No Boycott of U.S. Open

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
All I care about is that the championship will be held and the best players will be there.

Thx to Dennis Walsh for helping to get it figured out.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Off-topic question:
Is there going to be any live streaming of the TV table? Is it covered by ESPN? (I live in europe btw)

I believe it will be streamed by Accu-Stats (PPV). Same arrangement as last year as far as I know.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Usaully the payouts are adjusted by a percentage of total entrys divided by 256. Or, approximately 25% reduciton of the prize fund will mean a 25% reduction of all payouts.

The $50,000 added (based on a full field of 256) will be reduced by 25% or $6,250.00 to $43,750

1st place prize of $40,000 would be reduced to $30,000.

Just guessing.

25% of $50K is $12,500 so the adjusted added money would be $37,500.

If that's how it works.

zerowins

Banned
Did Barry reverse his decision about not paying former winners that are ABP members into the event or will he be paying the entries ?

geocheren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
congrats to the players and to barry for moving forward and reaching a compromise. the next step the players should do is promote themselves and promote the game. the pro-am event at masters is just a small start, they can/should hold pro-am events all over the NE to promote the US Open. Pros located in the east coast should be promoting that event, ie sell tickets or convince players to play, or setup or run a pro-am event. I remember a few years ago Amsterdam Billiards had a US Open warm up tournament. If these events are successful, maybe they should use it as a qualifier event, ie the room pays for a spot, winner of the tournament wins the paid spot and expenses, but they would have to do this months in advance.
As further ideas go, they should setup booths at big events, such as Vegas, SBE, etc and give out info on Pros that are closest to amateurs incase they need consulting or lessons, or booking for a trick shot event, or other charitable gatherings.

sde

Silver Member
When will the ABP be imposing seeding on the promotors?

What did they learn? They looked like a$$es but they got what they wanted, all except maybe the seeding. They probably think they are geniuses.

Glad it's over, there are enough soap operas on tv to get our fix :). Now back to playing pool, yay.

Dave

According to Shawn Putnam the "US Open has been seeded for years".
US Open has been seeded for years and there are always great matches to watch ! In the first two rounds, people are at work all day and can't get to the Open so they would miss the great matches if two champions had to play first round ! Seeding is great if you are a fan ! also if your a player that has worked hard and paid his dues like a Mike Dechaine. (perfect example)
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3098629&postcount=41

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For sure! That might have more tough shots executed than the entire tournament. ;)

All kidding aside, this is very good news, and I am happy for Barry, et al., as well as the ABP members. :cool:

JAM: Any chance that Keith will show up this year? He is my favorite player.

BTW, I assume that's you in your Avatar. If so, you're smokin' HOT!!

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
The ABP website still says the aren't going. Should take a minute to update their stuff.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the press releases after the boycott was lifted stated that players should pay their entry to Barry, Rodney, or Archer (and maybe someone else, I forgot).

All I see is this...

"Hey, I paid my money to Johnny"
"I didn't get a receipt, Rodney just took my money"
"He didn't pay me, he must be mistaken"
"There are more players than entry fees"

etc etc etc

It seems to me to be a horrible decision to allow people who are not part of the tournament staff to collect entry fees.

And I'm not even implying dishonesty, simply the logistics and responsibility of collecting money should be in the hands of the promoters.

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No more us open for me

First, I am glad that the APB players will be playing in Berry’s US Open. I will no longer be going to events where the APB has sanctioned the event. They handled the situation as bad as anyone could have imagined. The APB actions made pool look bad in the eye’s of the public. I will keep going to tournaments Seminole, Derby, Philippines and others, because I love pool. Berry, I am glad the prize funds will be paid out at the tournament. Berry good luck and I wish you success with the US Open, Barney.

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First, I am glad that the APB players will be playing in Berry’s US Open. I will no longer be going to events where the APB has sanctioned the event. They handled the situation as bad as anyone could have imagined. The APB actions made pool look bad in the eye’s of the public. I will keep going to tournaments Seminole, Derby, Philippines and others, because I love pool. Berry, I am glad the prize funds will be paid out at the tournament. Berry good luck and I wish you success with the US Open, Barney.

I am sorry but your post makes no sense whatsoever, this was resolved between Barry and the ABP, every bit of support is needed. As for it being a 'sanctioned' ABP event, it will only be the same as the other events you name, what's the difference? There isn't one, is there?