How can we Noticeably Increase our Sense of Feel and Touch in our Pool Game?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best way to increase feel is to decrease your vision.

Suddenly turn out the lights and you'll immediately get a "surge" of feel/touch" and start feeling for a wall, the light switch or just feeling for something that you may potentially guide you to safety.

Ideally you want to see the shot predominantly when standing up so that you can connect the cue ball to the object ball (I connect Center/Center or Center/Edge in my alignment).

When you go down on the shot and touch your bridge hand to the table you want to shift into the feel/touch mode. Ideally you are "feeling the shot with your eyes" at this stage.

So how can you train yourself to have more feel and touch?

The way that I do this in pool is to deliberately stand a foot taller than usual in my stance (your head should be much higher than normal).....this forces you to use more instinct!

I would recommend "playing. the ghost" (break and take ball in hand, shoot balls in rotation order) using 6 balls until you can run out over 50% of the time, then increase balls until you can do it with 9 balls (10 for champion level players).

This takes away from your ability to "see" the shot and makes it essential to feel the shot. It's great for instinct training and when you go back to your normal position you'll have more feel and touch.

I suggest doing this for an hour straight, and just accept where the balls go in a learning mode. DO NOT get frustrated if you don't "make" the shot, it's not about playing well, it's about feeling the shots better.

It helps to have good eyesight to play pool, but I've known exceptional shotmakers that win major tournaments that don't see well, but their touch is superb.

I have several other ways to increase my feel/touch and fine tune my instinct I in my 'Precision Pool Drills' do you have any suggestions, I'm always willing to learn more.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the post CJ.

I assume, when you say feel and touch you are referring to the feel and touch you feel in your grip hand as you push the cue thru the cue ball.

Thanks

John

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew a guy who said pcp made the balls look like they were on rails. That is way better than feel.

I take his word on that one.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
that's why professional players will talk about having a "feel for the pocket"

Thanks for the post CJ.

I assume, when you say feel and touch you are referring to the feel and touch you feel in your grip hand as you push the cue thru the cue ball.

Thanks

John

Yes, the feel you get in your hand and also your instinct.

What people don't realize is the instinct in pool is processed as a feel, that's why professional players will talk about having a "feel for the pocket" when they are ask about aiming. Aiming is more about connection than anything visual and once again, the feeling of connection is a.......indeed!

The Game is the Teacher

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
How the Connection System is used in aiming & shotmaking

Thanks for the post CJ.

Thanks

John

Maximizing feel and touch applies to a connection the champion players experience to account for their amazing shot making. Like I mentioned, we all have a "feel for the pocket".....which doesn't make sense unless you know how well we connect to our shots.

Here's a video that describes how the Connection System insintualtes aiming, shotmaking, AND pin point position....https://youtu.be/Q_N_Yg-f5Qc

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played in a darkened disco ;music blaring no table light allowed. I can confirm you do have to draw on focus. About all you could discern clearly was the face of the cue ball yet shots still went cleanly. Uncanny effect. I chalked it up to the lack of illusory distraction.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get out of your head and into your experience! In other words, less thinking and more acting. Just let it flow baby. :smile:

Have you ever noticed that after taking a break from pool and coming back for the first time you actually might play pretty good for awhile, until you start to think about it. When we play by "instinct" we seem to do just fine. As soon as we get in our heads we start having problems again.

My first line above is one worth remembering. It is very apropo for almost everything we do in life. It's kind of another way of saying, "stop and smell the roses along the way." We live in the present and when we go into our heads we are either reliving the past or thinking about the future. We all do this over and over again if we are honest with ourselves. That is not to say that planning ahead is a bad thing. It's more a way to fully enjoy the moments of our life while they are happening.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, the feel you get in your hand and also your instinct.

What people don't realize is the instinct in pool is processed as a feel, that's why professional players will talk about having a "feel for the pocket" when they are ask about aiming. Aiming is more about connection than anything visual and once again, the feeling of connection is a.......indeed!

The Game is the Teacher

Bingo! They are not thinking about one tip right or a half tip low. They are hitting the cue ball by 'feel' for the right spot. I've always discounted those instructional guides that say to hit the ball a tip low or a tip high or whatever. You must learn to feel where to hit the cue ball. CJ is giving it to you straight! I watched him play many times when he was at his peak and he never took much more than five seconds to get down and shoot. I could see that he had a "feel" for the game and how to hit each shot. He will tell you that he wasn't really thinking about much of anything when he got down to shoot. He 'saw' the shot and got down and made it!

Earl played the same way at his peak. He just played the game and did not dissect each shot before shooting. He could glance at the table and know exactly what he had to do and how to do it.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
pocket billiards is an ART FORM, and a way of self expression.

Bingo! They are not thinking about one tip right or a half tip low. They are hitting the cue ball by 'feel' for the right spot. I've always discounted those instructional guides that say to hit the ball a tip low or a tip high or whatever. You must learn to feel where to hit the cue ball. CJ is giving it to you straight! I watched him play many times when he was at his peak and he never took much more than five seconds to get down and shoot. I could see that he had a "feel" for the game and how to hit each shot. He will tell you that he wasn't really thinking about much of anything when he got down to shoot. He 'saw' the shot and got down and made it!

Earl played the same way at his peak. He just played the game and did not dissect each shot before shooting. He could glance at the table and know exactly what he had to do and how to do it.

That's right, you know how important it is, Jay, to have a Feel for the game, you've experienced and seen it in professional caliber players many times.

When I was a teenager my mentor and road partner Dalton Leong discussed the mental side of pool with me many times. He told me to start out thriving to "become the cueball," and feel it position itself on the table like it was actually me.

This experience led to me "becoming the table," and ultimately "becoming the game," this gave me a table sense, like a 6th sense that I've described a few times in videos.

People argue about whether pool is a game or a sport and I've always had the opinion that Pool is both, pocket billiards is an ART FORM, a way of self expression.

I teach students how to connect to the game mentally and physically through fundaments and a pre shot routine that allows them to get down on every shot as if they had already made it.....this allows the maximum rewards and urges them to reach their highest levels of performance and enjoyment for the Game.

The Game is the Teacher

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's right, you know how important it is, Jay, to have a Feel for the game, you've experienced and seen it in professional caliber players many times.

When I was a teenager my mentor and road partner Dalton Leong discussed the mental side of pool with me many times. He told me to start out thriving to "become the cueball," and feel it position itself on the table like it was actually me.

This experience led to me "becoming the table," and ultimately "becoming the game," this gave me a table sense, like a 6th sense that I've described a few times in videos.

People argue about whether pool is a game or a sport and I've always had the opinion that Pool is both, pocket billiards is an ART FORM, a way of self expression.

I teach students how to connect to the game mentally and physically through fundaments and a pre shot routine that allows them to get down on every shot as if they had already made it.....this allows the maximum rewards and urges them to reach their highest levels of performance and enjoyment for the Game.

The Game is the Teacher

I wish I had taken time to talk to Dalton when he was around Los Angeles (he hung with Brian). I saw him only as a potential rival back then, and one to be avoided because all I heard about him doing was winning. I didn't exactly duck him, but would have only played him One Pocket or Banks. He never even bothered to ask me to play. We were like ships passing in the night. Too bad, my loss.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
The best way to increase feel is to decrease your vision.

Suddenly turn out the lights and you'll immediately get a "surge" of feel/touch" and start feeling for a wall, the light switch or just feeling for something that you may potentially guide you to safety.

Good to see you here again CJ! :smile: I haven't been here in awhile and just stepped in.

Totally agree with playing in the dark! I tried that on the table at home and the first 3 shots all went in center pocket. I was enlightened. I still play (with) lights out every now & then.

Fast forward to last weekend.
I stopped at a local bar that was open,(COVID has bars/grills open & closed by county here at present), and there were 5 players on the good bar table. Everyone knows me,so no-one wanted to play me. I coaxed the owner to play and everyone loosened up a bit.
I asked the bar-girl why they were playing in the dark on the other table, and she says the light is out. I took a loss and headed over to the dark table where a few weekend bangers were playing. This table was in a corner of the bar with very little light.
At any rate, I won both games there and was surprised at how well the balls fell in their pockets. I just knew where and how hard to hit the OB and set up for the next shot. I left satisfied, and left them to play each other again.

Playing in the dark definitely has advantage.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Allen Hopkins could run racks turning his head and not watching the shot - amazing!

Good to see you here again CJ! :smile: I haven't been here in awhile and just stepped in.

Totally agree with playing in the dark! I tried that on the table at home and the first 3 shots all went in center pocket. I was enlightened. I still play (with) lights out every now & then.

Fast forward to last weekend.
I stopped at a local bar that was open,(COVID has bars/grills open & closed by county here at present), and there were 5 players on the good bar table. Everyone knows me,so no-one wanted to play me. I coaxed the owner to play and everyone loosened up a bit.
I asked the bar-girl why they were playing in the dark on the other table, and she says the light is out. I took a loss and headed over to the dark table where a few weekend bangers were playing. This table was in a corner of the bar with very little light.
At any rate, I won both games there and was surprised at how well the balls fell in their pockets. I just knew where and how hard to hit the OB and set up for the next shot. I left satisfied, and left them to play each other again.

Playing in the dark definitely has advantage.

Yes, playing in the dark or turning your head before shooting is great training! Allen Hopkins could run racks turning his head and not watching the shot, that was amazing!

Here's a video where I describe some more secrets that I used to become a champion level player - Hope you enjoy and I appreciate the input my friend.

Reaching Your Highest Levels ------> https://youtu.be/tTFsuo8VWJU