Need help buying first cue

Caton160

Registered
So I'm looking to buy my first cue - looking to spend around $100-$150. I'm about a level 5 and I like a 21oz cue. Anyone who can recommend some cues or sites to buy decent cues, I'd really appreciate it!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm looking to buy my first cue - looking to spend around $100-$150. I'm about a level 5 and I like a 21oz cue. Anyone who can recommend some cues or sites to buy decent cues, I'd really appreciate it!

If you play in a pool room you may want o see what they have in the rack used or maybe a player in the room has for sale. I can tell you, you are going to own a lot of cues in your life time but the first will be one you always remember. I always like used cues that I can try out and maybe when I want to trade up can get decent money out of it. If you order a cue from the net it is a "pig in a poke" many times and worth like half what you paid the day you get it. No need to really be in a hurry. I am curious why you like 21oz?

If you are going by the weight stamped on the cues you are playing off the rack you need to check the actual weight to be sure. Also a custom cues is different then a house cue. They are often slimmer in the butts and have a different balance. Custom cues are often more forward balanced then a house cue and a liter weight may feel like it weighs more then it does. That is why I say you want to be able to play with the cue to see if it is what you really like. Just some food for thought.

Caton160

Registered
If you play in a pool room you may want o see what they have in the rack used or maybe a player in the room has for sale. I can tell you, you are going to own a lot of cues in your life time but the first will be one you always remember. I always like used cues that I can try out and maybe when I want to trade up can get decent money out of it. If you order a cue from the net it is a "pig in a poke" many times and worth like half what you paid the day you get it. No need to really be in a hurry. I am curious why you like 21oz?

If you are going by the weight stamped on the cues you are playing off the rack you need to check the actual weight to be sure. Also a custom cues is different then a house cue. They are often slimmer in the butts and have a different balance. Custom cues are often more forward balanced then a house cue and a liter weight may feel like it weighs more then it does. That is why I say you want to be able to play with the cue to see if it is what you really like. Just some food for thought.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. The only reason I like the 21oz is because that's all I've played with - At the pool hall I played at, there were only 21oz that weren't warped! What would you recommend as a good weight for a cue? I'm sure it's subjective but what is the most common. Also, what should I look for in a cue before buying it?

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suggest you go post this in the Wanted/For Sale Section and see what hits you get. I am sure you will get quite a few offers of cues, if you are not sure what you want, thats more difficult, but I doubt it will take you long to get used to whatever new cue you pick up. For $150 from a store or online store, I think I would be looking at Players, Lucasi, Viking they are all good cues for the money. Check e-bay and your local Pawn Shops too they have been know to have good bargains.

But first I would try here, in all honesty I don't think you will pick up anything better anywhere than here on AZB.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can tell you that the average weight for cues these days is about 18 to 19.5 oz - with 19 being a major theme.
With the fast cloth that is prevalent these days, a 21 oz cue may make you spend a lot of time "holding back" your stroke. That can lead to hesitancy & doesn't lend to accuracy.
Best of luck!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seyberts has brand new plain Mc Dermott cues for 169.00 and free shipping , they also have closeouts that are new with free shipping over 49.00

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
As already stated you can't go by the weight stamped on a house cue.

You can't judge a cue by the weight only. 2 cues weighting the same will feel different depending on the balance point. If it is butt heavy it will tend to feel heavier than one that is more forward balanced.

McDermotts are good starter cues. They allow you to adjust the weight with a weight bolt but doing this also changes the balance point. Don't get hung up on the weight.

Tip diameter will also make a cue feel heavier. If it is too big it the cue will seem heavier and clunkier. If it is too thin it may seem to be too butt heavy.
Shaft taper also makes a cue feel different.

You have to try a cue and go by overall feel, and sound when striking the cue ball.

Cues that are a little under 13 mm tip daimeterand around 19 oz tend to be the most popular.

Then after you purchase the cue you will need a case to carry it in. For a cue in that price range it doesn't have to be expensive.

Don't be in a rush to buy one. Go to the PH and try a few. It appears as if you are playing in a league so talk to the other players about their cue. It is a great way to meet them and most are more than willing to help.

Billiard Warehouse, AZ Billiard store, Muellers are all good sights. Ryan that makes RAT cues and operates out of Muellers makes good cues for a decent price.

Last edited:

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
balance is more important than weight

also keep in mind most production cues are weight adjustable, so you can change it later if you want

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I can tell you that the average weight for cues these days is about 18 to 19.5 oz - with 19 being a major theme.
With the fast cloth that is prevalent these days, a 21 oz cue may make you spend a lot of time "holding back" your stroke. That can lead to hesitancy & doesn't lend to accuracy.
Best of luck!

I respectfully disagree. One can play good pool with any weight cue (usually available in the 15 to 25 oz range) so long as it feels good to them.