Bad Problem with John Showman, (Cue Stolen)

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea

At one time I would have agreed with you. At one time a Showman was high on my list of must acquires, now do to multiple reasons I just don't see it that way. Every bad story, post, and transaction, hurts not only the cue maker but also his resale and reputation.

I for one have removed Showman from my list of must acquires and feel that many people who once would have given a deposit and waited years to get a cue now would never do so. Mr Showman is imploding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with you, I for one will never purchase a Showman cue. Some people on here no me and my grandfather have some really nice cues. I told grandpa this story last nite on the phone, and he really didn't believe me that Mr. Showman wouldn't give Mike his cue back.

Mike I truely hope you get your cue back ASAP hopefully Mr. Showman will come to his senses very soon.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Showman the money...

My two cents, FWIW....

Once the problems started, enough with the emails and phone calls... a $7K cue
is worth a plane trip and hotel to get it back. Just sayin'....

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My two cents, FWIW....

Once the problems started, enough with the emails and phone calls... a $7K cue
is worth a plane trip and hotel to get it back. Just sayin'....

I hear what you are saying, and it is easy for anyone to say what someone else should have done AFTERWARDS.

We all have busy lives and we tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt, I know I do.

So IMO, "just sayin' " I can see the trap the OP had, and I was in the same boat.

Ken

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I think there's a trap that high end custom cue makers can and often do fall into.

Let's say the CM makes 4 cues per month, and his wait list is about 6 months. Each month he takes 4 new orders, and takes a 50% deposit. Also, each month he delivers 4 cues, so basically, he gets paid for 4 cues each month. As long as he builds 4 cues every month, and gets 4 new orders, his monthly income is based on 4 cues per month, and he owes roughly 24 cues to be debt free.

Now, let's say his demand increases, and he's taking 8 orders per month. Now, he's getting extra money. If he doesn't put it in the bank, and most of them don't, then he's falling into the trap. It's not long and the wait time to get one of his cues is several years, which means that the new orders stop coming in. Now, all of a sudden, he owes cues for years, and only has half his normal income to look forward to until those orders are filled or the new orders start coming back in.

I don't know if this is what happened to John, but it certainly could have.

It's a bad situation, any way you look at it. It's just another reason that, especially to those without the right experience, running a business can be very tough at times.

Royce

Are you implying that someone involved in the pool and billiards industry is fiscally irresponsible!?

Lol. It really is kind of amazing how few people lack even a minute amount of common sense when it comes to business. There is a reason guys like Durbin and others are successful. They don't take more than x# of orders a year and are honest about how much time it takes to build. A lot of mid level/smaller cue builders make their money on repairs and tips if they have enough customers which in the scheme of things takes away from the cue making side.

I would much rather have a cuemaker overestimate the time it would take to finish a cue than underestimate and if he finishes early then great.

Inventory management, understanding true net income based on time and basic ROI would be great things for these guys to learn.

To the OP. You are COMPLETELY within your rights to post what you have. I would personally take legal action. This case isn't like what I described above because we have passed the point of flakey. I hope it all works out for you.

To the clowns that disapprove of posts like this, have you ever skipped over a restaurant or any product because of a review? If so then you are a hypocrite. Even worse if you have a business that is reviewed and don't understand this.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear what you are saying, and it is easy for anyone to say what someone else should have done AFTERWARDS.

We all have busy lives and we tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt, I know I do.

So IMO, "just sayin' " I can see the trap the OP had, and I was in the same boat.

Ken

I've been in the same boat as well. Yes, life is crazy busy, IMO sometimes you have to go and get it... been there, done that. It's on John to make it right... I hope Quality gets it back!... and hope he got a receipt for the $700.

RBC

Deceased
Are you implying that someone involved in the pool and billiards industry is fiscally irresponsible!?

Lol. It really is kind of amazing how few people lack even a minute amount of common sense when it comes to business. There is a reason guys like Durbin and others are successful. They don't take more than x# of orders a year and are honest about how much time it takes to build. A lot of mid level/smaller cue builders make their money on repairs and tips if they have enough customers which in the scheme of things takes away from the cue making side.

I would much rather have a cuemaker overestimate the time it would take to finish a cue than underestimate and if he finishes early then great.

Inventory management, understanding true net income based on time and basic ROI would be great things for these guys to learn.

To the OP. You are COMPLETELY within your rights to post what you have. I would personally take legal action. This case isn't like what I described above because we have passed the point of flakey. I hope it all works out for you.

To the clowns that disapprove of posts like this, have you ever skipped over a restaurant or any product because of a review? If so then you are a hypocrite. Even worse if you have a business that is reviewed and don't understand this.

Drop The Rock

I pretty much agree, but there's one thing that I think most people don't realize.

Durbin, like you mentioned, as well as many others like him, don't build cues for a living. They have business' in other areas that are their primary source of income. Those other business' are also what has given them the experiences to see the pitfalls coming and the financial depth to do things that others may not be able to.

I can't say that I'm familiar with all of those situations where things have gone bad. But, I have been involved with some and all of those were situations pretty much the same. No real previous business, limited resources, and they were depending on it to support their families.

Royce

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that Showman will never post to this thread. There is no valid excuse for his failure to finish the project or return my cue after I demanded that he do so by my certified letter of 4/7/15. Let's not forget, I own the cue and have the right to have any other cue maker on the planet work on it if I see fit. I wanted my friend Eric Crisp to complete the project when Showman failed to do it, but Showman had the audicity to tell me that he could not let that happen. Who does this contract breacher and liar think he is telling me that he cannot let Eric work on my cue? Nobody should ever trust Showman again or put a penny in his pocket. He is taking a serious beat down in this thread and deserves all of it and more, so please pile on.

I will bet you $9000 Showman will post :)

(kidding but it would be just the move if the "bet" was serious.)

I think there's a trap that high end custom cue makers can and often do fall into.

Let's say the CM makes 4 cues per month, and his wait list is about 6 months. Each month he takes 4 new orders, and takes a 50% deposit. Also, each month he delivers 4 cues, so basically, he gets paid for 4 cues each month. As long as he builds 4 cues every month, and gets 4 new orders, his monthly income is based on 4 cues per month, and he owes roughly 24 cues to be debt free.

Now, let's say his demand increases, and he's taking 8 orders per month. Now, he's getting extra money. If he doesn't put it in the bank, and most of them don't, then he's falling into the trap. It's not long and the wait time to get one of his cues is several years, which means that the new orders stop coming in. Now, all of a sudden, he owes cues for years, and only has half his normal income to look forward to until those orders are filled or the new orders start coming back in.

I don't know if this is what happened to John, but it certainly could have.

It's a bad situation, any way you look at it. It's just another reason that, especially to those without the right experience, running a business can be very tough at times.

Royce

I agree 100% have done the math and come to the same conclusion. I am owed several cases by the young case maker Chaz something who got himself into trouble by spending all the deposit money on supplies and forgot that he needs monthly income to live on.

Still, John Showman put the damn cue in the booth and refinish it. Not that effing hard. Get this ONE burden off your plate the easy way and be done with it. Mike is pissed but he IS giving you the easy out here.

Those of you reading this who are John's friends step up and help him. Go to his shop and mail the cue if you need to.

I never said anyone should send him money or order a cue. I said his workmanship is among the best there is and that he is one of only a few that could control his future.. If he wanted to. Sadly it looks as though he's not taking advantage of THAT. As for you thinking his indiscretions will affect the market for his cues I think your sadly mistaken... His work will ALWAYS be top tier regardless and with not many examples leaving the shop the value will only increase. It may be unfortunate for some to accept into their own morality but quality is quality is quality.... Don't matter what the media or product. And as such will always be desirable. In fact if Mike can get this cue back with the work completed as asked it'd be worth MORE than 7k regardless of the story(s) attached...

That's not necessarily true. How many guys out there can afford a $7000 cue. Hundreds? Anyone who thinks (not saying YOU do) that this doesn't have a direct effect on Showman's potential customers is completely mistaken. I could afford his cues. All of them in fact, lol. But I wouldn't ever own one of his cues, even for free. To take that a step further, I'd encourage every buyer/collector I know to NEVER touch anything of his. And with guys out there like Ernie, Tony and Barry (amongst many more), why would you? Even buying his already produced cues on the secondary market helps him (by staying relevant and in demand). JUST DONT HELP HIM. HE DOESNT DESERVE IT!!

Last edited:

Ken

Well, to be accurate.....it's not "afterwards". As it stands, it's "currently". And there's no way I'd let anyone steal $7000 from me. At this point, I'd drop everything to pursue my pound of flesh, out of principle. YMMV. That Mike is an attorney, I do fault him for not taking action, sooner.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
That's not necessarily true. How many guys out there can afford a $7000 cue. Hundreds? Anyone who thinks (not saying YOU do) that this doesn't have a direct effect on Showman's potential customers is completely mistaken. I could afford his cues. All of them in fact, lol. But I wouldn't ever own one of his cues, even for free. To take that a step further, I'd encourage every buyer/collector I know to NEVER touch anything of his. And with guys out there like Ernie, Tony and Barry (amongst many more), why would you? Even buying his already produced cues on the secondary market helps him (by staying relevant and in demand). JUST DONT HELP HIM. HE DOESNT DESERVE IT!!

In theory. But where there's money to be made, items like this will always be in demand by the rest that can afford them who do want them. Just bcause YOU won't buy has no relevance unfortunately. There are many artists and craftsman through history whose actions during life have been suspect but their wares were/are so exceptional that "shun" never materializes. This is prabably going to be the case here. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out to be sure but IMO there will be no decrease...

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, to be accurate.....it's not "afterwards". As it stands, it's "currently". And there's no way I'd let anyone steal $7000 from me. At this point, I'd drop everything to pursue my pound of flesh, out of principle. YMMV. That Mike is an attorney, I do fault him for not taking action, sooner.

Yes, I'm guilty of cutting Showman too much slack. I probably should have escalated things in April 2015, but I truly believed he was going to ship the cue shortly after my certified letter of 4/7/15 and did not want to do anything at that time to upset him while he was allegedly working on my cue. Now I don't care how upset this thread is going to make him. I've lost my patience and am determined to get my cue back, and make no mistake about it, I will get my cue back.

Last edited:

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The original title of the thread was better.
Why the change?

One of the mods sent me a PM and explained why AZ changed the title of this thread. I liked the original title better, but am fine with the change and happy that AZ is keeping the thread up and running. Thanks AZ!

Last edited:

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which reflects more to the characters of the buyers, than the cuemaker, IMHO.

JV

Completely. And I'm not saying any different. While Showman has proven himself to be untrustworthy and perhaps a criminal, I think we all know that there are PLENTY of people, both on AZ and outside of AZ, who will roll the dice and hope they don't get screwed over because they see a chance to make a quick, easy flip/profit.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Completely. And I'm not saying any different. While Showman has proven himself to be untrustworthy and perhaps a criminal, I think we all know that there are PLENTY of people, both on AZ and outside of AZ, who will roll the dice and hope they don't get screwed over because they see a chance to make a quick, easy flip/profit.

My guess is showman sales will be tougher to move for a profit at least not kind of coins one would hope for! especially when no newer cues coming out of the shop and next none in past 5 years!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Yep. I would buy another one in a second. Sold mine at SBE trying to pick up a Barry i sold years ago. Ended up with a different Barry.
His work is truly top-notch.

Not saying i agree with whats going on, but i can separate the 2

I also have cues that have been with a guy for 7 YEARS

Last edited:

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No-showman

Screw litigation. I must say, if he had my 7k cue with all that transpired and make good chances given it would have been time for a good ole 'shop drop in' long ago.

GL Mike.

-Kat

Worst_7_ever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the mods sent me a PM and explained why AZ changed the title of this thread. I liked the original title better, but am fine with the change and happy that AZ is keeping the thread up and running. Thanks AZ!

Has anyone who knows him personally reached out to this scumbag? I mean I don't see how its possible for someone he knows personally hasn't read this thread. Usually the guys with all the excuses come in public and rehashes said excuses.Sometimes there true, some times not, but they are almost always willing to post about it. Esp when they rely on the pool world to make a living. So, which one of his buddies is gonna speak up?

Quality Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone who knows him personally reached out to this scumbag? I mean I don't see how its possible for someone he knows personally hasn't read this thread. Usually the guys with all the excuses come in public and rehashes said excuses.Sometimes there true, some times not, but they are almost always willing to post about it. Esp when they rely on the pool world to make a living. So, which one of his buddies is gonna speak up?

Let's not forget that by Showman's email of 4/7/15 in response to my certified demand letter of 4/7/15, Showman admitted that "Theres no excuse for not being done yet." That was six months ago, so anyone who wants to conjure up excuses, you are wasting your time and the excuses will fall on deaf ears.

Please keep posting to this thread. I for one am going to do everything I can to keep this thread on page 1.

Last edited: