Pressed triangle tips

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same here. Someone report on how they play once pressed please. Sounds like a break tip to me.

Triangle tips are actually medium hard.
I like a pressed Triangle single layer tip.
I have four shafts that are exactly the same, diameter, length
of taper, hard pressed triangles.
I rotate them.
Play the same shaft every fourth session.

Hard pressed Triangles don't need much maintenance but when shaping them
you never have to worry about a layer coming off.
They do not need replacing often.
They rarely mushroom.
They are about a buck apiece.

Yeah, I'm old school.
Keep it simple stupid.

Maple shafts.

A lights out player can take a stick off the wall
and beat everyone in the room.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cueman, what is the difference between single and double pressed?

Could you use other tips for a comparison, pls.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cueman, what is the difference between single and double pressed?

Could you use other tips for a comparison, pls.

Single pressed is how they are in the box. Double pressed is when we press them again. Triangles are already harder on the outside edge than in the middle. So if you don't press the middle down a little it will happen naturally while playing and cause the tip to mushroom. So pressing the middle down does not change the way the tip plays much in the long run. It just eliminates the break in period and eliminates having to re-trim the mushroom off after it naturally breaks in.

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago I had a cue repair man put on new tips on both of the shafts on my Scruggs cue. He encouraged me to let him put on pressed Triangle tips with the incentive that they shouldn't ever mushroom. Sure enough I played every day for two years with those tips, alternating shafts to keep the wear even, and they never did mushroom. They got used anywhere between 2 and 8 hours a day. They were easy to maintain and they didn't seem to get much harder as they aged.

There is currently a problem with the quality control on the Triangle tips and there has been for some years now. Many of the tips coming out of the box are what I'll call mushy and even after pressing they provide a soft feeling hit and they seem to break down much faster than the good tips. There is a discussion about this in the cue maker's forum. Apparently Tweeten is aware of the problem and they are working to rectify it. Until then the method that some use to determine the tips worth using is to place them in a container of water. If they sink they are the good ones, if they float you should discard them.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Years ago I had a cue repair man put on new tips on both of the shafts on my Scruggs cue. He encouraged me to let him put on pressed Triangle tips with the incentive that they shouldn't ever mushroom. Sure enough I played every day for two years with those tips, alternating shafts to keep the wear even, and they never did mushroom. They got used anywhere between 2 and 8 hours a day. They were easy to maintain and they didn't seem to get much harder as they aged.

There is currently a problem with the quality control on the Triangle tips and there has been for some years now. Many of the tips coming out of the box are what I'll call mushy and even after pressing they provide a soft feeling hit and they seem to break down much faster than the good tips. There is a discussion about this in the cue maker's forum. Apparently Tweeten is aware of the problem and they are working to rectify it. Until then the method that some use to determine the tips worth using is to place them in a container of water. If they sink they are the good ones, if they float you should discard them.

The last batch of Triangles were very good quality. Hopefully they stay that. Way.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Triangle tips are actually medium hard.
I like a pressed Triangle single layer tip.
I have four shafts that are exactly the same, diameter, length
of taper, hard pressed triangles.
I rotate them.
Play the same shaft every fourth session.

Hard pressed Triangles don't need much maintenance but when shaping them
you never have to worry about a layer coming off.
They do not need replacing often.
They rarely mushroom.
They are about a buck apiece.

Yeah, I'm old school.
Keep it simple stupid.

Maple shafts.

A lights out player can take a stick off the wall
and beat everyone in the room.

Lose the ferrule and really feel how they play

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Triangle tips but they have become a hit or miss tip. I had some done like a milk dud and they are still hit or miss. The biggest problem is trying to use the entire hyde instead of the consistent part of the hyde. The triangles on the right side of the picture turn to a sponge when you start working it.

IMG_20190704_115043.jpg
IMG_20190523_013138.jpg

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love Triangle tips but they have become a hit or miss tip. I had some done like a milk dud and they are still hit or miss. The biggest problem is trying to use the entire hyde instead of the consistent part of the hyde. The triangles on the right side of the picture turn to a sponge when you start working it.

View attachment 548844
View attachment 548845

The new ones I just got look like the ones on the left. Nice grey/blue color instead of the brownish. Hopefully they will be like this from now on.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The new ones I just got look like the ones on the left. Nice grey/blue color instead of the brownish. Hopefully they will be like this from now on.

You won't know til you start sanding the bottoms. The two tips I showed the bottoms on came from the same boxes
What I actually got for good useable tips. NOT GOOD.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Philly,
I too prefer single layer tips. I switched to dawg duds a few years ago. I was asking because I have only heard of pressing triangles from perhaps three people until now. Obviously, the elk masters have always been the go-tos for duds because they play so much better after being pressed. I have heard members speak highly of pressed lepros too, but others have had bad luck with them.
The dawg duds typically mushroom on me once, after maybe 50-100 hrs of play. Once trimmed they seem consistent to the end.

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Michael how do these look to you:

Group 1...From Seyberts 2 months ago

picture.php

Group 2 From Seyberts 2 years ago

picture.php

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Philly,
I too prefer single layer tips. I switched to dawg duds a few years ago. I was asking because I have only heard of pressing triangles from perhaps three people until now. Obviously, the elk masters have always been the go-tos for duds because they play so much better after being pressed. I have heard members speak highly of pressed lepros too, but others have had bad luck with them.
The dawg duds typically mushroom on me once, after maybe 50-100 hrs of play. Once trimmed they seem consistent to the end.

Correction.
One of my shafts has a milk dud on it. Forgot about it.
Thanks BlackBalled.
Can't tell the difference between my shafts with
hard pressed triangles and the milk dud.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you still selling these tips? Thank you
I sold some last year and pressed them when this thread was new. But I feel it is a waste of money to pay me a dollar a piece to press your tips when it is easy to do yourself.

kingman33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sold some last year and pressed them when this thread was new. But I feel it is a waste of money to pay me a dollar a piece to press your tips when it is easy to do yourself.
Could you suggest a good brand or maker for a tip press? Thank you