billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two Stories about ABC Club in San Diego, CA

Story #1

The ABC Club - thorn in Gaslamp development

Eight ball in the corner pocket

By Joe Applegate, Nov. 4, 1982

While Momma — as Mrs. Yamada is called by her patrons — was racking the balls at the foot of the table, Joe selected a cue from the rack on the wall. There were some decent cues to choose from. It’s rare to find a place that stocks decent sticks. Bars are the worst: their sticks are nicked, warped, dirty, sawed off, ridiculous. A trick is to bring a square of rough sandpaper to doctor the beaten leather tip of the cue so at least it will hold chalk. Mrs. Yamada tips her own cues herself, but even so provides a clean square of sandpaper to anyone who asks. Joe didn’t ask for one, but I did.

Continue Reading at below link

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/1982/nov/04/cover-eight-ball-in-the-corner-pocket/#

Story #2

The ABC Club pool room at 5th and Market

They don't play like they used to

By Robert Paul, June 16, 1977

Halfway into the room the floor changes to tan hardwood and the pool tables begin, five of them, 30 years old or better, owned outright by Mrs. Yamada. She charges 15 cents a game and hasn’t raised the price since 1967. In addition to the tables, which are wooden and were built by Brunswick back when the company called itself Brunswick-Balke-Collender, the room has but two objects with nostalgia potential—a wooden telephone booth (equipped with a push-button pay phone), and, high in the half-light above the table lamps, a ceiling of molded, whitewashed tin.

Continue Reading at Link below

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/1977/jun/16/cover-they-dont-play-like-they-used-to/

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two Stories about ABC Club in San Diego, CA

Story #1

The ABC Club - thorn in Gaslamp development

Eight ball in the corner pocket

By Joe Applegate, Nov. 4, 1982

While Momma — as Mrs. Yamada is called by her patrons — was racking the balls at the foot of the table, Joe selected a cue from the rack on the wall. There were some decent cues to choose from. It’s rare to find a place that stocks decent sticks. Bars are the worst: their sticks are nicked, warped, dirty, sawed off, ridiculous. A trick is to bring a square of rough sandpaper to doctor the beaten leather tip of the cue so at least it will hold chalk. Mrs. Yamada tips her own cues herself, but even so provides a clean square of sandpaper to anyone who asks. Joe didn’t ask for one, but I did.

Continue Reading at below link

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/1982/nov/04/cover-eight-ball-in-the-corner-pocket/#

Story #2

The ABC Club pool room at 5th and Market

They don't play like they used to

By Robert Paul, June 16, 1977

Halfway into the room the floor changes to tan hardwood and the pool tables begin, five of them, 30 years old or better, owned outright by Mrs. Yamada. She charges 15 cents a game and hasn’t raised the price since 1967. In addition to the tables, which are wooden and were built by Brunswick back when the company called itself Brunswick-Balke-Collender, the room has but two objects with nostalgia potential—a wooden telephone booth (equipped with a push-button pay phone), and, high in the half-light above the table lamps, a ceiling of molded, whitewashed tin.

Continue Reading at Link below

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/1977/jun/16/cover-they-dont-play-like-they-used-to/

Thanks for this. I was in there once in the late 60's and knew nothing about the history of the place. I parked outside when I saw the sign and went inside to see if there was any action. All I saw was a few drunks sitting at the bar and a couple of guys playing Eight Ball. I played a few games on one of the tables, paying after each game, and then left. It was a Japanese kid who racked the balls and collected from me. I don't remember seeing the Japanese lady who owned the place but she may have been behind the bar serving people.

In those days I stopped in any poolroom I saw anywhere! This place left little impression on me. The action back then was at the Billiard Tavern and College Billiards. There was some bar action downtown as well, but that was a tough area where you could get robbed.