Jack Justis West Case Review

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For background, please see Jack Justis Announces Jack Justis West Cases

I just got back from a trip and was pleasantly surprised to find a new Jack Justis West Case waiting for me still in its box.

The case was in a black case sleeve with draw string, so its finish was protected over the shipping journey.

The all black case is a 2x4 and is made to the specifications of the Pro-Lite Justis cases. . It's built with a single custom oval tube with the same separator interior. The tooling is the typical Justis style. There is no silver highlighting as Jack would normally do on some of his all black cases. The weight is the same as my Justis Pro-Lite

For all intents and purposes, the look is identical to a Justis original case with a few differences. The rivets are solid rather than the hollow style that Jack uses. The Jack Justis West case also uses rivets only to hold the top handle to the lid. Jack normally uses both rivets and tacks/brads to hold the handle to the lid. That sometimes results in the brads getting pulled out when you grab the case by the handle. IMO, the rivets are the way to go, so it's a welcomed change with the Justis West.

For the leather, there's a texture to it that my Pro-Lite doesn't have. The weight of the leather on the handles feels slightly thinner on the West. I'm talking 1.2 mm vs 1.0 mm {edit: the West handles' leather is about 1.0 mm thick while the original just a smidge thicker}. Something of that order. I suspect the rest of the leather on the case body of the West is just slightly thinner as well. The shoulder pad's interior side (the side that goes on the shoulder) is natural instead of black suede, so it stands out. It looks a little unfinished. Also, the spray clear finish isn't holding up as well as Jack's finish or wasn't put on as well. It looks slightly matte instead of glossy all the way through. But, if this was finished like Jack does it, it would be very difficult to discern the Jack Justis West from Jack Justis originals. It's minor, but I think most people would notice it.

That being said, the downside is that this case smells more like shoe polish than I would like. I get this feeling that the polish will start coming off in my hands. My hands smell very dye-like.

Additionally, on the back side, that long piece of leather riveted in place to cover the seam, it looks like it's been glued on to hold in place prior to riveting. There are a couple spots where that glue (if it's glue) has seeped out. It might be spray finish that pooled up, but whatever it is, I"ve never noticed anything similar on a Justis original.

I've loaded the case up with cues and it remains light like the Pro-Lite original. The pockets (short 8"top, long 16" bottom) are exactly the same design as my Pro-Lite with Jack's normal zip up style with a leather pull on a ringlet. The leather piece on the ringlet like the shoulder pad is black on one side and natural on the other. Again, it sticks out too much for my taste. The zipper teeth are very slightly different (slightly smaller?) than my Pro-Lite. Unless you had the two side by side, you'd never know. Pulling the zippers up and down didn't give any indication that there was any advantage or disadvantage either way. I think it's more of a case that it's just a different manufacturer of that particular zipper size. The pockets had the protective foam pads inside.

There's no brass band at the bottom of the Justis West. I?m definitely okay with that, but others might want one. I don't know if it's an option.

The fit of the lid onto the case is good. I've had some other brand cases that the lid didn't look like it was made with the case in mind.

I think the finish (including dye/polish smell) is the only thing that I could fault with this case, and it's hardly noticeable. It just happens that I have a Pro-lite case of the same basic color to compare side-by-side. I could easily buff this case to a shine, do some silver highlighting with a silver marker, and this would look as fine as any other Justis Pro-Lite. In fact, I like the non-highlighted look, so maybe just a shine.

I'll report back on how it holds up over normal use.

Fred

Last edited:

muttley76

"Time to GET BUSY...."
Silver Member
Thanks alot for the review, and I look forward to hearing future reviews. One quick question. For the roughly $200 or so price difference, would the little things and name and resale value dictate buying an original, if someone had the choice? Thanks, Matt

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
identification?

Is Justis West written anywhere on the case to differentiate it from the Jack case? Any pics?

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
misterpoole said:
Is Justis West written anywhere on the case to differentiate it from the Jack case? Any pics?

I saw a few of them this week and they do have Justice West marked on the side of the case under one of the handles.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Nick B said:
Fred,
From whom did you purchase the case?

Nick

It's my understanding that Fred is Jack's lab rat........so to speak. :thumbup:
MULLY
as far as I know it's no secret

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
The weight of the leather on the handles feels slightly thinner on the West. I'm talking 1.2 mm vs 1.0 mm. Something of that order.
WHOA!!!!! When I said this, I meant that the Justis Original is about 1.2mm thick on the handle piece while the Justis West is about 1.0.

Fred

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nick B said:
Fred,
From whom did you purchase the case?

Nick
Jack had it sent to me to give it a full review. Quality Control and testing.

As of this writing, there are no major issues

There is also at least one improvement, IMO over the originals (the all-riveted lids).

There a couple of minor issues (heavy leather smell, slightly splotchy finish, and glue indication on the back). These should be controllable for the future and may not be an issue with the other ones. People at the APA Nationals could chime in since there should be some at Omega Billiards.

I am told that the heavy smell is simply the leather they're using (whether it's the tannery or what). I'm a motorcyle rider. I love the smell of leather. This smells seems a bit strong for me so it's going to have to air out. Others may love the smell since it does smell like strong leather.

Fred

Last edited:

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
I am told that the heavy smell is simply the leather they're using (whether it's the tannery or what). I'm a motorcyle rider. I love the smell of leather. This smells seems a bit strong for me so it's going to have to air out. Others may love the smell since it does smell like strong leather.

Fred

Oddly enough, when I got my Justis I thought it didn't smell enough like leather.
MULLY

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Nice report Fred.
cheers.gif

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ironically when I got my GTF case it had a strong leather smell. Like Cman said, must be how they tan the leather on that side of the ocean. I personally liked the smell.

Ian

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
xianmacx said:
Ironically when I got my GTF case it had a strong leather smell. Like Cman said, must be how they tan the leather on that side of the ocean. I personally liked the smell.

Ian

Most of the GTF Cases are made of nappa leather which does have a nice "leather" odor to it. Kind of like going into a Wilson's Leather Goods store.

When we do the tooled cases the veg tan will often lose it's "leather" smell a bit because of the sealers applied to the surface.

Maybe a good idea is to put a small piece of untreated leather in the case so that when you open it it has that "new leather" smell :)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
muttley76 said:
Thanks alot for the review, and I look forward to hearing future reviews. One quick question. For the roughly $200 or so price difference, would the little things and name and resale value dictate buying an original, if someone had the choice? Thanks, Matt
It's kind of a moot point, since the whole reason for doing this was so that the quality and name could continue while Jack gets to retire!!!

I mean, if the result of this is that there's some onslaught of orders prior to Jack's retiring because people presume a market and collectible impact, it defeats the purposes of him trying to prepare for a retirement. And I suspect some people would get no case from Jack because he wouldn't be able to get to all the orders. At some point, he will stop taking orders and ride into the sunset.

Fred

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy said:
Thanks FRED.

I agree with Fred.

Here are a few photos of the Justis West and Jasmin's ProLite taken together. When I was in China, I looked at a couple different lid designs and liked the way they riveted the top of lid strap to the top of the lid. This eliminated the 2 eschution which sometimes backs out depending on how rough you are on the lid strap. With their permission, I immediately changed my cases over to this improved design. If I took photos of identical cases (Justis West/Justis Cases) side by side, you would not be able to tell which is which except for the smell.....:wink:

Attachments

• FRONT.jpg
    FRONT.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3,765

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member
Jack Justis said:
I agree with Fred.

Here are a few photos of the Justis West and Jasmin's ProLite taken together. When I was in China, I looked at a couple different lid designs and liked the way they riveted the top of lid strap to the top of the lid. This eliminated the 2 eschution which sometimes backs out depending on how rough you are on the lid strap. With their permission, I immediately changed my cases over to this improved design. If I took photos of identical cases (Justis West/Justis Cases) side by side, you would not be able to tell which is which except for the smell.....:wink:

Another pic of the 2 cases

Attachments

• BACK.jpg
    BACK.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 3,092