How long should a 100 point match take?

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am seeking opinions on this subject as local billiard room is considering giving league players a flat rate for league play rather than pay per hour. I realize there are variables such as player skill levels, high quantity of safety play, smoke breaks and bathroom breaks during the game....but it's my opinion that a 100 point match should be able to be comfortably played in 2 hours or less. I have tracked two matches so far and both have been competed with in the two hours. Going out for my third game this afternoon.

What do you think?

Dennis

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Time

Yes, 100 points should take 2 hours.
Yes, it does depend on the players skill level but I do believe that "A"
players would not have a problem keeping it within 2 hours.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
2 hours is a good average amount of time. More time would just be in extreme safety-wars and if it s a hill/hill match.

And i am a REALLY slow player :p- so believe me, 2 hours should be enough-lol^^

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
When I play one of the guys that I enjoy playing, Ed Latimer, our races to 100 usually go just over an hour.

I played another fellow both Monday and Thursday in two different leagues.

The first game was 3 hours, the next was 3 1/2. Lots of safeties and he is s...l...o...w.....

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am seeking opinions on this subject as local billiard room is considering giving league players a flat rate for league play rather than pay per hour. I realize there are variables such as player skill levels, high quantity of safety play, smoke breaks and bathroom breaks during the game....but it's my opinion that a 100 point match should be able to be comfortably played in 2 hours or less. I have tracked two matches so far and both have been competed with in the two hours. Going out for my third game this afternoon.

What do you think?

Dennis

about an hour if you play as aggressive as i do

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Two hours should be plenty at most skill levels though one sloowwwww player can make a match go on forever.

Of course, there is the other end of the spectrum. If I'm playing John Schmidt and lose the lag, the match will take exactly as long as it takes me to unscrew. :grin-square:

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a low level player playing other low to medium level players I find 2:30 to be about average. I see many 3 hour matches, some with good players, being played.

Dave Nelson

Hank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing time

Two hours should be plenty of time for skilled players,our league has many different skill levels.One race 100 /19---100 /32---100/48---100/62---100/75---100/88---100/100---It's not easy giving up so much weight,but makes for an exciting match and promotes the 14.1 game as a whole.The in house league is growing and so are the players all around skills.IT"S A BEAUTIFULL THING.>>HANK<<

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I timed my match yesterday, though it was not a typical match. I was playing Jon DeMet, whom some of you may know. Jon plays in our round robin and functions as mentor to the group. Jon was playing me 145 to 85 and the final score was 145 to 41. Neither of us played his best though Jon ended the game with a run of 31 and out which he then continued to 50. At the moment of runout the time was 1 hr 59 min.

Dave Nelson

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Play

I'm familiar with 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hour matches to 100. Although, there are some who play like the World Championship hangs in the balance and study even the simplest, no-brainer shots for a minute or more. I've played a player like this a few games recently. The first time we played a game to 100 it took 2 hours and 10 minutes. Right after our game started my usual playing partner walked in and was practicing on a table nearby. After 2 hours he left. He thought me and the guy I was playing was well into a 2nd game. After the match the guy at the counter/owner asked how many games we played and laughed when I told him only one. Over two hours to 100 is quite long for where I'm at and for the types of players I'm used to playing.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

What do you think?

Dennis
There was a thread a few months ago that discussed using a chess clock for 14.1 matches and some times were listed. If you don't count racking time and inning change times, 30 seconds per ball is enough for an average-speed player. Being on the clock does take some getting used to.

At that rate, two hours should produce about 240 pocketed balls.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I timed my match yesterday, though it was not a typical match. I was playing Jon DeMet, whom some of you may know. Jon plays in our round robin and functions as mentor to the group. Jon was playing me 145 to 85 and the final score was 145 to 41. Neither of us played his best though Jon ended the game with a run of 31 and out which he then continued to 50. At the moment of runout the time was 1 hr 59 min.

Dave Nelson

I'm glad to hear Jon is still active in 14.1. I played him at Pockets one time and watched him in the finals up at Boomers a few years back.
I wonder what his high run is.

For about 200 pocketed balls, 2 hours is not too bad.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis

Jon's high run is 71 and that was probably the match you watched at Boomers. Jon doesn't play enough at present but i'm sure he will exceed 100 sometime soon.

Dave Nelson

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
2 hours

I know these subjects are about helping other players with 14.1 and I am really glad of it. That is what attracted me to this site in the first place.
Instead of reading so much "trash talk"

So, have we all decided that approx 2 hours is the general length of a match between two average skill level players?

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience it's always been about 1 hour, maybe just a shade over an hour. I used to play a guy 3 games of straight pool (100 points each) every night and we usually finished in a little over 3 hours. i shoot kind of fast and he shoots about average speed.