Ugly sneaky starter cue for someone

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The first fullsplice I ever made. I'm continuing my ruthless purge of all extra items and found this.

Needs a tip.

Pay shipping and give it to a player who needs a cue. Plays solid, micarta ferrule, 12.6mm

Best story REGARDING A PLAYER IN NEED before Monday morning gets it.

Just a hideous test piece that I fiddled with. Red oak and sapele. Nice sound and feel.

Attachments

• IMG_20160108_113044.jpg
    IMG_20160108_113044.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,258
Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The first fullsplice I ever made. I'm continuing my ruthless purge of all extra items and found this.

Needs a tip.

Pay shipping and give it to a player who needs a cue. Plays solid, micarta ferrule, 12.6mm

Best story before Monday morning gets it.

Just a hideous test piece that I fiddled with. Red oak and sapele. Nice sound and feel.

It might be just me, but I don't think that cue looks ugly at all. I have all the cues I need and live abroad, plus I've given every deserving player I know of one of my unwanted cues allready:D, so I won't be applying. I think it's a great thing you are doing!

Someone will get a really nice cue. Hope they can put it to good use.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Needs a tip.

How much is the shipping? My friend Monty wants to have his own cue? Might be a nice pay it forward...

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It might be just me, but I don't think that cue looks ugly at all. I have all the cues I need and live abroad, plus I've given every deserving player I know of one of my unwanted cues allready:D, so I won't be applying. I think it's a great thing you are doing!

Someone will get a really nice cue. Hope they can put it to good use.

I'm with you, I don't think it looks bad at all. I have plenty of cues to shoot with so I'm not going to put my name in the hat but I really hope someone really appreciates this cue and treats it right.

You're a good dude Ideologist

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That cue should belong to me....
Sapele weighs 640 kilograms per cubic meter....not that far from ebony.

Soooo....Sapele is a lot denser than it looks...
....so am I....:eek:

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
story

I will go by the rules.

I was in a bar one night when 2 guys were arguing. All of a sudden - one of them picks up the cue ball and throws it as hard as he can! It hit the other guy in the forehead. The noise it made was sickening! The dude that got hit went down exactly like one of those buildings that you see them do controlled demolitions to from the bottom. He just dropped straight down as if someone had made his legs vanish. I chugged the last of my bottle of beer and grabbed my buddy off the barstool beside me. I'm dragging him to the door - he says, "What are you doing? " I said "Getting out of here - I I think he just killed that guy!" As we were driving off - there were sirens and lights everywhere...

daxe

custom cues & repair
Silver Member
Great looking cue and a great gester to give away to a newby, I have made and givin away dozens of cues as well as free tip replacements.:thumbup:
Dan Axe

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I will go by the rules.

I was in a bar one night when 2 guys were arguing. All of a sudden - one of them picks up the cue ball and throws it as hard as he can! It hit the other guy in the forehead. The noise it made was sickening! The dude that got hit went down exactly like one of those buildings that you see them do controlled demolitions to from the bottom. He just dropped straight down as if someone had made his legs vanish. I chugged the last of my bottle of beer and grabbed my buddy off the barstool beside me. I'm dragging him to the door - he says, "What are you doing? " I said "Getting out of here - I I think he just killed that guy!" As we were driving off - there were sirens and lights everywhere...

That's a pretty gripping story, but I meant about a player in need.

Though I guess that guy could use some help.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

Needs a tip.

I've owned way uglier cues than this one.
Your cue wouldn't even place in the top 10 in some of the ugliest cue contests that I've won

Last year I sold a custom cue that was so ugly...the buyer shattered it a week after he bought it.
The cue played real good, and the guy still shattered it.

:smile:

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I got a young guy that I play with. He was using an old cheapo cue that has been around for way too long. Eventually the pin was getting real loose and he had me take a look at it. It had some big cracks around the joint and the thing is just unrepairable. He has been looking for something to get started playing again. I offer him the use of mine, but he always refuses since he doesnt want anything to happen to mine if he dropped it or something. He loves to play any chance he gets even if he is using bar cues lately.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I use a Canadian made product for Old School finishes. Jump cues and Snooker.

Dr. Wood Well's Elixir. Should the lucky recipient want to buy a small bottle, I can tell you that a light sand on this one and a few wipes of Wood Well will make you most happy. Even can skip the sand paper and give it a clean with alcohol.

All it needs would be a couple of coats of this magic. It dries quick and then you can use ordinary shaft wax on the butt to give it a much nicer sheen.

BTW, Danny was most pleased, well pleased as Punch with his new cue. I didn't have my phone but will take a couple of pics next time that we are playing in the same bar. I play in a different League this year so our paths don't cross as much, but he plays Tues Vegas VNEA and I play Wed Molson, which is CPA Sanctioned.

The extra shaft is a smaller diameter than the butt. But, I wrote down the dimension of the collar. I have a Schon to refinish and a bit more work that needs to be done first.

I am going to put on a small joint collar, smaller in width and see if I can't bring the taper down so as not to make it look too noticeable.

I made sure that Danny knew this was one of the Pay It Forward Cues that we do on occasion.

"This is mine, mine to keep, really"? Yes Danny, it's all yours, just don't put it in a Pawn Shop ok. I was teasin him. I doubt that he would.

He says Thank You for the Cue also. I would say that if anyone were to ever receive a Most Improved Player Award, it might go to him. He was almost a Hack a few years ago. Now, he can keep a person on their toes.

I was lucky on the first cue so best of luck to the person who gets this one.

Last edited:

ronlovespool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been getting a friend of mine into pool, he barely has any practice but he has a natural talent for shots. I took him to a weekly tournament, there was 26 in the tournament and he took 3rd. He's interested in getting his own stick and this would be perfect for him to start. Having his own stick is what he needs to take his game to the next level.

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aloha

Just a story for you.

I'm down at the Palace waiting for the tournament to get started, watching the players practice. When I see this strapping young fellow shooting across the room. Not playing great but the cue he is holding is a fine piece of work. I knew right away what it was. About twenty minutes goes by and the fellow is setting up on the rail, so a meander over and ask if I could take a look at his cue.

We get to talking and I'm foundling this cue like a teenager in the back of a limo after prom. He can tell by the look in my eye that I really don't want to hand it back.

"So I just have to ask, would you take $1200 cash right now for this cue?" I said in my best schmoozing voice.

He just looks at me as if I had two heads "There's no way I can sell you that cue."
"I still gotta play in the tournament!".

"Ok I understand, but I would really like this cue, let me know if you change your mind." As I reluctantly handed the cue back to him.

Later that night after the tournament, I'm playing snooker on one of the 6x12s when here comes this guy with the downest look I have ever seen on a human, you want to talk about hat in hand, this guy had it.

"Do you still want to buy my cue?" He says softly over the dim of the music and clacking balls.

"Sure, I would love to buy it, but I will only give you $900 for it now, take it or leave it."

With his tail between his legs he gently pulls out the cue and hands it to me. Come to find out he got involved with a poker game after the tournament and lost his ass. He said his wife was going to kill him and he needed the money.

I walked out that night felling like a million dollars with my new to me Schon limited that was well worth over $2000. Later sold the cue for $2500 and never looked back. If there is a person in need it would definetly be that guy.

Aloha

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a friend who is a baseball player recently fell into a giant pile of bread dough. no way can he get out. as the machine keeps going round and round and kneading the dough.
the pool stick can be used to jam the machine so he can crawl out.

so my story fits your requirements. namely "a player who is in knead, of a cue".
spelling not listed as a required condition.

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
Not much of a story but here goes. My 21 yr old son is in college, paying his own way, with me buying his books each semester. He wants to play on our APA league team this spring and needs a cue to call his own and care after. I already donated him an unused cue case of mine. It would be in good hands and looked after lovingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue

Now that I understand what you meant - this one will be simple. A girl at my pool hall had her cue stolen. Someone walked out with it. It was a McDermott and sentimental. She asks me a couple times a week if I have found it - or if it has been returned. I'm pretty sure it's not coming back.