Why isn't anybody mad about the WPC?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I honestly must say that i was FUMING from watching the WPC this year! The slowness, the dungeon like atmosphere, the lack of interest...How in the world did this happen? How could the WPA stand by and watch this without doing anything? The most prestigeous event of the sport, reduced to a snoozefest that nobody could realistically watch. I watched the first few racks of the final (having suffered through quite a few matches before) but then I had to switch off. Ted Lerner isn't terrible, certainly no Grady by any stretch, but his co-commentator was unbearable. Get one smooth talker and an expert co-commentator please.

The slowness....my God the slowness...Seriously who can watch this drag on?

It's time for the WPA to completely turn around and do something different, because this is getting worse every year. First the demands for pricemoney has to come down. We can't do without an 8 ball championship or 10 ball championship anymore. If that means the players get smaller prices, then so be it. It's way more important to actually have world champions and that people can watch. Have the 8 ball in China, England, the US, the Phillipines, anywhere but that desert dungeon...Lets get some people to actually be there and cheer! When was the last sanctioned straight pool WPC? Oh, right, we can't have that because nobody can meat the money demands. Well, somebody coffed up the money you wanted for the 9 ball, and look where that got us! WIthout interest from the local people or even the promotors of the event, this morgue like atmosphere is what we end up with. Not to mention the fact that the event is being held far away from the major pool nations.

Some promotion wouldn't go amiss either. I mean ANY promotion. How about a working website, that would be nice. Could there be a podcast of sorts, some interviews maybe? Nah, too much to ask, I guess.

I want to know what the WPA are planning to do about the dismal state of pool? Do they have any idea at all, about how bad things actually are? Or are they too busy counting oil money?

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly must say that i was FUMING from watching the WPC this year! The slowness, the dungeon like atmosphere, the lack of interest...How in the world did this happen? How could the WPA stand by and watch this without doing anything? The most prestigeous event of the sport, reduced to a snoozefest that nobody could realistically watch. I watched the first few racks of the final (having suffered through quite a few matches before) but then I had to switch off. Ted Lerner isn't terrible, certainly no Grady by any stretch, but his co-commentator was unbearable. Get one smooth talker and an expert co-commentator please.

The slowness....my God the slowness...Seriously who can watch this drag on?

It's time for the WPA to completely turn around and do something different, because this is getting worse every year. First the demands for pricemoney has to come down. We can't do without an 8 ball championship or 10 ball championship anymore. If that means the players get smaller prices, then so be it. It's way more important to actually have world champions and that people can watch. Have the 8 ball in China, England, the US, the Phillipines, anywhere but that desert dungeon...Lets get some people to actually be there and cheer! When was the last sanctioned straight pool WPC? Oh, right, we can't have that because nobody can meat the money demands.

Some promotion wouldn't go amiss either. I mean ANY promotion. How about a working website, that would be nice. Could there be a podcast of sorts, some interviews maybe? Nah, too much to ask, I guess.

I want to know what the WPA are planning to do about the dismal state of pool? Do they have any idea at all, about how bad things actually are? Or are they too busy counting oil money?

They'd toe the line and disagree with you. Ted is looking forward to another two years there.

The event has been declining there in Qatar for a number of years. Nothing new.
There were interviews on Facebook. The QBSF seemingly decide to do nothing on their website this year. Guess they just let Dariusz and the WPA handle all "promotion".

I haven't thought it was the most prestigious event in the sport for more than a decade, mainly because of the game played, 9 Ball. If the CSI/Predator guys would expand that world 10 ball event to at least 96 entrants it would instantly be the most prestigious in my book. 64 is too limited.

They have a 8 ball world championship on their WPA calendar with no details at all. Par for the course with those clowns.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
They'd toe the line and disagree with you. Ted is looking forward to another two years there.

The event has been declining there in Qatar for a number of years. Nothing new.
There were interviews on Facebook. The QBSF seemingly decide to do nothing on their website this year. Guess they just let Dariusz and the WPA handle all "promotion".

I haven't thought it was the most prestigious event in the sport for more than a decade, mainly because of the game played, 9 Ball. If the CSI/Predator guys would expand that world 10 ball event to at least 96 entrants it would instantly be the most prestigious in my book. 64 is too limited.

They have a 8 ball world championship on their WPA calendar with no details at all. Par for the course with those clowns.

FYI, 10-ball is a tiny little polka dot on the world map of tournament pool. There is little, if any, evidence that 10-ball is gaining in popularity in recent years at the pro tourney level, which is still probably over 95% 9-ball. Any suggestion that 9-ball has failed to bring the cream of the crop to the top is just plain ridiculous, and to say that a 9-ball event lacks credibility because of the game contested is even more ridiculous.

I was glad to see the revival of the World 10-ball Championship this year, and I hope the event proves financially sustainable. We shall see.

It's your every right to enjoy 10-ball more than 9-ball, but there's no reason to think it will replace 9-ball as the primary game in competitive rotation pool any time soon. The average recreational pool player has never even heard of 10 ball.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
FYI, 10-ball is a tiny little polka dot on the world map of tournament pool. There is little, if any, evidence that 10-ball is gaining in popularity in recent years at the pro tourney level, which is still probably over 95% 9-ball. Any suggestion that 9-ball has failed to bring the cream of the crop to the top is just plain ridiculous, and to say that a 9-ball event lacks credibility because of the game contested is even more ridiculous.

I was glad to see the revival of the World 10-ball Championship this year, and I hope the event proves financially sustainable. We shall see.

It's your every right to enjoy 10-ball more than 9-ball, but there's no reason to think it will replace 9-ball as the primary game in competitive rotation pool any time soon. The average recreational pool player has never even heard of 10 ball.

It is true that 10 ball isn't as well known as 9 ball, but to have NO world championship for years and years? And what about 8 ball? Seriously, if the WPA had went all out on 9 ball, that would be ok. But they're not, are they? It's a placekeeper event that exist only to grant prestige to Quatar and money to the WPA. It's a damned disgrace.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All switching to 10 ball does is screw with the heads of a general non-pool playing public. “Wait? It’s not 8 ball? But it looks like an 8 ball rack.”

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
All switching to 10 ball does is screw with the heads of a general non-pool playing public. “Wait? It’s not 8 ball? But it looks like an 8 ball rack.”

Loads of poolrooms have nine ball leagues, but I wonder if there's a ten ball league to be found anywhere.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Loads of poolrooms have nine ball leagues, but I wonder if there's a ten ball league to be found anywhere.

There are 10ball leagues, but they pale in comparison to the number of 9ball leagues. Which in turn pales in comparison to the number of 8ball leagues. I’m still a firm believer that the only game the general public would ever understand and accept in some type of viewership is and always has been 8ball.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I listed an email link to Gre Leenders who is a WPA board member. Just scroll thru Main pages to WPA contact info. He's a good guy and will respond.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There are 10ball leagues, but they pale in comparison to the number of 9ball leagues. Which in turn pales in comparison to the number of 8ball leagues. I’m still a firm believer that the only game the general public would ever understand and accept in some type of viewership is and always has been 8ball.

Yup, I've often posted that 8-ball was the better game with which to sell pro pool to the pool playing public. Although they made numerous other mistakes, I praised the IPT for selecting 8-ball as its discipline. Darren Appleton also attempted to have an 8-ball tour called the World Pool Series, and I gave some financial support to the enterprise, but that tour proved unsustainable and no longer exists.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...,

ESPN just showed the results of a darts tournament. Now I'm not going to get into the darts, cornhole thing, but I will say that if the heads of these well run, well funded and very expense events cant figure out that they need to make some in-roads to the international media then there's some real disconnect in ownership.

I don't know if they have tried, but if they all came together and simply said.., can you please show the results of our championships, please!! Just show the finial shot or two like they do in cornhole, darts,drone racing, bowling, fishing...,

Just a mention in your 24 hour around the clock reporting that you charge a ungodly amount for on DirecTV!! Please!!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren Appleton also attempted to have an 8-ball tour called the World Pool Series, and I gave some financial support to the enterprise, but that tour proved unsustainable and no longer exists.

why did it fail? i remember watching one, held in the US, and there were almost no american top pro participants. the production was good, i liked the WPS.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
why did it fail? i remember watching one, held in the US, and there were almost no american top pro participants. the production was good, i liked the WPS.

Yeah I really liked the WPS. I love 8 ball and they had some awesome matches. Good commentating. I don’t know why these ventures don’t make it but I’m glad there are people that keep trying. Pro pool in America is not thriving but it seems to be holding on.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
The premiere tournament event in pool is the US Open 9 Ball promoted by Matchroom. The fact that this is still technically the "world championship" doesn't mean anything to me.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
are you sure? :rolleyes:
Sure about what? The link? What? Have no clue what you're tryin to say here. I've contacted Gre on numerous occasions and he always responds with a decent answer. One of the BIG problems with all WPA events is the actual running of the event is pretty much left up to the on-site promoter, in this case the QBSF. I've tried to contact them a few times with zero success. If you or anyone else contacts Gre i would make it clear that your message is for the promoters as much as the WPA.

Last edited:

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
WPA is the biggest joke and most worthless organization in all of sports. How it is still in existence and the players and promoters continue to give it any credibility, is beyond me.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone had to say it, might as well have been Watchez. I get that it's important to have someone sanction "World Championships" but the WPA has done next to nothing accept get their cut for years. At this point, maybe we would just be better off without any World Championship tourneys. When the US Open is more prestigious than a WC what's really the point anyway?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone had to say it, might as well have been Watchez. I get that it's important to have someone sanction "World Championships" but the WPA has done next to nothing accept get their cut for years. At this point, maybe we would just be better off without any World Championship tourneys. When the US Open is more prestigious than a WC what's really the point anyway?
The level of prestige really depends on where you live. In many pool playing countries a WC carries far more weight than a US Open win. I kinda agree with you but pool is played worldwide now and a WC will always be big win regardless of where its played.