2 1/4 or 2 1/8

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For some reason been getting a more noticeable jump of the ball from the short rails
with top on the ball (2 1/4). I know I have the nosing low, just above 1 5/16,
maybe should of pitched the cushion a little more down.

Anyways, decided to get a 2 1/8 set and see how they work, the response is
reasonable, certainly playable, no jump for sure, not quite as fast, some difference with
the pockets now bigger, but don't get lazy with them there snooker bends guarding the pocket.

Is it good or bad...? food for thought on the next build, for now though, tradition is the
winner of the dart throw, highest number, one dart, gets to make the call on the game,
rules and required spoil. Now a new layer, choice of ball size.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
For some reason been getting a more noticeable jump of the ball from the short rails
with top on the ball (2 1/4). I know I have the nosing low, just above 1 5/16,
maybe should of pitched the cushion a little more down.

Anyways, decided to get a 2 1/8 set and see how they work, the response is
reasonable, certainly playable, no jump for sure, not quite as fast, some difference with
the pockets now bigger, but don't get lazy with them there snooker bends guarding the pocket.

Is it good or bad...? food for thought on the next build, for now though, tradition is the
winner of the dart throw, highest number, one dart, gets to make the call on the game,
rules and required spoil. Now a new layer, choice of ball size.

American pool balls are supposed to be 2 1/4" diameter regardless of table size. Cushion nose height is supposed to be 1 7/16" for those 2 1/4" balls so it makes sense that you would have ball hop when the nose of the cushion is an 1/8th" too low.
Besides cushion nose height there are many more critical cushion mounting specs that you might want to adhere to if you ever want a table that plays properly. Simply rolling the cushion over to obtain the proper nose height can drastically affect how a table plays.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Snooker table and an American pool table. I have ball sets of different sizes and use them on both tables...make up my own games.

One sometimes reads about different size balls reacting differently on rails. I don’t find the difference all that noticeable. This might just be my tables. I also use a Snooker cue for all billiards as I get a more controlled spin, which I use on 90% of shots.

Anyways, try a snooker cue with your smaller balls, just adds a bit of variety to the game.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
American pool balls are supposed to be 2 1/4" diameter regardless of table size. Cushion nose height is supposed to be 1 7/16" for those 2 1/4" balls so it makes sense that you would have ball hop when the nose of the cushion is an 1/8th" too low.
Besides cushion nose height there are many more critical cushion mounting specs that you might want to adhere to if you ever want a table that plays properly. Simply rolling the cushion over to obtain the proper nose height can drastically affect how a table plays.

oh yeah, I get the exactness of it all, just having the chance to tweak with it is fun, did
a lot of experimenting and caught table talk by glenn and others before the final cut,
playing that sweet spot point just below %61 +1 mark of the ball.

Was just at Jones Brothers Pool Tables, walked around many Brunswick and
Olhausen tables, had my little made up gage with me checking heights and angles
on the tables, many of the tables were within a 32nd 64th of the 1 5/16 mark,
center of the nosing too my surprise,(only one Brunswick I could see was at the 1 7/16 mark
for sure) , couldn't tell if they're 66 or 77 but, most of them were flush across the top
of the cushion/rail and what looked like 30 degrees to the table top.

Probably more unsure on what's what that works.

I'll just have to play more to figure it out :wink:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Snooker table and an American pool table. I have ball sets of different sizes and use them on both tables...make up my own games.

One sometimes reads about different size balls reacting differently on rails. I don’t find the difference all that noticeable. This might just be my tables. I also use a Snooker cue for all billiards as I get a more controlled spin, which I use on 90% of shots.

Anyways, try a snooker cue with your smaller balls, just adds a bit of variety to the game.

I was just looking at what I think you're talking about, those are tiny, my player is at .414,
but those looked smaller. ...hmmm

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
consensus seems to be favoring the smaller 2 1/8 ball,
more made bank shots + longer runs = more fun.

bought 3 of the no number sets of snooker balls, the cheap ones, for 4 ball.
had to put down the snooker markings on the table also.

now, a lucky merchant is going to sell a good set of no numbered 2 1/8 balls.
I'm not a ball collector, but dam, some things ya just gotta have. ;)

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the consensus on the 2 1/8 has faded a little,
especially since the table has gotten over it's cold.

If it was Wuhan Red, the table was not practicing self distancing.

We've come to the conclusion that with the windows open a couple 3 - 4 weeks
the table must of caught something, all better now, I'm getting the 4 1/2 lengths,
no ball jump off the cushion, smoooth, with my new 25oz. break stix.
I'd say it's in it's prime.

Discovered something else, having all these 2 1/8" balls may as well mark up the table
for snooker, then it dawned on me, that's the why for a counter, I mean, why else would
you need a counter if you have a four ball abacus that scores what balls are made?

well, turns out the abacus is good for keeping the 1'ze, 2'ze count also.

snooker.jpg

4 BALL ABACUS

4Bab.1.626.jpg

:)

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That abacus is great.

Be a great novelty item to add to the decor of my billiards room.

I have lots of Pool and Snooker ball sets. Might try making an abacus scoreboard out of them. Most of my friends and I are in the sciences. No doubt we’ll start using the abacus to keep Snooker score instead of the regular score board.

Wife keeps asking why I keep bringing home ball sets from the Thrift stores...admit its an addiction. Can’t resist ....only $10. Now I have a couple projects Lined up to use can use them for...also an excuse to bring home more balls.

One project is a 4’ x 2’ framed mosaic using billiard balls..still messing with it.

Last edited:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
:cool: I can see that.

my last trip to the thrift store wasn't very thrifty on what bangs a round a lot.