Leather wrap conditioning

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any tips for conditioning/softening an old leather wrap? This wrap is quite old (about 15 years old) and has sat unplayed. It's a little dried out and slick. I'd like to get it a little softened up and tacky.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any tips for conditioning/softening an old leather wrap? This wrap is quite old (about 15 years old) and has sat unplayed. It's a little dried out and slick. I'd like to get it a little softened up and tacky.

You might give Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner a try. Available at lots of places including WalMart. If it doesn't work out you can always have the wrap replaced.

Rybord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can rub in a couple of light coats of neatsfoot oil or even extra Virgin light olive oil!!

Google "oil for leather" as there are oils you can buy!!

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lexol

Lexol is a great product. One of the ingredients is lanolin. Maybe put it on once a year - and you will be all set.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I'll give the Lexol a try. Really, it's not that bad. I was playing with it tonight and it actually felt pretty good. Maybe my hands were just dirty/dry/whatever when I was fiddling with it. It's my first leather wrap, so I appreciate the advice.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I recommend you just play with it, it will change on it's own. It sounds like you never 'broke it in' for lack of a better term. I found that in my experience, leather wraps felt better with age and use. I prefer a leather wrap and never had to do anything to it except play with it.
Dave