Shaft dent removal techniques

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
My buddy put a dent in his shaft and was asking how to get it out. I smashed mine in the car door a long time ago and my cue maker was able to almost completely fix it by steaming it. Anyone know the best technique to do this?

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy put a dent in his shaft and was asking how to get it out. I smashed mine in the car door a long time ago and my cue maker was able to almost completely fix it by steaming it. Anyone know the best technique to do this?

Steaming works well. As does simply wetting the dented portion and/or leaving a bit of damp paper towel on the dent. HOWEVER, this is assuming that the shaft is solid wood (not a laminated shaft). Water and steam are not the friend of wood glue.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I carefully locate the dent and use a cotton swab dabbed in water.
Place the swab on the dent and leave it to soak in for 10-15 minutes.
Then allow to dry an hour or so.
At this point the dent should be above the original surface and most of the water evaporated.
You knock the rise back down with a shot glass running up and down the shaft.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I wrap the shaft with a piece of wet paper towel folded into several layers, enough to protect
the shaft for what comes in a little while. I'll apply water directly to the paper towel where the
dent is and let that sit and soak for a minute or two.
While doing this I'll let my soldering iron (wide tip) heat up. After it has sat for a minute or
two, I'll apply the soldering iron tip directly to spot on the paper towel that is above the
dent, holding it on there for a few seconds or so at a time. Continue to apply water
to the paper towel as needed A few times is usually enough to steam the dent away.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Screaming tea kettle spout....
Or if it doesn't have that kind of spout, put a pin hole in aluminum foil for the steam to go through.

I used to put a drop of water on the dent and bring a lit match down onto the drop of water to heat it. (A soldering iron is a little more controlled.)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Boil a small amount of water in the microwave.

Dip a cotton swab into the boiling water.

Hold the swab against the dent.

Repeat as necessary.

Lou Figueroa
if a CF shaft
buy some Bondo :)

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Scratch the dent with Sand Paper just to raise the hair of the grain. Put a wet ball of paper towel in the dent. Let sit over night.

Use 1000 grit and sand it smooth. Good as new. Nasty dents may need another round.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been playing with dents in my shaft for a long time. Just haven’t took the time to get them out. I’ve gotten used to them now and they don’t even bother me.

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
I carry a thick shot glass in my case. If its just a minor dent I simply wet my finger with saliva, place it on the dent. Wait a while and smooth it off with the shot glass. I may have to repeat this multiple times, but it works quite well. I've been doing this for over 40 years. An old school remedy for an old school player.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I carry a thick shot glass in my case. If its just a minor dent I simply wet my finger with saliva, place it on the dent. Wait a while and smooth it off with the shot glass. I may have to repeat this multiple times, but it works quite well. I've been doing this for over 40 years. An old school remedy for an old school player.

I bought a glass guitar slide.... only about 1-1/2" long and nice -n-thick

https://www.ebay.com/p/Dunlop-213-G...Size-13-and-Ships/1100028895?iid=292652479451

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

]

I have carried this for 20+ years. I normally remove my dents at home with steam, but I have used it while out playing several times. In a game where a ding might get distracting, I would rather use this than put up with the ding.

To note though, shot glasses, cue rx rods etc etc, make the dent bigger and more spread out. Most of the time, its not noticeable between the fingers, but it is obvious when the shaft is put on a lathe.

33439392988_a5a2d440d6_c.jpg

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

https://www.ebay.com/p/Dunlop-213-G...Size-13-and-Ships/1100028895?iid=292652479451

Or, you could just break the top off a wine or beer bottle, which is what slide guitar players used to do before Coricidin bottles became popular in the 60s. People used to dip a string in candle wax and wind it around the bottle neck, and then light it. After a couple minutes, the bottle neck would break off clean.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or, you could just break the top off a wine or beer bottle, which is what slide guitar players used to do before Coricidin bottles became popular in the 60s. People used to dip a string in candle wax and wind it around the bottle neck, and then light it. After a couple minutes, the bottle neck would break off clean.
And the person who really put Coricidin bottles on the map? The late/great "Skydog" himself, Dwayne Allman.

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
I have carried this for 20+ years. I normally remove my dents at home with steam, but I have used it while out playing several times. In a game where a ding might get distracting, I would rather use this than put up with the ding.

To note though, shot glasses, cue rx rods etc etc, make the dent bigger and more spread out. Most of the time, its not noticeable between the fingers, but it is obvious when the shaft is put on a lathe.

33439392988_a5a2d440d6_c.jpg

I may have misspoke regarding my best friend Al. This is what he carried. Where can I get one?