Favorite Key Ball Pattern

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
your #2 is a classic.

i like this...i can get this sequence a lot, and the cb coming off the rail is so easy to the 2,,,there always seems to be a setup ball in that area at the top of the rack that is difficult to get to if you're looking for a third ball sequence like your example #2,,,there's always a ball at the bottom rail,,,and there's plenty room for error,,,,,,,,,,and it's different(i like that:) )

in and of itself, the 1 at the bottom rail is a good general setup ball for all occasions.

Attachments

• 222222.jpg
    222222.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 523

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
lfigueroa said:
So the break shot thing made me wonder about your favorite key ball sequence. I use to like something like this:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AXtE1BYQC4CKHh1PPbd@
http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AAsd4BTjy4CKHh3PLtI@
In these two situations, the order 2-1-3 is not bad either. I prefer it for the first pattern.

For Bruin70's pattern, I'd much rather have the one ball on the side cushion a diamond and a half from the corner so that the roll of the cue ball is more parallel to the final line rather than across it. Also for this pattern, if the 2 ball is a little farther up the table, I like the two-rail draw shot to get to it, since it produces an "along, not across shape" result.

One flexible key ball is on the corner of the triangle opposite to the break ball. If you are up-table, two rails with outside draw can work from a lot of different positions to get you back to the center of the table. Not best, but very handy if you are struggling at the end of a rack.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lfigueroa said:

So I learned the one above from Bruin a couple of years ago in one of these forums. It's a no brainer.

I've diagrammed an ideal final 3 below because I think it is there a lot more than I realize. I believe I tend to "miss the forest for the trees" sometimes.

This diagram has 2 pages.
http://CueTable.com/P/?@3ACYP4BAMr4...o4PHFS4QIOA4RFtH4lIOA3lFxu4mFtH3mIDF3vCxUhoa@

On page 1, I'm showing a typical tight cluster of balls with the 5 an obvious break shot. The part I think I miss is on page 2. I've illustrated 3 typical balls that are stop shots right inline with the 4 ball, the key ball. On page 1 they're easy to miss and you end up settling for something like the 7. The set up ball can be anywhere on line B where the 1,2,3 are. Line A just illustrates where the cue ball will be with a stop shot on any ball on line B.

I'm not saying you should leave all three balls on that line. I'm just making the point that there may be several good set up balls within that mess of balls on page 1. Maybe too basic for some, but I should be looking for more of these myself.

dwhite

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Dan, you're so right about that end pattern. Barouty plays for these all the time, and I still have trouble seeing them. A nice benefit of them is that they almost always leave you very close to the break ball.

Thanks for reminding me to stay on the lookout for them :).

- Steve

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
For Bruin70's pattern, I'd much rather have the one ball on the side cushion a diamond and a half from the corner so that the roll of the cue ball is more parallel to the final line rather than across it. Also for this pattern, if the 2 ball is a little farther up the table, I like the two-rail draw shot to get to it, since it produces an "along, not across shape" result.

it's a pattern for a very specific layout that i see all the time, ie when a potential setup ball is very close to the breakshot. i see lot's of players kill these off, or try to approach it like one of figueroa's setups,,,which is fine if it's there, but i see a ball near the bottom rail all the time and it's always passed up because it's an uncommon approach. the 3rd ball can be almost anywhere along the bottom rail except being too much closer to the bottom pocket.

it's an easy setup ball to fall on since coming off the rail makes the cb more controlable, and if the player can't, he has other issues besides learning a 14.1 end game.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Saw this one in a JS video. Although it's more cueball movement, this line is great if you're lucky enough to end up with 2 potential break balls. I can be 18 inches shorter or hit hard enough to almost reach the kitchen, and still have a workable break shot.

CueTable Help

sausage

Banned
Saw this one in a JS video. Although it's more cueball movement, this line is great if you're lucky enough to end up with 2 potential break balls. I can be 18 inches shorter or hit hard enough to almost reach the kitchen, and still have a workable break shot.

i set up for these all the time when i'm fortunate enough to have two break balls. all you have to do is get the cue-ball near center table to use one of them for a key.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Great Post

This is a Great Post. A lot to be learn here.
All four set ups are very good. For me #1, #2 & #3 are equal and are excellent patterns to follow (maybe #2 being the best for me). Set up #4 is also good but it seems like, I have the most trouble with that one, by over running the break ball and getting too straight on it.
I wish that I could set up these break shots all the time but I know with practice. One can come up with these patterns on a higher %.
It is not a bad idea to practice all angles of break shot and familiarize one self with different break shots b/c the lay out of the table is always different and getting started you never know what your opponent is going to leave you to work with.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the break shot thing made me wonder about your favorite key ball sequence. I use to like something like this:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AXtE1BYQC4CKHh1PPbd@

or this:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AXtI4BJfO4CKHh2PTbw@

But lately, and after watching Schmidt run all those balls on his DVD, I favor something like this:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AXto4BCHe4CKHh3PUhR@

or this

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AAsd4BTjy4CKHh3PLtI@

So what's your top two or three end rack sequences?

Lou Figueroa

I opened up the 14.1 Forum and thought for a second someone had high-jacked my account -- I had forgotten I'd even started this thread :)

But as long as we're here.... one more that usually works out pretty good:

CueTable Help

Lou Figueroa

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you guys play on way better equipment then I do:D
Tables I play on balls over 3-4 inches from pocket can't be slow rolled so
the 2-1-4 option is out in Bob's second example and Lou's 1-2-3, in his last
post would be asking for failure.
Great post.good to work these out in one's mind ,and here others opinions

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Dog, do you know about stun follow? It will allow you to some of those shots without babying the ball.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member

CueTable Help

While playing for two breakshots is definitely a great thing, problems can arise when they are kept as the last two balls on the table. The exact angle presented above is indeed a good position, but watch what happens when you slightly miss position:

CueTable Help

Cueballs A and B are both pretty awful positions to be in, and it doesn't even help that you can still shoot either ball. You might be able to draw out of trouble (though not even in position A), but these are not easy draws and you generally won't run a lot of balls if you have to make this play a lot.

- Steve

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Blackjack, I need help with this one:

CueTable Help

First, 15 can be used as a break ball as well which confuses me, but I think 5 is better one so let's take bb is 5. Now 10 is the key ball, right? From whrer the cb is now, what is the sequence, which ball to which pocket? From cb A 10-15-5 is the way to go? Same is from cb B?