samsara break tip problem

jus4funbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a Samsara break tip since last June, love the tip but just had it come off for the third time. On a Huebler cue. Any thoughts? I only play twice a week and don't always use that break cue. Thanks

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I've had a Samsara break tip since last June, love the tip but just had it come off for the third time. On a Huebler cue. Any thoughts? I only play twice a week and don't always use that break cue. Thanks

What glue and prep procedure are you using? How old is the glue?

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glue age is a big one, as is having a flat ferrule face. I also like to cut them down about half way. They don't mushroom and really don't require any maintenance, so cutting them down isn't affecting the life of the tip that much. The big thing that it does help with, is on off center hits or miscues, there is a lot less shear force on a shorter tip.

jus4funbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't have equipment to do it myself anymore, so not sure what the guys using for glue, shaft looked good when tip came off all times, first time tip looked like maybe glue didn't get spread well. Second and third time no visible issue. Planning on having new cue maker in area try a new one this weekend.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ferrule you're putting the tip onto is softer than the tip. What that means is that when you do hit off center the ferrule compresses and compromises the glue bond. It's basically prying the tip off the ferrule through the force of the hit. Replace the ferrule material to something harder than the tip going on and the tip will never have a chance to pop off through force. Bad glue will cause a tip to pop off no matter the prep taken, but even the best prep can't offset material incompatability.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That doesn't matter actually. As long as the ferrule material is harder than the tip, capped or uncapped doesn't matter.

My thinking is that the ferrule is harder than the maple in the centre and that might cause problems...

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thinking is that the ferrule is harder than the maple in the centre and that might cause problems...

I'll let someone else do the in depth explanation. The gist is that all materials used for ferrules(besides the OB ferrule) is going to be harder than wood. There's different properties desired for ferrules for playing or breaking, but they're all going to be harder than wood. There's two things that matter to me for break shafts; ferrules be threaded and secured on the shaft, and never install a tip that's harder than the ferrule. Other than those two things, everything is personal preference.

But if you insist on using a capped ferrule for a break cue, there cannot be even the slightest gap between the tenon and the cap of the ferrule. Otherwise the point of that cap has been negated.

Rybord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read that Samsara recommended the Scotchweld DP 420 for installations of these tips!! Can be bought at Atlas Billiards..

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Try using epoxy for your tip. It works well for me.

Robin Snyder

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

this is what I do with white diamond tips........... they never pop off............ pin it with 1/8 phenolic rod..............

Kim

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never had a white diamond, Taom, Mezz or any other break tip than Samsara pop off.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Never had a white diamond, Taom, Mezz or any other break tip than Samsara pop off.

I had every break tip I put on pop off.... I tried every method and every glue..... after I pinned them ............... I have some on sticks for 2 years and not one has popped off.

Kim