Felt and rail help

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone, been here a while and haven't posted in a while either. My brother owns a table (not a high dollar table) but after 15 years, the rails have FINALLY had enough. Well here is my question though...

He has decided he wanted either Mali, Gorina, and Simonis. I'm trying to talk him into the Simonis 860, but he generally goes the "cheaper" route. Gorina makes one that was stain resistant I told him we should think about too. Now on the rails, BOTH of us are lost. Can someone give me a good suggestion on some rails that are good but not outrageous price wise?

Here is why my brother is cheap:

We do NOT shoot every week. At most this table is used between Friday night and Sunday nights with 4 to 5 of us playing at any time in that time table. Maybe during the week here and there I will play my old man once a week at most on it, and when school is out we are liable to shoot a good amount during the week

So what is everyone's choice on the felt/rail combos? Like I said above this table will NOT see heavy use, and matter of fact the felt still looks pretty good when you consider it's the only felt that has ever been on that table. I'm still hoping to talk him into the Gorina or Simonis cloth, but even I don't know much of crap about rails. So I would love to hear your suggestions on a cost effective rail but one that is known to hold up too.

Thank you all for your time!!!

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone, been here a while and haven't posted in a while either. My brother owns a table (not a high dollar table) but after 15 years, the rails have FINALLY had enough. Well here is my question though...

He has decided he wanted either Mali, Gorina, and Simonis. I'm trying to talk him into the Simonis 860, but he generally goes the "cheaper" route. Gorina makes one that was stain resistant I told him we should think about too. Now on the rails, BOTH of us are lost. Can someone give me a good suggestion on some rails that are good but not outrageous price wise?

We do NOT shoot every week. At most this table is used between Friday night and Sunday nights with 4 to 5 of us playing at any time in that time table. Maybe during the week here and there I will play my old man once a week at most on it, and when school is out we are liable to shoot a good amount during the week

So what is everyone's choice on the felt/rail combos? Like I said above this table will NOT see heavy use, and matter of fact the felt still looks pretty good when you consider it's the only felt that has ever been on that table. I'm still hoping to talk him into the Gorina or Simonis cloth, but even I don't know much of crap about rails. So I would love to hear your suggestions on a cost effective rail but one that is known to hold up too.

The house man at our local hall says Gorina is the best. Our favorite snooker table has Simonis 860 and I love it but he says Gorina will hold up better. As for the rails I don't have a clue. What part of AL are you from?

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
If he doesn't want to spring for Simonis them maybe Championship? Mali or Gorina aren't ideal, just saying.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Championship is closest you can get to Simonis and 60 percent of the price. Black Diamond rails are very good and much less than Artemis and other premium rails.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you talking about actually replacing the rubber on the rails or just the cloth?? As far as cloth on the rails, I have Simonis 760 myself.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cushion Brands

Artemis - used by Diamond

Astro Pro - used by Gabriels (used to use Artemis) - also has another name starts with K- used to be owned by Michelin, now Japanese.

Northern - the brand that is on top of the line snooker tables - even Joy, Star, and Shender, Chinese table manufacturers, use the stuff.

Considering the cost of the rubber vs longevity and uniformity, cheaper ain't cheaper. :D

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Ask around your area for a mechanic. Don't use any from the local swim pool store that uses for set up of their tables. A good mechanic will know what to use and should install what is best and what they use. Sometimes getting something on your own and asking a mechanic to install doesn't work out as you may not know what profile cushions to get. Sometimes they do not know how to install the cloth the way the manufacturer recommends. Then check out their work if possible.

Here is a tip or suggestion. If there are 4 to 5 playing very week have everyone put $1 or 2 per week into a table fund. 5 X $2 amounts to $10 per week and that could add up to $520 a year. A dollar or 2 per week isn't a lot to ask anyone. Even at a dollar there will be enough in a few years to recover when required.

🎱

Corvette Alan

Registered Screwball
Here is a tip or suggestion. If there are 4 to 5 playing very week have everyone put $1 or 2 per week into a table fund. 5 X $2 amounts to $10 per week and that could add up to $520 a year. A dollar or 2 per week isn't a lot to ask anyone. Even at a dollar there will be enough in a few years to recover when required.

🎱

What he said. ^^^^^^^^^ If it were my bud and I was playin' there regularily i would gladly donate.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simonis 860 is the best. I actually played quite much with Gorina at the past and that was super slick+fast and it had long lasting. But still I would take 860... It is just perfect for pool.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a table at your home , you want to play on it , but you want to save 60 dollars on the cloth that under the conditions you are talking about should last several years.
There comes a point when saving money is not really accomplishing anything.
Why don't you guys chip in the extra money and get the better cloth and rails for the privilege of playing on it?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
The brand/make and size of table makes a difference.

For most tables though, you will be happy with ProForm 505 cloth and MBS cushions. It doesn't get any cheaper, and both play well.

If you plan to order them yourself, you can likely get them from forum members: Pooltable911 or dontlitethat

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
For what it's worth, I'm still playing on Championship cloth that was installed on my table in around 2004. It's holding up very well, and plays similarly to Simonis 760.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
One important thing to think about is if you purchase the cloth and cushions your self and want a mechanic to install them problems could result.

If there are defects found during the installation you will be responsible for any costs incurred. Things that could cause problems is the length of cloth being wrong even though it was right and the mechanic messed up. Defect in material, and etc.

If you give the whole package to the mechanic there is no issue as it will be their material.

🎱

tommyhill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Find a mechanic, ask that person for their advice and let them do the work. personally I would go with simonis and a good k-66 rubber. Meullers sells a good one.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Couple of more beers and that table will be just fine:thumbup:

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The house man at our local hall says Gorina is the best. Our favorite snooker table has Simonis 860 and I love it but he says Gorina will hold up better. As for the rails I don't have a clue. What part of AL are you from?

I'm in Talladega.

Really its just me and my brother and his two kids. I've offered to chip in a good amount but he ignores me......lol

As to the other questions it is an 8 foot table. We are replacing the rails (3 are dead) and the felt as well.

Thanks for all the help!

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Championship is closest you can get to Simonis and 60 percent of the price. Black Diamond rails are very good and much less than Artemis and other premium rails.
Championship 3030 & Simonis Cloth are both excellant cloths. The price difference is only a couple bucks. I am a huge fan of the MBS cushion. Plays lights out and I have never seen a set go bad.