Cyclops hyperion balls arrived today!

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting my table refelted with 860hr soon so decided I should get some quality balls finally. I read for hours on here about different sets and everyone's impressions. There is a lot of disagreement about skidding issues, some say aramith is worse some say cyclops was worse. When it came down to it I decided they both probably play terrific and I decided I liked the style of cyclops balls more. Particularly the unique looking hyperion set. I always liked the looks of the measles ball but when I tried one out I thought it felt light and I couldnt control it as well as my centennial cue ball or my brothers cyclops ball, so when I saw the cyclops version of the measles ball and a set that came with two I had to go for it.

I ordered them from Mannings cues on sunday night. They arrived today, only complaint is that the box was literally thrown into a ups box with foam on one end. As a result a corner of the hyperion box is a little dented and the thin plastic insert inside was all broken up in one corner. The ups box didnt even look abused but the hyperion box looks beat up. A little lame attempt at packaging a 325 dollar item.

I also read from many sources that the biggest problem was the octagons and numbers on the balls were off center and that was distracting, but the threads were a couple years old so I just ordered the set and hoped for the best. I am happy to report that at least this set does not have that issue. The 2 ball looks slightly off if you are looking for the problem, but not enough that I think I will be distracted when ever lining up a shot. Maybe they have improved their quality control, maybe this set just happened to turn out better. But I am happy with how they look!

Edit: not letting me upload a picture at the moment, will ad one asap

Last edited:

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This time should work

Attachments

• 15731521644031881299499541213539.jpg
    15731521644031881299499541213539.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 637

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looks great except for the 7 and 15..... Those are starting to wear on me after playing with them in leagues a couple weeks now.

Good luck, enjoy those balls.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could be just me, but those octagons are really distracting to look at. Cue ball sets used for real play should not be about "look at how flashy my design is" but how easy it is to look at them for long periods of time and see the edges of the balls. It's a huge reason I can't stand the Cyclop cueball, don't know who decided having a thick clear coat over it is a good idea, but I'd guess they are more design artists than pool players.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could be just me, but those octagons are really distracting to look at. Cue ball sets used for real play should not be about "look at how flashy my design is" but how easy it is to look at them for long periods of time and see the edges of the balls. It's a huge reason I can't stand the Cyclop cueball, don't know who decided having a thick clear coat over it is a good idea, but I'd guess they are more design artists than pool players.

Your not the only one, I read about a lot of people complaining about both those things. And when the cueball is in my hand and I'm looking at them I can see what people are talking about, but when down on a shot, dont notice those details at all. Still my first night with them but even being a new thing I'm not distracted by the new details

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each their own but the octagon design isn’t as attractive as circles & some
colors are just too light (1&9, 6&14 and 7&15). As long as you like ‘em, well,
no one’s opinion is worth a tinker’s damn but compliments are neat to read.

Matt B.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each his own but to me those are hideous. Don't like the octagon or the funky tv colors.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each his own but to me those are hideous. Don't like the octagon or the funky tv colors.
My personal favorite is the Aramith tournament set, not to be confused with the Aramith Tournament TV color set! Brunswick centennials would be my second choice, but they clearly don’t stay as high gloss as the Aramith tournament balls after some usage.

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I love the glossy cue ball. Don’t know why. Whenever I play with a cyclop set I feel like I can get into it much easier than otherwise. Strange but true

Jhunter354

Should be practicing
Silver Member
Hope you like them. They look awesome and rumor is they stay cleaner than the competition.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I used them about 3 hours last night and I am a big fan. I've been out of the game about 3 years+, rearranged the house to fit the table. Came with cheap balls and all week that I've been using and my position play was awful, leaves were terrible. Last night was the best I've shot since I got the table. still have a long ways to go but cue ball was going more where i wanted it for sure.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just spent two days at Griffs playing with the Hyperion balls. I really hate the colors but I like the cool design. During those two days I had one really bad skid, one of the worst I’ve ever seen. Overall I like the balls and I’m considering getting a set. If they would sell a normal color and 16 ball set, it would already be a done deal.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just spent two days at Griffs playing with the Hyperion balls. I really hate the colors but I like the cool design. During those two days I had one really bad skid, one of the worst I’ve ever seen. Overall I like the balls and I’m considering getting a set. If they would sell a normal color and 16 ball set, it would already be a done deal.
The soon-to-be-released Predator balls are made by Cyclop and are traditional in color. The players that used them in Vegas loved them. https://www.predatorcues.com/performance-accessories/arcos-ii-reserve-billiard-balls/ UD: msg'd Predator and they've moved back release date til summer '20.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They look like a Centennial knock-off.
A lot of similarity. The players at the WPA 10b in Vegas really liked them. They also looked great on the stream. I hate those funky skittle tv balls.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The looks of the Hyperions are subjective. I like the looks as they are a throwback to vintage Direct Site's. I actually prefer them over Centennials and Aramiths for the simple fact they stay cleaner, longer.

Direct Site's
49038498077_e7f62fec6e_c.jpg