Pechauer Black Ice break shaft review

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
1.) I had some money to burn.
2.) I like to have stuff delivered to my door.

So...not needing it but deciding to order it anyway, I got my Pechauer Black Ice break shaft delivered the other day. Observations:

1.) It should have been named Purple Rain as the shaft definitely has a purplish finish to it.
2.) It's heavy at 6.4 ounces.
3.) It's slicker than owl sh*t.
4.) It is nice wood and dead straight.

I ordered this shaft through Seybert's as it was on sale for $225. I had the tip exchanged for a Samsara break tip which ran the out-the-door cost to $244.

Benn breaking a lot of full racks and 9-ball racks with this 29" shaft for a couple of days now (I mated this shaft to a Custom Jacoby 31" butt). I am going to stop short of saying this is the best break shaft/break cue I have ever used...but it is certainly as good as anything I have broken racks with. Needless to say ball pocketing was very good, both full and 9-ball racks, and ball scattering was excellent. The forward balanced shaft took no time to adjust to and actually felt like I was delivering more power to the cue ball.

Not much more to say other than I'm glad I spent the $244 as opposed to having it burning a hole in my pocket. If you are looking for a good break shaft, I can certainly recommend this one.

https://www.seyberts.com/pechauer-black-ice-shaft-break-14-thread

Maniac

Last edited:

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am considering one of these to mate with a radial pinned butt. Hesitant as I'm not sure if a radial pinned butt would work well for breaking.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am considering one of these to mate with a radial pinned butt. Hesitant as I'm not sure if a radial pinned butt would work well for breaking.

Mike Gulyassy used radial pins in his Sledgehammer jump/breaks for years. No problems.

Im thinking about getting one of these for an old Sledgehammer I have. :thumbup:

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys. I hadn't heard of radial pins in break cues before. When I have money to burn, I'll hit "add to cart".

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To add to this with my thoughts and a few pics I took. At the Dechaine vs Bustie event in Crow's Nest in NH I grabbed one of these shafts to try from Claiton Rocha. It went on the Predator IKON cue my son has with a uniloc pin and 1.7 oz of weight bolt.

Very forward weighted. It's a bit odd to hold actually like carrying a weeble that don't wobble upside down :grin:

Broke maybe 10 racks with it, felt solid, and the stoke of the break was smooth and felt I had power behind the hit. But I did not like how solid and dense it felt, I felt as if I made a tiny mistake in the stoke even a bit off center that I would miscue. Other break cues with plastic tips did not feel that way.

I liked the force of the hit, I liked the balance in the break once I got a few shots in, but did not quite like the feel of the hit.

Not for me but worth a try since it's so different. Someone else may really like it due to that.

20180916_195950.jpg

20180916_195958.jpg

Last edited: