bought one and it's being delivered tomorrow. Not sure if he has any left, but if you want one, he might still have some available.

West State Billiards
1225 East Burton Street, Fullerton, CA 92831
(714) 943-7137

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know how Gabriels Dianite rails compare to Diamond's Dymondwood and black phenolic?

To quote Gabriels
The top of the line version is finished with Dianite rails, which are impervious to dents, scratches

The tables are a dull black at TS. Sort of like an eggshell gloss interior paint. If they can get a solid black that has an enamel type look it would look better. Like how a black GC V looks.

shayne87

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know how Gabriels Dianite rails compare to Diamond's Dymondwood and black phenolic?

To quote Gabriels
The top of the line version is finished with Dianite rails, which are impervious to dents, scratches

Same thing.

ososlow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the future I hope that DIamond can offer the Dymondwood rails as well as their new material. I love the way the veneer Dymondwood rails look when they are polished, there are no two alike.

Agreed! I prefer the Dymondwood look. The tables at Turning Stone look dull.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tables are a dull black at TS. Sort of like an eggshell gloss interior paint. If they can get a solid black that has an enamel type look it would look better. Like how a black GC V looks.

Even worse is they have the lights to match. The diamond wood look in Brown or charcoal was an iconic look and grabbed the eye especially if the light matches.

Don't get me wrong the tables still are symmetrically perfect and look like a dream to play on but cosmetically, I would rather have a used diamond wood table or wait for the new models when they get diamond wood back. I'd pass on the flat black.