Pool Needs More Respect!!!!!!

poolpimp13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolsnark said:
Pool will be an Olympic sport just as soon as they let in darts, horseshoes, beer pong and cornhole. As lame as some (well, most) of the Olympic sports are, you're never going to see them include bar games. Now if someone decided to create the Barlympics...

Pool in the Olympics wouldn't help the game anyway, although I'm pretty sure this topic has been covered in about 62 other threads. Don't feel bad though. The darts guys feel just as pissy about their game being excluded from the Olympics too (at least they did in 2006). The article in The Guardian is actually pretty amusing, as you could remove the word "darts", replace it with "pool" and have the same argument that's been made over and over again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2006/jan/04/sport.gdnsport3
pool is a lot harder than alot of what they call sports in the olymphics.

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OneArmed said:
Have you ever curled? I curl in the winter, after all, I live in Minnesota.

You would be surprised how similar they are. You can 'throw' rocks with spin, and having pool knowledge actually helps in curling. As the skip, if you know how spherical objects react, it really does help.

WTF else would you do in Minnesota in the winter? Besides drinking, I mean. LMAO:groucho: :thumbup:

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
B4IFURU18 said:
I never curled, that's true.Looks kind of funny to me. A guy throws a rock and then yells to the others to broom. But its an olympic sport so what do I know...

I also split my pants once in the middle of the curling club. That was slightly humourous. Don't wear jeans on the ice...

The most similar part is when you have rocks contact other rocks already in play. Depending on what spin is on the rock, and how you contact them, you can do caroms and combinations.

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
Hi, this is a repost from Some Free "Billiard for Olympics" Desktop Backgrounds For Your Computer

......With the recent discussion on adding billiard sports to the Olympics, we have also caught the fever here and come up with some ideas. :) With some existing CueTable artworks, we have put together some free desktop pictures for people to enjoy. Simply right-click on any of the links below and save the file to your computer. Please share it with your friends if you'd like...

With Texts

1600 x 1200 | 1024 x 768 | 800 x 600

BilliardSportForOlympic800600.jpg

Without Texts

1600 x 1200 | 1024 x 768 | 800 x 600

BilliardSportForOlympic800600plain.jpg

If you are interested, we have made some "Billiard Olympics" polo shirts available for purchase ($25 S, M, L, XL, XXL)

BilliardOlympics.jpg

You can check it out at http://www.cafepress.com/CueTable.293799655

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolsnark said:
Pool will be an Olympic sport just as soon as they let in darts, horseshoes, beer pong and cornhole.

How do you play cornhole...never mind. I do not want to know any more about it.:eek: :eek2:

Steve Ellis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JMS said:
Up late watching the Olympics (don't ask me why), notice some stupid events over there in Beijing. Why is pool not an event and events like speedwalking and trampoline are an Olympic event. Quote from Time magazine "And trampolining, if you think about it, at least it fulfills the basic requirement of promising very serious injury. Teenage girls jump 20 ft. in the air, do tricks called the double back tuck and the full-in-full-out, and then fall on their faces and cry:crying: " The only trampolining in the U.S. is on the Man Show. But the stupidest sport of all may be race walking. If the event were held at the Mall and restricted to the over-60 set, it might be fun to watch. But instead it's young people jogging and pretending to walk. And that looks really, really stupid.

Maybe we should have Efren Reyes and Buddy Hall race walk 5 miles to the pool hall then play a set. We could even make it a team sport and use a cue as the baton!

I think the proper action would not be to add pool to the Olympics, but to remove one hell of a lot of dumb events. I never remember reading about the ancient Greeks twirling ribbons and dancing with hoola-hoops.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jimmy-leggs said:
I was watching today and could'nt believe that Bmx downhill racing is an olympic sport.My god,Whats next snowboarding in the winter olympics.OOPS............SORRY,ENOUGH SAID.
Have to disagree with that one...

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
B4IFURU18 said:
I never curled, that's true.Looks kind of funny to me.

Now you know how pool looks to non-poolplayers .... "kinda funny". But you can drink while playing pool or curling or throwing darts or playing shuffleboard ... try that on a bumpy little bicycle Mr. Black Balls :p ... wait, you probably have tried that :embarrassed2:

Dave

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DaveK said:
Now you know how pool looks to non-poolplayers .... "kinda funny". But you can drink while playing pool or curling or throwing darts or playing shuffleboard ... try that on a bumpy little bicycle Mr. Black Balls :p ... wait, you probably have tried that :embarrassed2:

Dave

I have ridden my bike under the influence of ___and____and_______and____and_______and____and___

I am sensing a pattern here.

(MY PEE IS CLEAN!)

B4IFURU18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DaveK said:

Dave

Plus you can be obese while playing pro level. That doesn't help either. :p

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JMS said:
Up late watching the Olympics (don't ask me why), notice some stupid events over there in Beijing like ... trampoline are an Olympic event.

I agree. Trampoline is a stupid event for the Olympics.

Everybody knows that it is just the introductory when starting training for the Aerials, a real Winter Olympics event.:grin: :grin: :grin:

As for pool needing more respect, need does not enter into the equation.

Has pool earned respect?

If the answer is no .......